Lost Dutchman

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
wallyfrack
City, State: AZ

Stone House photo from the T. Glover book

Post by wallyfrack » Jan 02 2014 1:57 pm

I was asked to post the following response Thomas Glover gave to Greg Davis regarding the Rock House found by Tom Burnett shown on page 18.
And yes I've been looking for that thing all over the Supes and it's been worth every cut, poke, bruise, tear, welt, trip, fall, scrape and charlie horse. : rambo :

Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 11:39:34 -0700
Subject: Rock House

Greg,

After our recent conversation and one with Jack I wanted to clear up something. I do not want anyone getting injured looking for the rock house on page 18 in my book. I understand that there are people hiking all over Coffee Flat looking for it. Why they are looking on Coffee Flat I don’t know. There is nothing in the book that puts the house on Coffee Flat, or anywhere else.

The history of that photo is as follows. When I was putting the book together I asked Tom Burnett for a photo, preferably one in his Marine uniform. Tom said he didn’t have one, which I doubt. My guess is it was packed away somewhere and getting to it was way too much hassle.
Tom has since told me that he had no idea I was trying to write a serious book on the legend. Plus, he was in the middle of a life changing event(s) and that likely added to his reluctance to work on finding the photo.

I turned to Len and he said yes he had a photo of Tom panning for gold. Great! He also had a photo of a rock house under a cliff that Tom had found in his travels. Great!! Len never said where it was and I was not that excited about it, except as part of the Tom and Len part of the story. The condition of the house is what failed and fails to excite me. To me it appears to be a modern structure. The condition of the wood, the rocks seem to cemented in some fashion and to me it appears just in too pristine a condition to be all that old.

I do not know where it is. Tom and Len hunted many places before I met them. I cannot even say it is in the Wilderness. Tom lived in Big Bear and there are lots of lost mine stories in the San Bernardino Mts. and the surrounding desert. I just don’t know, at the time it was not important to me.

Now, there is something on Coffee Flat that is of interest. Something which I mentioned in the book. The story is told there. Before our trip into the mountains Tom had come to the conclusion that the Two Soldiers ended up on Coffee Flat. I never understood his logic on this point, but I was the new guy and more or less along for the ride on that first trip. Anyway Len came over to Tom’s and they poured over maps and aerial photographs. Then at one in the morning the phone rings and Len is on the other end saying, we found it, we found it. And yes, the location was on Coffee Flat.

So when we went in we camped on Coffee Flat and hiked to the location of what they thought was a covered mine. It turned out to be simply some exposed bedrock that happened to be round in shape. A lot of hiking and now disappointment, especially for Tom and Len. We all headed back. Len and his stepson, Scott, headed back the way we had come. Tom decided he would take what he thought would be a short cut, he was wrong. I decided to take a middle route. I got
cliffed at the head of good sized waterfall and turned back to follow Len and Scott.

Tom continued on and found himself in a heavily brushed, nasty little canyon. There he spotted the skull of a javalina. It was pristine, Tom wanted it. But he found there was no lower jaw. He got down and started feeling around for the lower jaw. He found it and it too was in great shape. But, in his searching for the lower jaw he also found an 1858 half-dollar.

Now from Tom’s description of the little canyon he was in it was not a place where cowboys would or likely could ride. Nor was the canyon one well traveled. It was apparently not one that really led anyplace. So how did that coin get there? In 1858 that 50 cents had the buying power of over 14 dollars today. Not something to be ignored. My guess is the coin was probably around for say 20, 30 or 40 years. If this is so, that 1858 half-dollar was likely lost before 1900 at the latest. More likely I would guess before 1890?

So who lost it? Why were they in such a nasty place? Prospector? Indian cache nearby? Bandit hideout? Somebody was in that canyon very early and it would seem that whomever it was likely had a near compelling reason to be there. If someone wants to hike Coffee Flat and is looking for something interesting that may tie into Waltz and his time I would focus on this. If anyone is interested Greg, let me know and I will try to get an idea of the general locality.

But, I really do not want anyone getting into a bad situation over a rock house. Especially one I cannot vouch for except it was found somewhere by Tom Burnett sometime. As I say it came from Len and don’t know even if Len knows much about it.

