Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Canyonram
City, State: Payson, AZ

Mogollon Monster

Post by Canyonram » Mar 10 2012 10:39 am

The Mogollon Monster is the Arizona version of Bigfoot. Here's a description:

"Like any self-respecting monster he is big and hairy and ugly. He is said to be about 7 feet tall, muscular and covered with long hair. And he smells awful. On the upside, the Mogollon Monster is said to be very shy, and as far as anyone knows he doesn't seem to have ever hurt anyone. He mostly stomps around campsites, making a lot of noise and tearing stuff up and eating all the food."

(from http://www.azcentral.com/news/columns/a ... tml?&wired )

Based on the photo identifiers posted by forum members, that description seems to apply to at least half the forum members (both male and female).

The TV program that investigates Bigfoot sightings was recently in Payson with plenty of residents claiming to have seen the Mogollon Monster. http://www.paysonroundup.com/news/2012/ ... nster-mob/

Wonder how many forum members have either seen or dated/married said Monster?

gummo
City, State: mesa

Re: Mogollon Monster

Post by gummo » Mar 10 2012 11:28 am

People will never stop claiming to have seen Big Foot (or something similar). That legend will never die.

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Mar 10 2012 11:44 am

I have never met a Big Foot, but if he is anything like that HAZ "out in the woods to long" backpacker that I met a few years ago coming off trail at the Rogers Trough Trailhead and getting into a white two wheel drive Toyota pickup truck I just might become a believer! :scared: :sl:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

WilliamnWendi
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Post by WilliamnWendi » Mar 11 2012 6:47 am

I've seen it! Pretty sure he started this thread...Shhh ;)
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Mar 11 2012 11:15 am

@Canyonram
@SuperstitionGuy
Maybe we need a HAZ Culture Label... :D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 11 2012 11:19 am

Did you all see Dave's photoset from the Powell Plateau he just recently posted? Trip was last July. He has a couple of photos in there he took via his binoculars. Check it out: http://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=19045 He doesn't say if the object was moving or is just a big burnt treestump, though. ;)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

SuperstitionGuy

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Mar 11 2012 1:22 pm

Outdoor Lover wrote:@Canyonram
@SuperstitionGuy
Maybe we need a HAZ Culture Label... :D
We all ready have one: http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=66592 ;)
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Mar 11 2012 3:16 pm

@SuperstitionGuy Ok that's just wrong on so many levels... :o
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 11 2012 4:11 pm

You guys, LOOK at Dave's Powell Plateau photoset! I'm tellin' ya! (Of course, it may just be a tall burnt stump, but I haven't talked to him to find out if it was MOVING or not....!)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

Canyonram

Post by Canyonram » Mar 12 2012 8:49 am

WilliamnWendi wrote:I've seen it! Pretty sure he started this thread...Shhh ;)
Brian, your words are hurtful. I'm taking the bus and you will not see me at the pancake social tomorrow.

My mother used to complain that I looked like a caveman. For years I accepted her opinion and suffered in silence. I finally shut her up when I told her I looked like a caveman because I was most likely conceived in a cave.

Jokes aside, every culture has similar legends regarding 'Bigfoot' or some other beast prowling the night. For most of human history there were indeed creatures just outside the campfire light to do you harm. Can you imagine unrolling your sleeping bag knowing that a saber-tooth tiger is on the prowl? The other function of monsters in the night is to keep the group together---fill a child's imagination with visions of a 7 ft. stinking monkey-man ready to haul them off into the woods and you have a quiet child who will stick around the campsite.

Hopi legends include Ma'saw (who guards the salt mines near the confluence of the Little Colorado River and Colorado on the east end of Grand Canyon) while the Navajo have Skinwalkers. Both are pretty good monsters to keep one on the straight-and-narrow. And if those monsters are out there, it is easy for the imagination to turn a black bear, elk, mountain lion or tree stump into an even more hideous monster---and give you status within the campfire circle for having seen one and survived to tell about it.

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Mar 12 2012 8:55 am

I'd rather deal with a Bugs Bunny-like abominable snow man than a skinwalker any day ... :scared:
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

SuperstitionGuy

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Mar 12 2012 10:50 am

I have a series of stories that I used to tell around the campfire including a few monster type scary stories. I would start with one liners and progress into stories true and not true hoping to draw the guests (normally Scout Troops) interests into serious character building stories and ending with one of my "go to bed" stories. My favorite go to bed story was not the Mogollon Monster but "Wait till Martin comes". There are many versions of this story and mine included sitting at a campfire on a solo backpack trip when three wolfs appear one after the other.

