All posts must be respectful

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Very Sad news from the Grand Canyon

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Feb 27 2012 5:19 pm

Very sad news from the Grand Canyon. Ioana Elise Hociota, the wife of Andy Holycross died in a fall in Owls Eyes Canyon. Our deepest sympathy to Andy and the families.
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... -fall.html
A 24-year-old Tempe woman died Sunday afternoon after falling nearly 300 feet in a canyon northwest of the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Ioana Elise Hociota was hiking with a partner in Owl Eyes Canyon on the south side of the Colorado River, according to National Park Service officials.

Her husband, Andrew Holycross, said Hociota had hiked in the area before, had a back-country hiking permit and was carrying a satellite phone.

Hociota missed a check-in call on Saturday. On Sunday, he traveled to their designated pick-up point where he met her hiking partner.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Re: Very Sad news from the Grand Canyon

Post by PatrickL » Feb 27 2012 6:03 pm

So awful to hear. 24 is far too young.

Kenny
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Kenny » Feb 28 2012 9:30 am

I met Andy and Ioana at a friends wedding a couple years ago, talked hiking & GC stories, she always had a smile on her face & loved the canyon.

Here is a more detailed close friend & hiking partners discription:

http://edhensley2012.blogspot.com/2012/ ... lling.html

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 28 2012 4:53 pm

@Kenny Thanks for sharing that. It's very sad....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Feb 28 2012 6:28 pm

I heard about this on the news this morning. So sorry for her family and friends.
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

Cheerycow
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Cheerycow » Feb 29 2012 1:03 pm

Oh my...very sad. My thoughts go out to the family and friends.
"In the woods, too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child...in this wood, we return to reason and faith." R.W. Emerson

Kenny
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Kenny » Mar 02 2012 9:59 am

Link to a Romanian newspaper for pictures.

http://www.cugetliber.ro/stiri-evenimen ... ion-123157

writelots

Post by writelots » Mar 02 2012 1:30 pm

It is always sobering to hear about experienced, prepared hikers who still suffer for their sport. I know she will be greatly missed.
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

Cheerycow

Post by Cheerycow » Mar 13 2012 10:10 am

Kenny wrote:Link to a Romanian newspaper for pictures.

http://www.cugetliber.ro/stiri-evenimen ... ion-123157
Wow! Those were difficult to see. As we all look when below the rim, she was so happy and vivacious. So young. Each photo drove the point home just a bit more: like everyone with a passion for the Canyon, her face revealed her at-oneness with that sublime environment. She clearly loved the place. The happy wedding photo on the rim was very bittersweet. And the last photo of her scraped-up leg after a fall stopped me cold. It reminded me of several falls I have had and the close calls many of us have had. Below the rim we surrender to the majesty and to the dangers. Most of the time we only lose a toenail or a bit of skin. Sometimes we lose a lot more. I am very sad for the family and for her husband. Many people have not a clue why someone would devote such time and resources to risk the danger in the Grand Canyon. But there are a few of us that understand the value of that risk.
"In the woods, too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child...in this wood, we return to reason and faith." R.W. Emerson

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Mar 19 2012 3:39 am

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 19 2012 10:27 am

This fellow very young but died in his sleep the night before a private river trip, I heard:

http://www.standard.net/stories/2012/03 ... lees-ferry
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Cheerycow

Post by Cheerycow » Mar 19 2012 2:59 pm

That is another sad story, Liz.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Oct 09 2012 12:01 am

Here's a newly-published review of this story. It's sad, but very well-written, and a worthy read.

http://www.azcentral.com/travel/article ... ciota.html

Excerpt:
Matthias Kawski walked the Canyon's edge, staring into the void. He scanned the hillsides and drop-offs and retraced his steps for a sign of his friend and hiking partner, Ioana Hociota. He moved high and low for a line of sight into the abyss, but found nothing.

Kawski had heard a few rocks falling, and the quick, sharp scream that followed, but had little else to go on. He searched until a heavy silence
and the truth settled in, until his legs felt like jelly and there was nothing to do but walk.

He walked nameless hills near the Grand Canyon's west end, across lonely ravines and boulder fields, over thin game trails that vanished into thickets of sage and Mormon tea. He struggled over talus slopes and looked for a break in the cliffs above, with nothing but his footsteps to break the silence.
Ioana Hociota was gone.
Attachments
How a Grand Canyon trek ended in tragedy.pdf
(92.26 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Profound observer

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Oct 09 2012 3:37 am

So sad... not sure how to put such a loss into perspective...
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Oct 09 2012 9:44 am

This is no less sad to read a second time. What happened to her is the sort of thing I fear most on the trail. Sometimes all it takes is one bad step or one loose rock.

Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Oct 09 2012 10:01 am

Read it Sunday, very well written.
I took comfort in knowing it was a sudden passing (300 foot fall) and that she died doing what she loved.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

Return to “Grand Canyon Fatalities”