All posts must be respectful

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
ddgrunning
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Male Hiker Dies While Hiking on North Kaibab Trail

Post by ddgrunning » Sep 22 2014 2:13 pm

Not sure what the "fall" involved. The location referenced (1/2 mile below Ribbon Falls) doesn't have any of the typical precipitous cliffs you normally envision when they report that someone died from a fall at the GC. http://www.nps.gov/grca/parknews/male-h ... -trail.htm

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Male Hiker Dies While Hiking on North Kaibab Trail

Post by chumley » Sep 22 2014 2:21 pm

@ddgrunning
The link you provided describes what happened. The use of the term "fall" was used as a synonym for collapse.
[the man] had been on a rim-to-rim extended day hike with his two brothers when he collapsed.
Very sad, and certainly difficult for his two brothers who were hiking with him.
Highway to hell

ddgrunning

Post by ddgrunning » Sep 22 2014 2:28 pm

chumley wrote: The use of the term "fall" was used as a synonym for collapse
I guess, though assuming your're right, "fall" was probably a poor choice of words in this particular context.

In any event, very sad. Agree re your comment as to his brothers as well.

ddgrunning

Post by ddgrunning » Sep 22 2014 2:32 pm

Although it's not clear where the 911 call came from, I have noticed that there is a patch of the trail in that section between the north end of the Box and Cottonwood CG that actually gets some decent cell reception on Verizon.

Crzy4AZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Crzy4AZ » Sep 23 2014 7:22 pm

I have a hard time writing about this topic. My husband and I were the "bystanders" at this event. We are both physicians and it was a horrific situation to watch a man have cardiac arrest and not be able to do everything possible to save him.

I was the first one to come upon the group of three men. I saw one man on the ground and thought it was some minor injury. I asked if they needed help and it was very obvious very quickly that he was in bad shape. He was walking and talking normally and just dropped/fell on the trail without putting his arms out (according to the brothers).

I started CPR and my husband and I alternated doing chest compressions and yelled for a few people behind us to come help. No cell phone signal for anyone. We were two miles south of Cottonwood Campground. Some young French guys ran to the emergency phone at the campground to call for help. It was in the high 90's and in the direct exposed sun.

Another two people approached from the south and one was a German doctor (what are the odds?) - we all rotated turns with chest compressions but nothing else could be done without equipment. The first helicopter came after 50 minutes of CPR - but no medics or equipment. Second helicopter came 15 minutes after that and pronounced him dead.

I cannot tell you how awful it is to know how to help someone but not be able to do so. I held back tears until after we gave our report to the NPS folks who do investigations. Shook me up to say the least and my husband too. The man's face and the whole scenario flashed through my mind for the remaining 5 miles we had to get to Phantom Ranch (almost in the dark b/c of the 2 hour delay) - and we just kept talking that night about how it happened and why we were the people who happened to be there at that time. Has to be a reason. Made us both incredibly grateful to get back to the North Rim safely the next day.

About 10 or 15 minutes into the CPR, I asked if the man was religious and the other men said yes. So I said the Lord's Prayer and they joined in with me. He has two children.

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Sep 23 2014 7:31 pm

@Crzy4AZ :budrose:
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Sep 23 2014 7:51 pm

In the words of Janelle, you and your husband are good people. That is a touching incident.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Sep 23 2014 8:45 pm

@Crzy4AZyou can only do what can do in any situation. You all did your best with what you had to work with. No one could ask for anymore from the three of you doctors. As for the rest of the family they have to know you all gave your all.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Sep 23 2014 9:05 pm

How awful for everyone involved. :(

One of my best hiking buddies lost group member on a Grand Canyon trip from what normally would have been a treatable condition. It left a mark on all the survivors.

neilends
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by neilends » Sep 23 2014 11:32 pm

It will hopefully be some solace to loved ones that skilled physicians were there and gave him every possible fighting chance he could have had, under the harsh circumstances, to live. Thank you for being so kind to a fellow human being you'd never met.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." --John Adams

Crzy4AZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Crzy4AZ » Sep 24 2014 5:35 am

Thanks @neilends @joebartels @kingsnake @widowmaker @big_load

Very kind words, thank you

Return to “Grand Canyon Fatalities”