Lost Dutchman

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
rally_toad
Quickapelli
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Dutchman's Mine

Post by rally_toad » Aug 01 2007 7:13 am

I was curious about what your guys feelings about the legend of the lost dutchman's mine were. Did it exist? Is it a hoax? Was it in the Superstitions? If so where are possible locations? I just was curious and wanted to see some other people's opinion on the mine and thought it would make an interesting topic to chat about.

I am fascinated by the history and the legend.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli
City, State: Canton, OH

Re: Dutchman's Mine

Post by Hoffmaster » Jan 21 2008 7:14 am

That's quite a bit of interesting info!
I changed my location to Mesaville. I like the sound of that!
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jan 21 2008 9:46 am

Guess if the Superstitions go from North Butte to the Salt River then
you go over a ridge to get there (wow, helpful, there isn't a flat place in the Supes)
has more possibilities.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

djui5
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by djui5 » Jan 21 2008 6:09 pm

joe bartels wrote:Guess if the Superstitions go from North Butte to the Salt River then
you go over a ridge to get there (wow, helpful, there isn't a flat place in the Supes)
has more possibilities.

Especially when Waltz said "It's over there in those Salt River Mountains" :o

BTW, there are more than a couple gold mines in the Western Supers. They just didn't pay too well... :sl:

rushthezeppelin
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by rushthezeppelin » Dec 04 2008 4:37 am

Some of the research I've done suggests that the apaches covered up the mine after they killed 2 Calvary soildiers who found it. Chances are very good though if it does exist it's been covered up and very well hidden (I mean if it was still a nice open mineshaft somebody would have found it long ago.

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » Dec 04 2008 6:33 pm

Nah, it's not buried, it's right next to Fremont Saddle in the side of the hill, I went to visit it last week. Can't believe out of all the people up there, noone has noticed it yet. :D
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 05 2008 5:41 am

You guys need a laugh today. On ebay for the past couple of weeks there has been a "Map of the Lost Dutchman's Mine - Original 1879" offered for sale ("buy it now" no auction) for $55,000!!! Since we can't put links on here, I will tell you how to find it so you can see the hokey picture, too. It's item number 320320278259. It's located in Collectibles/Historical Memorabilia/Maps, Atlases & Globes/United States Pre-1900/AZ, CA, CO, NM, NV, UT. Seller is vision.keepers, and he has a very good reputation on ebay. (I wonder if he built up a good reputation on purpose just preparing himself for this one sale!)

I actually reported to ebay that this is probably a counterfeit/fraud. This was well over a week ago, but they didn't remove it. Then I sent the seller a message. I wanted to be low-key about it, but even so, he didn't respond to it. I said, "I should think it might be difficult to prove the authenticity of this item." Nothing more, nothing accusatory, nor sarcastic, etc. But I have yet to receive a response.

I figured "a fool and his money will soon be parted," but no one has bought it yet! I guess no one is that foolish! I wonder, though, that ebay would allow it to stay up there. I wish more of you would report it as well.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 05 2008 9:28 am

azbackpackr wrote:I actually reported to ebay that this is probably a counterfeit/fraud. This was well over a week ago, but they didn't remove it. Then I sent the seller a message. I wanted to be low-key about it, but even so, he didn't respond to it. I said, "I should think it might be difficult to prove the authenticity of this item." Nothing more, nothing accusatory, nor sarcastic, etc. But I have yet to receive a response.
Sadly, that's not too surprising.

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Dec 05 2008 11:38 am

Sounds like he is a "visionary" and wants to be the "keeper". I will bid one dollar, do we hear two, going once, going twice....
:sl:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 05 2008 1:01 pm

Not an auction, though. Pay it now, $55,000.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 05 2008 1:15 pm

How much is he asking for the original Ten Commandments tablets?

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 05 2008 1:20 pm

:D

He's hanging onto those. And he just needs to run to the store for some polish and he'll be putting up the Holy Grail.

djui5
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by djui5 » Dec 06 2008 8:58 pm

rushthezeppelin wrote:Some of the research I've done suggests that the apaches covered up the mine after they killed 2 Calvary soildiers who found it. Chances are very good though if it does exist it's been covered up and very well hidden (I mean if it was still a nice open mineshaft somebody would have found it long ago.

I think your getting a couple stories mixed up here. The 2 soldiers weren't killed by Apaches. Clubfoot killed them. No one really knows where they got their Gold as it could have been a number of places. Waltz wasn't the only one to find Gold back there :o

djui5
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by djui5 » Dec 06 2008 9:02 pm

azbackpackr wrote:I actually reported to ebay that this is probably a counterfeit/fraud. This was well over a week ago, but they didn't remove it.

I'm not sure it's a fraud. He/she might actually have the original copy of that map. It's possible.

BTW, if anyone would like a free copy of the original please let me know :)

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Dec 06 2008 9:08 pm

djui5 wrote:
azbackpackr wrote:I actually reported to ebay that this is probably a counterfeit/fraud. This was well over a week ago, but they didn't remove it.

I'm not sure it's a fraud. He/she might actually have the original copy of that map. It's possible.

BTW, if anyone would like a free copy of the original please let me know :)
Are you saying you're $55k poorer this week? :D
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Dec 06 2008 9:10 pm

For five bucks I'll take anybody to the soldiers grave site between Miner's Needle and the Coffee Ridge. Don't forget the ten dollar sign up fee.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Dec 07 2008 9:55 am

$15.00 to be guided by Joe B., that sounds like a pretty good deal. Will you carry my pick and shovel as well? :D
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

rushthezeppelin
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by rushthezeppelin » Dec 11 2008 10:48 am

djui5 wrote:
rushthezeppelin wrote:Some of the research I've done suggests that the apaches covered up the mine after they killed 2 Calvary soildiers who found it. Chances are very good though if it does exist it's been covered up and very well hidden (I mean if it was still a nice open mineshaft somebody would have found it long ago.

I think your getting a couple stories mixed up here. The 2 soldiers weren't killed by Apaches. Clubfoot killed them. No one really knows where they got their Gold as it could have been a number of places. Waltz wasn't the only one to find Gold back there :o
Ya I've heard some conflicting stories on the 2 soldiers.....that they got killed by Apaches was just one of em. Also Waltz wasn't the only (or first) to find gold out there. Keep in mind we had the Peralta's before they got massacred by the Apaches. My money is on that Waltz found the old Peralta mine all abandoned.

djui5
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by djui5 » Dec 13 2008 8:36 pm

rushthezeppelin wrote:My money is on that Waltz found the old Peralta mine all abandoned.

Very possible! :) Makes a lot of sense. Also I think Deering did find Waltz's mine, and Kochera found a mine of similar quality in the area. No proof though.

Joe,
Is that one of the 2 Soldiers grave? I'd like to see it if you ever got time, or GPS coords will be ok, whatever you prefer.

azdesertfather
Peacopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Dec 13 2008 10:45 pm

azbackpackr wrote:You guys need a laugh today. On ebay for the past couple of weeks there has been a "Map of the Lost Dutchman's Mine - Original 1879" offered for sale ("buy it now" no auction) for $55,000!!!
Yeah, but hey...it's free shipping! Can't beat that...if you're paying $55k for a map, the least they can do is throw in free shipping ;) :sl:
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

azdesertfather
Peacopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Dec 13 2008 10:53 pm

Doing an ebay search for the name "Henry Hornish" (name of the alleged owner of the map, according to the ebay map selling post) led me to a website I hadn't previously known about... thelostdutchman Tons of interesting stories/pictures on the site...but don't think it's going to help you any more than the $55,000 ebay map will at finding the loot ;)
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Dutchman”