Linked Areas none
Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

River Rafter death

Post by Dschur » Jun 25 2009 4:16 pm

Grand Canyon news
Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The death of a Minnesota woman in her early 50's of Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS), has been confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The individual, whose name and hometown have not been released, was admitted to a hospital in Minnesota June 11 and died the following day, according to a press release from the River Runners for Wilderness organization.

According to Minnesota Department of Health officials, she flew to Page, Arizona on May 12, and stayed at Marble Canyon Lodge the nights of May 12 and 13. On May 14, the river runner joined a group of family and friends on a self-guided river trip that launched on the Colorado River in Grand Canyon from Lees Ferry, Arizona ending at Diamond Creek on June 29. After the river trip, the group drove back to Page, Arizona, and spent the night at the Page Marriott Courtyard before traveling back to Minnesota.

According to trip participants, the oarsmen slept on the boats and everyone else slept in tents. One of the rafters mentioned that she saw two mice at Poncho's Kitchen, a little over half way through the trip. It is not uncommon for popular campsites along the river, such as Poncho's, to be inhabited by numerous mice.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: River Rafter death

Post by big_load » Jun 25 2009 4:50 pm

Sad and scary.

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Jun 25 2009 5:40 pm

Sad and scary indeed.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Jun 25 2009 8:08 pm

Yikes, do you just drop dead of this virus with no warning, or do you have symptoms? :(
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Jun 25 2009 8:30 pm

What are the symptoms of Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome?

HPS begins one to six weeks after inhaling the virus in contaminated dust. The disease begins with 2-6 days of "flu-like" illness including fever, sore muscles, headaches, nausea, vomiting, and fatigue. As the disease gets worse, it causes shortness of breath due to fluid filled lungs and hospital care is then required. It is usually a serious infection and about 1 out of 3 people diagnosed with HPS have died.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehsphl/factsheet/hanta.htm
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

aa7jc
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Sierra Vista, AZ

Post by aa7jc » Jun 25 2009 8:31 pm

Good to know.. Thanks!

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Jun 25 2009 8:37 pm

Most patients die before HPS is diagnosed. The assumption being that they had a severe form of pneumonia of less exotic origins...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 25 2009 8:43 pm

I'm just wondering if this means we are entering another up-cycle of the disease. I do live in an area where it has occurred in the past. There has been at least one case in Springerville, some years ago that I've heard about.

One reason I have a cat...!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

azdesertfather
Peacopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Jun 26 2009 9:38 am

Yikes! So nothing really sets this apart from a normal virus until too late?
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jun 26 2009 3:12 pm

Another reason to stay out of the ruins and old cabins. I had to spend a night in one once and set up the tent inside for this very reason, just to reduce the chances of sniffing the wrong dust.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 26 2009 6:55 pm

Dr. Bill Austin of Flagstaff, a renowned doctor there, who is also a veteran Canyon hiker, once told me, after I had camped in a cave on the Bill Hall Trail, that camping in your tent in the cave is not going to help you. You can't avoid breathing the dust when you put your tent away, for example. He recommended that we should have set up tents out in the open. Actually, we didn't even have tents, which was why we sought shelter under that big ledge. (Some of you, no doubt, know which ledge on the Esplanade I'm talking about.) Anyway, I respect him highly and think he probably is right about that. Despite seeing many mice none of us got the virus. This was in 1993, during the time the virus was first becoming very well-publicized in the Southwest, and after there had been a number of deaths on the Navajo Rez. We had all been warned about it, but it was pouring rain, so we camped in there.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Jun 27 2009 6:31 am

Wow, that is scary. I've crawled around in more mouse poop than I care to think about. I feel really lucky at the moment to not have contracted that disease.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Jun 27 2009 8:50 am

There was a story floating around a while back about a pro climber who came down with HPS after a mouse found its way into his pickup at a match in Colorado, somewhere. Just goes to show how truly random something like this can be...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » May 02 2011 3:33 pm

Rangers Receive Report of Fatality on River Trip

Date: April 29, 2011

Grand Canyon, Ariz. – At approximately 1 p.m. on Thursday, April 28, the Grand Canyon Regional Communications Center received a report from a commercial river trip of a fatality at river mile 74 on the Colorado River in Grand Canyon National Park.

According to one of the trip guides who reported the incident via satellite phone, the group had gone on a side trip, a hike up the Tabernacle Route, located in the vicinity of Upper Rattlesnake and river mile 74. During the hike, a woman in her 70s lost her footing and fell approximately 100 – 140 feet suffering fatal head trauma.

Park Rangers responded via helicopter to the scene, began initial investigations into the incident and packaged the body for transport.

The body was flown via helicopter to the South Rim where it was met by the Coconino County Medical Examiner.

The National Park Service is conducting an investigation into the incident.

No further information is available at this time.

Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » May 02 2011 6:34 pm

I did hear it was an AzRA trip.

Dave1
Articulate Adventurer

Post by Dave1 » Aug 16 2012 1:50 pm

Hantavirus claims a victim at Yosemite:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/08/ ... -yosemite/

Return to “Grand Canyon Fatalities”