Hiking with "tunes"...

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
pencak
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Hiking with "tunes"...

Post by pencak » Mar 10 2010 10:55 pm

Maybe I'm weird or some kind of old pre-electronic dinosaur but I find it strange all the people I see when I'm hiking that have earbuds on listening to music. To me, walking on the trail and listening to the same sounds that were around 500+ years ago in the same area seems natural. You're walking in nature and avoiding the enjoyment of hearing the natural surroundings? You miss stuff like the fact that Cadydid's make noise when you get within a specific distance from them and some birds warn when they see you approach, along with the relaxing sound of water, etc.

I'm not really trying to rip on it or anything, it just seems out of place to me. Listening to music while you're hiking.

Perhaps this topic has been covered before but I was wondering what everybody thought about this.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller

snakemarks
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Re: Hiking with "tunes"...

Post by snakemarks » Mar 12 2010 7:18 am

Hiking alone where I rarely see anyone else, I listen very intently to the real sounds around me. Jamming to some tunes would probably make me an easy victim for whatever. But, hiking in populated areas where you can hear other people talking all over the place makes me sometimes wish I had one of those things to block that out!

* By myself, I get stopped a lot by people who are a bit uncertain of where they are or how to get where they're going because I guess they're more hesitant about 'interrupting' a couple or a group, and the fact that I am alone must mean I know what I'm doing. :sl: But, I am always happy to reassure them and they are most grateful. I wouldn't want to make myself seem unapproachable to them by plugging into another world, but I wouldn't mind not hearing everyone else's conversations as I hike along.
I'm at home in the wilderness... it's civilization I have problems with! ](*,)

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Mar 12 2010 8:05 am

... I always pop the earplugs out if/when approaching other people... of course, hiking over here I've run across only four other hikers in four years of hiking... and all of those were on the trails directly leading from Alamo on a weekend...
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Mar 12 2010 12:57 pm

The grand canyon hiking out is a good place for one... When ever I use them I don' t put in both earplugs only one. Drives me crazy not to know what is going on around me...
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

T Harris
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by T Harris » Mar 12 2010 1:04 pm

I'm with Joel on this one. If i'm by myself i'll listen to some music, but that's only if i'm on a trail. If I'm off trail, it's always best to listen for rattlers. The best time to listen is when I'm set up for a sunset shot and I have to wait a while for the right time. It's awesome listening to something like Marvin Gaye (greatest singer ever) or the Fugees while watching the sun set!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 12 2010 1:15 pm

Dschur wrote:The grand canyon hiking out is a good place for one...
Or Havasupai. I can totally see that being a good idea. On the other hand, sometimes those busy hikes are like a moveable feast of conversation. Meet people from all over the world, chat them up, etc.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

DarthStiller
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by DarthStiller » Mar 12 2010 3:22 pm

If I’m hiking, I prefer to be able to hear my surroundings, also. It just never seemed right to me to listen to headphones. Part of the experience is the immersion and isolation. Besides, I still listen to tapes (yes, tapes, I am NOT gonna re-format 20 years of vinyl I recorded during college and my 20s), and a Sony Walkman is still kind of bulky as compared to an iPod thingy. But if I see anyone listening while they hike, I never judge, to each their own, do what you want (within reason).

I do like to jog outside on the canals by my house as often as I can (usually 1-3 days a week) and I always listen to tapes then. It’s nice to be outside any time I exercise, but between crossing the major roads (Frogger Joggin’, as I call it :scared: ) and seeing the same power lines and peoples backyards every time, might as well listen to some tunes.

