Dutchman's Mine

Lost Dutchman

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
rally_toad
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Dutchman's Mine

Post by rally_toad » Aug 01 2007 7:13 am

I was curious about what your guys feelings about the legend of the lost dutchman's mine were. Did it exist? Is it a hoax? Was it in the Superstitions? If so where are possible locations? I just was curious and wanted to see some other people's opinion on the mine and thought it would make an interesting topic to chat about.

I am fascinated by the history and the legend.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Dutchman's Mine

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 14 2008 5:53 am

I don't read the AZ Republic very often, but decided this story would make a good one for one of their columnists. I emailed Clay Thompson and told him about it. Maybe some of you who read the paper would watch for his column, see if he writes about it? (If there is another columnist I should have written to, also, let me know.) I just thought it would make a good topic for a local columnist, give him a chance to poke fun at ebay, etc. I sent the email just this past Friday.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 14 2008 5:56 am

PS, Yeah, I know, I must have too much time on my hands! And I do--I'm not working at the moment! However I have been doing lots of hiking and biking, and just put thornproof tubes on my mtn. bike so plan on a good dirt ride today.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

djui5
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by djui5 » Dec 16 2008 7:53 pm

dshillis wrote: thelostdutchman
If you click on the "searchers" link at the top you'll see a article I wrote about hiking to Willow Springs and looking for Ruth's camp :)

azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Dec 17 2008 5:06 pm

yeah, looks like ebay decided not to pull the listing...
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

rushthezeppelin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by rushthezeppelin » Dec 18 2008 10:59 am

The story of Henry's murder is the subject of a novel currently being written. (Movie rights have also been optioned.)
Wonder if this tidbit is true....

COMING FALL OF 2009 TO A THEATER NEAR YOU.....THE LOST DUTCHMAN IN 3D!!!!!!!

azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather » Dec 23 2008 7:00 pm

dshillis wrote:yeah, looks like ebay decided not to pull the listing...
yet it didn't sell today! imagine that...no one had $55k to waste...
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

rushthezeppelin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by rushthezeppelin » Dec 24 2008 5:45 pm

dshillis wrote:
dshillis wrote:yeah, looks like ebay decided not to pull the listing...
yet it didn't sell today! imagine that...no one had $55k to waste...
Not very surprising with the way the economy is :?

azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather » Dec 25 2008 7:01 pm

I think it was more that common sense prevailed, rather than a slugglish economy ;)

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Dec 02 2009 10:24 am

Big Lost Dutchman maniac here, been hiking those mountains since i was 8 years old! Found many "rock houses" as Dick Holmes always mentioned, i've read most every book that can be found in AZ referring to the Dutchman and if all the clues are added up...you don't end up anywhere in particular haha
history has been so jumbled and confused and when it comes to makes, Miss Julia Thomas went wild there.
I plan to keep up my trips into the wilderness, any plans are in hiatus as we just started a family, after my daughters 2nd birthday though we plan on leaving her with the grandfolks and heading out into the wilderness once again, it would be a fun thing to get a bunch of us gold seekers together for a fun weekend out in the middle of nowhere though! ;)

btw, Jim Barkley's book and another book by Glover i think his name was its called "The Holmes Manuscript" really good ones!

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 02 2009 12:19 pm

My skepticism meter is beeping very loudly...

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Dec 02 2009 6:40 pm

I thought that was my Geiger counter!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Dec 02 2009 6:57 pm

I would like to make a prediction. Sometime in the future a HAZ hiker/backpacker passing through somewhere in the Superstitions will take a side trip off trail for a restroom break and find an interesting rock, put it in his pack and forget about it until years later and then discover that it has a lot of fine quartz gold in it. Not remembering exactly where he picked it up it will become a new legend. The missing toilet paper mine! :sl:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Apr 30 2010 12:59 pm

I just scored a copy of Sims Ely's book for $30 on CL. :y:
That is, if they mail it, a previous attempt failed along those lines.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

outdoorsman74
City, State: Coolidge,Az

Post by outdoorsman74 » May 05 2010 12:40 pm

My belief is "maybe it is true, maybe it is not" There are many stories and variations of stories. There may have been a mine, but maybe Jacob Waltz was a thief and melted down stolen gold to pass off like he found it in a secret mine. Who really knows the truth anymore? Anything is a possibility. The orignal story could have been perfectly accurate, but being told time and again, I would not be surprised if it ended up that godzilla was being chased by bigfoot and the resulting wrestling match covered the secret entrance to the mine and changed all the natural landmarks.

Does anyone remember the old Native American that operated a rock shop by the south entrance to the saugauro national park on the way to Old Tucson? He claimed to be Geronimo's great great grandson, and he would say how the "real" superstition mountains was actually located by Tucson.

Lost treasures and mines are all out there. From secret mines to buried paintings to hidden weapons, it is not who is right or who is wrong, it is the sense of adventure that makes the trip exciting and worth the effort. Pull the kids away from the computers, tell the stories of lost gold, make a family day and just enjoy.

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » May 06 2010 12:17 pm

I don't doubt one bit that there is still gold in the Supes, but I'm not going to take special trips to the Supes to look for it. The myth of the Lost Duchmans gold is a wonderful story and just adds to the mystical feeling of the Supes. Walt probably found a cache of stolen gold and couldn't use it because it could be easily traced or something. And to make matters worse for him, he lost it or it was found or even stolen from him. Only the old and new sprits that lost their lives in the Supes know the true secrets. I love the feeling you get when walking the trails and looking at the history of those mountains . How lucky we all are to live so close to such a mystical place.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Jul 28 2010 10:36 pm

I believe there are things to be found in the Supes. There are certainly mines, probably a cache or two, and lots of old interesting junk. I've read a little about the LDM but I take a different approach. I figure thousands of folks have read the books and tried to solve the riddles. I doubt I'd do any better at solving it than they. Instead, when I have time I poke around off-trail. When I see something interesting I've had a good day and for me interesting might be a marking on a rock, desert tortoise, or even a lizard who doesn't back away at my approach. I've shared a drink of water with a couple of lizards over the years. Someday I may find something of value but even if I never find a speck of gold I'm richer for the experience.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 29 2010 4:00 am

azhiker96 wrote: but even if I never find a speck of gold I'm richer for the experience.
Amen to that! :)

I think it is more likely one of us would find a crashed airplane full of drug money than to find the Lost Dutchman's.

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 29 2010 7:14 am

azbackpackr wrote:I think it is more likely one of us would find a crashed airplane full of drug money than to find the Lost Dutchman's.
We might not live to spend it though!
Have you ever heard/read about that Tenaya Lake plane crash back in the 1970's I think, up in Yosemite?
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 29 2010 7:57 am

I just was reading a forum about it on a climbers' website. It happened in '77.

I would rather find the plane on the way back, with the money in it instead of the dope. I don't care about the dope. Pain in the neck to sell it. And I want my crashed plane not to be in the bottom of a lake covered with thin ice. I want to pick and choose where I find my dope plane! :D

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Jul 29 2010 8:14 am

azbackpackr wrote:I want to pick and choose where I find my dope plane! :D
Here!Here! I second that! It should have large denomination bills (with non-sequential serial numbers) to facilitate portage (money has to fit in my pack). If it was on it's way here, there should be a 7-11 or snack shop within walking distance...

Return to “Dutchman”