Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Albot
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

GCNP Back country permit changes

Post by Albot » Feb 15 2006 11:59 am

Has any one here had to get dates on their permit changed? If so, what was the process and were they accomodating to your request? any info helps. thank you

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Feb 15 2006 2:00 pm

It would be up to the availablilty on your new dates/zone(s). The BCO is open 1-5 PM, M to F for phone calls. They can do this sort of thing over the phone, I believe.
kurt

Albot
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Albot » Feb 15 2006 4:58 pm

ok, I just spoke w/ the backcountry office, and you have to mail or fax in a change request. They put it on the bottom of the pile for the month of your permit and it is processed in order just like your original request.

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Feb 15 2006 6:20 pm

In response to Albot's reply:
After the first week or so of each month there's generally not much of a "pile" remaining; and, of course, in winter it's about wide-open.

If the month is already "open" (ie. Feb. - June right now) they will generally tell you, if asked, if the day(s)/zone(s) that you're wanting is currently available or not. Then, I've found, it's generally a slam dunk if you fax in the permit request right away.

The first week or so of every month they are inundated with faxed requests that they make their way through. By about the 8th-9th the've mostly finished the "rush" and things calm down til the next month.
The BCO guys/gals are some of the nicest, hard working folks at the Park IMO.
kurt

Davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli
City, State: Northern Italy

Post by Davis2001r6 » Feb 15 2006 9:38 pm

Yes they have been very friendly every time I have talked with them. I usually call and ask about the dates and camps I'm looking at then fax in the permit. Usually have the permit in hand a week or so later. Never had a problem getting the dates I requested either.

For my next trip in March, I went in there in December to get the permit for the 18th. Didn't notice it up there, but they gave me a permit for Dec 18th, not March. I just called them when I got home and they sent me a new one out with no problem.

Albot
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Albot » Feb 16 2006 9:25 am

Thanx guys, I faxed my change request for the permit I have to alter the dates, yesterday, so now I wait. Ill update this thread when I get a response.
peace

Return to “Permits & Transportation”