Thomas

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Re: Stone House photo from the T. Glover book

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jan 02 2014 6:12 pm

Would someone post the picture of the stone house from this book so we can comment regarding it.
Perhaps someone has seen it elsewhere in Arizona. :o
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

wallyfrack

Post by wallyfrack » Jan 02 2014 7:11 pm

tom burnett.pdf
(418.71 KiB) Downloaded 178 times

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 02 2014 7:25 pm

Interesting. When I first saw this, it made me think of the rock house in the cave near the Indian Paint Mine (which I don't believe still exists), but that looks like something different.

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Jan 02 2014 7:28 pm

Cool looking house Wall E, does this mean you found the house :y: ? Or just raising excitement about the search? :)
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

wallyfrack

Post by wallyfrack » Jan 02 2014 7:30 pm

If you mean Aylor's place, parts are still there.

http://hikearizona.com/photo=97053

wallyfrack

Post by wallyfrack » Jan 02 2014 7:34 pm

@nonot
From the email he claims it's just a photo of a rock house that may not be in the Superstitions at all.
I still have a planned route to do. I usually find something even if it's not what I started out for. :D

friendofThundergod

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 02 2014 10:05 pm

Good stuff Wally, maybe its a diversion though..its really out there and he is deterring other from looking ;) you are probably getting close...too close for his comfort..I will be in neighborhood for next three days, I will let you know if I find it..

big_load

Post by big_load » Jan 02 2014 10:29 pm

wallyfrack wrote:If you mean Aylor's place, parts are still there.

I don't think that's the one. Is the one Carlson describes has having been built by Ralph Morris in 1956? I'm sheepishly unable to adequately describe the one I mean, which could be a conflation of several I've read about. I once saw a photo in a book which I've been unable to find since I started looking again last year. It was vaguely similar to drawings of the supposed Spanish mine headquarters one on of the Dutchman hunter maps.

big_load

Post by big_load » Jan 03 2014 5:22 pm

big_load wrote:
wallyfrack wrote:If you mean Aylor's place, parts are still there.

I don't think that's the one. Is the one Carlson describes has having been built by Ralph Morris in 1956? I'm sheepishly unable to adequately describe the one I mean, which could be a conflation of several I've read about. I once saw a photo in a book which I've been unable to find since I started looking again last year. It was vaguely similar to drawings of the supposed Spanish mine headquarters one on of the Dutchman hunter maps.
Or it could just be a figment of my imagination.

wallyfrack

Post by wallyfrack » Jan 09 2014 11:59 am

Tom Kollenborn just posted this on FB with a photo. Hmmmm :lol:

"I know of three stone cabins around Coffee Flat Mountain. This was a stone cabin made under a large boulder. Once inside it is walled up on the back side also. I found a metal plate, US Army kit knife, and a P-38 can opener in this cabin. This site is located near Red Tank Divide up against Coffee Flat Mountain. Another cabin exist in a slide canyon with a bed springs suspended from the ceiling with four chains. It is an excellent bed to sleep in if you have some kind of a mattress, even without a mattress it is softer than the ground. I have spent more than one night in this old cabin when working for Barkley. On, the cabin with the bed springs not this one. I was afraid of bugs, snakes and whatever else in this stone abode."

The photo he posted was an older one of this location. http://hikearizona.com/photo=379005

tibber
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by tibber » Jan 09 2014 12:13 pm

ya I was hoping you saw that. Wouldn't you just love to hook up with Mr. Kollenborn for an invite to wherever all those photos are! We should volunteer to help scan them.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

big_load

Post by big_load » Jan 09 2014 12:33 pm

@wallyfrack
Maybe not a figment of my imagination after all.

friendofThundergod

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 09 2014 12:41 pm

@wallyfrack
I am now interested in the one near Coffee Flats...I think I have been to the other ;)

Tortoise_Hiker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Jan 10 2014 6:56 am

:lol: : app :
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jan 10 2014 7:48 am

tibber wrote:ya I was hoping you saw that. Wouldn't you just love to hook up with Mr. Kollenborn for an invite to wherever all those photos are! We should volunteer to help scan them.
You could probably do that as volunteer for the Superstition Museum.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Return to “Dutchman”