Woman stuck overnight on cliff in Papago Park

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Dave1
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Woman stuck overnight on cliff in Papago Park

Post by Dave1 » Jan 23 2014 3:32 pm

PHOENIX -- Fire crews rescued a woman who was unable to get down from a 100-foot cliff at Papago Park and was stuck overnight.

read more:

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Woman-stuc ... 16641.html

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Woman stuck overnight on cliff in Papago Park

Post by big_load » Jan 23 2014 3:45 pm

I wonder how much experience she has. I watched the first three minutes of the video, and she seemed extremely uncomfortable and tentative, even with much assistance. I wonder if she attempted descending backwards using all four limbs on her own, or whether she found it too daunting. However, it's hard to guess how different it would be if she hadn't gone a full day without water.

trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Jan 23 2014 4:22 pm

that would explain the helicopters i saw over papago when i got home from work this morning
bet it was a little chilly last night
looks like the climbing area on the main butte

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 24 2014 2:02 pm

@big_load
I wish the news broadcast did not refer to her as a hiker...gives hikers a bad name..she was not a hiker for about 19 obvious reasons!

Plus where is the remorse? she acted like she was a rock star in back of ambulance, like, she had just won something..lets see cost of rescue, potential for first responder to get injured...I am glad she found humor in it all and enjoyed her experience..

this one may have best been handled by Darwin...

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Jan 24 2014 2:10 pm

She did: 15 minutes of fame. :roll:
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jan 24 2014 2:21 pm

You pompous meanies! :lol:

She seemed like a hiker to me. I'm willing to bet plenty on HAZ have almost got into trouble at Papago. Scrambling up is fun, then you look back and question how you got yourself into such a spot.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 24 2014 2:37 pm

joe bartels wrote:I'm willing to bet plenty on HAZ have almost got into trouble at Papago.
Pretty sure I'd had about 22 bud lights the first time it happened to me. ;)
Profound observer

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Jan 24 2014 3:41 pm

22 Bud Lights would get you into trouble on flat ground ... ;)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

mazatzal
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by mazatzal » Jan 24 2014 3:46 pm

22 is unlucky. its about 13 real pints ;)

big_load

Post by big_load » Jan 24 2014 3:47 pm

joe bartels wrote:Scrambling up is fun, then you look back and question how you got yourself into such a spot.
Back in college, I scrambled up a cliff with some friends at Devil's Lake in Wisconsin. One of the guys freaked out a bit on the descent, and we stayed up there with him until he was ready to go. We just took it one step at a time, mostly butt-scooting down in the dark (or facing the wall in the hairiest parts), directing each limb placement as we went. I've seen that mental lock-up enough times that I'm not surprised when somebody reacts in that way.

friendofThundergod

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 24 2014 4:21 pm

@joe bartels
Actually I will admit when I scrambled up to those Bonita creek ruins, I did think yikes how am I going to get down now? And then I was like how long would it take for someone to spot me? Dogs were looking up like wtf dad and after about 15 mins I made my way down, but that first backwards decent off ledge certainly took some convincing to myself..but the possibility of "hiker spends 2 days on ledge waiting for rescue after climbing up to remote set of ruins crossed my mind"

friendofThundergod

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 24 2014 4:25 pm

My main concern would be a few more of those rescues..then the city of Scottsdale starts putting up fences..and ruins it for more responsible hikers you know...

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jan 24 2014 6:32 pm

I have experienced Mental Lockup a few times...It's no fun at all....But...Somehow, I told myself that I got myself into this, it's up to me to suck it up and figure it out...Sometimes it took awhile, but I always managed to get it done. Although I will say, on a couple of those, I had some very patient, understanding and helpful Partners....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Jan 24 2014 7:10 pm

Outdoor Lover wrote:I had some very patient, understanding and helpful Partners....
It's a heck of a bummer when you're alone. Gotta' love freezing up when there's a only a foot above and below you. :D

big_load

Post by big_load » Jan 24 2014 7:36 pm

friendofThundergod wrote:Actually I will admit when I scrambled up to those Bonita creek ruins ...
Wow, if you mean the ones where the Safford-Morenci trail crosses Bonita Creek, I'm not surprised. I didn't get close enough to search properly, but my quick look didn't turn up any route I would have been comfortable attempting.

big_load

Post by big_load » Jan 24 2014 7:46 pm

Patrick L wrote:
Outdoor Lover wrote:I had some very patient, understanding and helpful Partners....
It's a heck of a bummer when you're alone. Gotta' love freezing up when there's a only a foot above and below you. :D
Yes, a few times I've found myself thinking "I have to make this move, and if it doesn't work out, it will be the last thing I ever do". I'm more cautious than anyone I know, and I'll back out of most situations before they get that far, but life presents unexpected challenges.

friendofThundergod

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 24 2014 7:55 pm

@big_load

http://hikearizona.com/photo_m.php?ZIP=388967

Yup those were the ones big load, I actually scolded myself after because was solo with pups and I will not lie to quote Pam I Locked up a couple of times :? that blind down climb was worse part :scared:

big_load

Post by big_load » Jan 24 2014 8:33 pm

@friendofThundergod Cool! I can't believe you got up there. I love that trail, especially the slot canyon and the fantastically diverse layers of geology along the opposite creek.

friendofThundergod

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 24 2014 8:39 pm

@big_load
Midnight canyon is special, the huge chockstones, and sandy bottom a great little stretch of canyon

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Jan 24 2014 9:37 pm

@friendofThundergod
That actually looks like a pretty good crack and hand holds. I have questioned my self on more than one occasion. At least it looked dry. :)
http://hikearizona.com/photo=225925
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

Return to “Lost & Found”