BobP

Post by BobP » Mar 12 2010 4:23 pm

Use Ipod on runs and city hikes by myself...backpacking i usually turn it on in the tent and almost always fall asleep with them in.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

pencak
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by pencak » Mar 14 2010 8:46 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Or Havasupai. I can totally see that being a good idea. On the other hand, sometimes those busy hikes are like a moveable feast of conversation. Meet people from all over the world, chat them up, etc.
Case in point this last weekend. I was with a group of some other hikers and we had interesting and wonderful conversations with everybody we met on the trail. It didn't take up too much time, with a small talk about the wonderful weather, all the water in the streams, where they came from what we just saw, etc. Each encounter was no more than a minute or two tops. That is except for one guy. We came up and he was intently taking a picture and he appeared to not notice us. We stopped near him so as not to startle him and when he got done a few seconds later I said, "Hi" to acknowledge our presence and he completely ignored us. He apparently had earbuds on and couldn't hear us. We kept walking but it seemed kind of strange and un-neighborly. We kept walking thinking "to each his own" but it seemed like a sign of the times.
Pencak aka Larry Rudd
"I think I'm a verb"
Buckmaster Fuller

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 15 2010 3:45 am

I hike alone so much I get starved for company sometimes. Yesterday I drove 45 miles to Pinetop to the TRACKS hiking club meeting, so that I could find some folks to ski with after the meeting (see Elk Springs Draw I posted here). Anyway, it was fun--skied with 5 others in a new place where I had never skied before. I plan to go more often. None of them had ever heard of HAZ.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

Moovyoaz
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Moovyoaz » Mar 16 2010 9:39 pm

Why I don't hike with tunes... something might fall on me!

A beach, a jogger, a failing plane, and death
From Associated Press March 16, 2010
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. (AP) — Robert Gary Jones was a pharmaceutical salesman on a business trip, looking forward to getting home to celebrate his daughter's third birthday. He was enjoying a moment to himself on this resort island, jogging on the beach and listening to his iPod. Officials say the Woodstock, Ga., man neither saw nor heard what struck him from behind Monday evening: A single-engine plane making an emergency landing.
A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 17 2010 5:43 am

:o Yikes! That is sad!

Sun_Ray

Post by Sun_Ray » Mar 17 2010 8:01 pm

When by myself on a 'fitness' hike I listen to music unless I'm in the rattle snake time of year. They are out now so I put the tunes away.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Apr 19 2010 6:33 pm

I say save the tunes for something else. I mean, I don't care if someone else listens to music or what ever, but for me the sounds of nature are my music.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

survivalhike

Post by survivalhike » May 08 2011 10:30 pm

I used to hike with my i-pod until I was tapped on the back by another hiker that I didn't even see or hear come up from behind me (and I was in such a remote area that I really and truly thought I was alone). I popped off my ear buds, and said I was sorry that I didn't hear him, and to have a nice day. He replied, "good thing I'm not a mountain Lion, have a nice day." Never wore them again, and never will.

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » May 08 2011 10:43 pm

survivalhike wrote:... He replied, "good thing I'm not a mountain Lion, have a nice day." Never wore them again, and never will.
Even without the ear buds you probably won't hear a mountain lion. Typically they hear you and move away, or you feel them before you hear them. Always stay vigilant in the backcountry.
kevinweitzel75 wrote: for me the sounds of nature are my music.
I like to listen to the arguments between the voices in my head. :whistle: NO you don't!!! YES you do!!! QUIET just let me go to sleep. :sl:
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » May 08 2011 10:53 pm

I can't imagine hiking with music. I zone out enough as it is. If rattlesnakes didn't have rattles, I would have been in deep pumpkin on a number of occasions.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » May 09 2011 5:00 am

I don't really get it, either, but on the other hand I started hiking long before such things were available. I like the peace and quiet. I'm funny about where I like to listen to music. For example, I mostly only listen to it in the car. I can't stand having it on in the house. I'll crank it up loud, sing along, etc., in the car, but in the house it makes me feel nervous and unsettled.

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » May 09 2011 6:30 am

Anytime one is in a potentially dangerous situation, one is best served to keep all ones senses alert. ;)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » May 09 2011 11:42 am

kingsnake wrote:Anytime one is in a potentially dangerous situation, one is best served to keep all ones senses alert. ;)
You mean, in the car, too? No more Grateful Dead? :(

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » May 09 2011 12:42 pm

Al_HikesAZ wrote:kevinweitzel75 wrote:
for me the sounds of nature are my music.I like to listen to the arguments between the voices in my head. NO you don't!!! YES you do!!! QUIET just let me go to sleep.
Oh thank god I'm not the only one who has the same arguments! :sl:
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

Return to “Hiking 101”