Following is a link to one internet version of this basic story:
http://www.sacredpaws.org/2007/06/17/wa ... tin-comes/

One time however the story did not achieve the desired results of the Scouts, one by one getting up and walking to their tent until all but the leaders were still with me at the campfire. This time all the boys hesitated, did not leave and I could detect some embarrassment from the Scoutmaster. After a few comments that did not achieve the desired result I realized the problem and asked them, "How do you normally put out your campfire before you go to bed at night"? No one would answer me, not even the Scoutmaster. Finally one boy about 13 years of age said, "We wiz on it."

This particular Scout Troop was vacating the camp the next morning so I asked them what would happen when the new arriving Scout Troop lite a fire in this fire ring. They all shouted out with glee, "It will stink!” I then asked them if this was a good tradition for their Troop to be known for. They all bowed their heads and said, "no.” I then asked them to start a new tradition by putting out their campfires with water which they then did.

Boys and sometimes adults need stories to help build, develop and correct behavior. Girls and women also enjoy wholesome stories told around a campfire. One 13 year old boy I met two years later even remembered my stories and when he recognized me immediately asked, "What happened when Martin came?"

And a post script message to Outdoor Lover. Your correct, I shouldn't have picked on Joe B. the way I did earlier in this thread but lets face reality. He likes it and is a good sport about it. We all love Joe and what he has done and is doing and we all appreciate him and support him. May he always have the health and wealth to continue what he is doing for the hiking and backpacking HAZ community!

:thanx: JOE B.

Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Mar 12 2012 11:04 am

@Canyonram
Interesting you bring up Masau'u/Ma'saw or Skeleton Katsina, he is the only Katsina that lives here year round. He is guardian of this world, the Fourth World, known as Tu'waqachi, World Complete. I saw Masau'u once at Shipaulovi years ago, very frightening to see in person. :scared: We deal with many Hopis, many are Katsina carvers and almost all would never carve Masau'u. Very bad Karma.
Since Masau'u is here all year he usually takes on the human form.
The telltale sign that one is Masau'u.......very large feet.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Mar 12 2012 11:15 am

@SuperstitionGuy
I should have put a laughing icon at the end of my reply. I wasn't offended. You were fine....Some things just hit me and make me laugh and wince at the same time, hoping that the person (in this case, Joe), really can maintain that sense of humor all of the time....I'm as guilty of jabs as anyone here and most of you I've never even met.... :sweat:

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 12 2012 11:19 am

When I went to the Gila Wilderness with Wendy she sang a lot of Irish ballads, which I rejoindered with old cowboy songs. That was a fun campfire evening.

Not sure about those wholesome stories, though. I tend to like risque ones... ;)

Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal » Mar 12 2012 11:48 am

SuperstitionGuy wrote:
We all ready have one: http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=66592 ;)
Ahhh the most scary and allusive beast of all.
The forum web master!

They're known for sneaking in at the dead of night and deleting posts and closing threads....... ;)
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

Canyonram

Post by Canyonram » Mar 12 2012 1:23 pm

Alston Neal wrote:@Canyonram
We deal with many Hopis, many are Katsina carvers and almost all would never carve Masau'u. Very bad Karma.
Just to mention the name Ma'saw (or Masau'u) or to speak about Navajo Skinwalkers (Yenaldlooshi) is bad business----you can call them to you. Skinwalkers are similar to European legends of human vampires/werewolves and have shape-shifting abilities. They can appear in human form---which is dangerous should you be in your human form while wandering around your campsite and someone expecting a skinwalker is armed.

Dwight Schruete recalled his own encounter with a werewolf. He claimed to have shot one but by the time he went to retrieve the body it had reverted back to his neighbor's dog.

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Mar 12 2012 1:40 pm

Must be a lot of werecows in Wisconsin every fall when a guy shoots a "deer" and it turns out to have reverted to its udder form ...
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

Dave1

Post by Dave1 » Mar 12 2012 11:01 pm

Spotted this guy crossing under 87 near Sunflower today.
Attachments
DSC07632.JPG

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 13 2012 4:08 am

Dave1 wrote:Spotted this guy crossing under 87 near Sunflower today.
Yeah, but what about your photos at Powell Plateau? A big burnt tree stump?

Return to “Hiking 101”