Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
setheurer
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Lost Rope near Sundance Canyon (West Clear Creek), AZ

Post by setheurer » Sep 14 2014 12:22 pm

We were forced to abandon our rope (200' Sterling Canyontech Rope) and 200' green pull cord (basic 6mm accessory cord). If anyone is running this canyon and releases these ropes, if you would please contact me, I would be greatly indebted to you!
Sarah at 801-644-4997, or setheurer@gmail.com

Yesterday we had a fantastic, beautiful day canyoneering in Northern Arizona. We ran Bear Canyon and then Sundance Canyon (near West Clear Creek) without troubles. Three of the five of us have had several years of canyoneering experience and we have NEVER had to leave a rope. Last person down tossed the pull cord on the last rappel in Sundance, it was a clean throw, no problems, and there were not any suspicious cracks or anything we sae to stick it at the top. When we pulled the rope however, it was VERY stuck. There was some twisting on the last rappel, but nothing you would think to stick a rope. As we were descending the last rappel, the blue sky had clouds roll in and began to POUR! We found higher ground and waited, but as it would not let up after same time, we became concerned about the dirt road out, and after a few more tries, had to leave the ropes and hike out. We could not ascend the rope to free it, because of the storm. Back in Phoenix now and hoping to catch someone running the canyon in the next few days.
:( Thank you for any possible help!

Azbackcountry
City, State: Az

Re: Lost Rope near Sundance Canyon (West Clear Creek), AZ

Post by Azbackcountry » Sep 14 2014 5:29 pm

http://www.meetup.com/AZ-TECH-CANYONEER ... 206581552/

Those guys did Sundance canyon yesterday so you might want to contact one of the three in that group and see if they might have your rope

Azbackcountry
City, State: Az

Post by Azbackcountry » Sep 14 2014 6:14 pm

I just realized that you are probably the Sarah from that group on meetup, sorry it didn't dawn on me before I posted that

no avatar
setheurer

Post by setheurer » Sep 16 2014 10:45 am

Yeah, that was us. Tried to post on as many forums as possible because it's been raining like crazy and risky to take the 2 1/2 drive or so up there only to find out it's too rainy to go ascend or try and unstick it. :(

Naturally, I'll treat the finders to dinner (read as $50 to go to dinner on your next canyon trip) and some amazing cookies for hauling it up that fairly steep exit...

no avatar
setheurer

Post by setheurer » Sep 16 2014 10:49 am

Azbackcountry wrote:I just realized that you are probably the Sarah from that group on meetup, sorry it didn't dawn on me before I posted that
Actually, that WASN'T us, I was Sarah from a different group, but we posted to the AZ-tech meet-up about our stuck rope as well, and I thought that was what you were referring to. I'm assuming we exited after them, since we seemed to be the last ones out on Saturday. But I will still check if they ended up going, Thanks AZbackcountry!

Return to “Lost & Found”