Shuttle: North Rim / South Rim

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides  • Rim to Rim, AZ  • North Kaibab Trail, AZ  • South Kaibab Trail, AZ  • Bright Angel Trail, AZ
Linked Areas none
fprose
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Shuttle: North Rim / South Rim

Post by fprose » Aug 09 2006 9:18 am

I keep hearing about organized hikes from North Rim to South rim where you are transported (from Phoenix) to the North Rim, hike down and out South Rim, and are transported back (to Phoenix).

Does anyone know who/where to contact to find out more information or get on a list of interested parites?

Thanks,
Fred

fprose@gmail.com

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Aug 09 2006 3:45 pm

A shuttle service is provided seasonally between the North Rim and the South Rim for a fee by Trans Canyon Shuttle (a park permittee). One trip each way daily. Call (928) 638-2820. Scheduled service available until Oct. 15. Charter service available until Oct. 31. Reservations required.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Davis2001r6
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Aug 09 2006 4:24 pm

That is the only shuttle I've heard of myself. I haven't found any that transport you to and from Phoenix though.

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Request for Grand Canyon North Rim Info

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Aug 09 2006 4:55 pm

fprose wrote:. . . organized hikes from North Rim to South rim where you are transported (from Phoenix) to the North Rim, hike down and out South Rim, and are transported back (to Phoenix). . .
Joe's information on the Shuttle will be helpful if you are organizing your own hike.

If you are looking for someone else to organize the hike and take you from door to door, there are two options: 1) COMMERCIAL, and 2) CLUB.

COMMERCIAL
Commercial operations organize hikes all the time. For the commercial option, I suggest using Google and searching on "Grand Canyon" hike guide (or some permutation thereof).

My search turned up a list of sponsored links on the right of the search results. Four of the sponsored links provide the information for which you are looking. For a price I'm sure you can get what you're looking for.

For info on these operators or if you are not getting your question answered here on HAZ, you might want to join the Grand Canyon Group on Yahoo.

CLUB
Several of the hiking clubs organize Rim-to-Rim and/or Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim trips - usually in late spring and autumn. You can access hiking clubs here on HAZ on the MAIN Page on the MEMBERS line where you see the word GROUPS or by going to the MEMBERS box and clicking on the right of the drop down box then clicking on Groups. You would then need to look at each of the Group Calendars to see which Group is organizing this hike. Or you could contact the clubs to find out if they are planning this hike in the future.

The problem is that these RtoR hikes can be several months in the future and not appear on the Group calendar until the month of the hike. For instance, XYZ hiking club may be organizing this hike for early October. It would not show up on the XYZ Club calendar until the October Newsletter is distributed. This is considered an "A" hike on most club Hike rating systems. The "A" hikers likely to hike this hike will be talking about it and organizing it well in advance. If you are an active A hiker on A hikes, you will know about this hike well in advance, otherwise you may not know about it until a few days before it is listed. Some clubs limit hikes to 15 hikers, so this hike might be filled up before a casual member or non-member even knows about it.

One of the best benefits of belonging to a hiking club is meeting other hikers who become friends and who organize their own "off-calendar" hikes all the time. I belong to two hiking clubs. I consider the club dues a great investment since I save on gas and car costs; I consider my club participation a great investment since I get new hiking friends and knowledgeable hike leaders for hikes I would not otherwise attempt.

Hope this answers your question.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Aug 09 2006 5:11 pm

Here's an opportunity.....

GRAND CANYON RIM TO RIM HIKE
Sat - Mon, Sept 30 - Oct 2

This is an ADVANCED hike led by another hiking club, Early Bird Hiking Group*.

Please contact the Early Bird Hiking Group leader for additional information:

Leader: Charles Riekena (criekena@cjrazlaw.com)

Phone: 602-954-3912

There are a limited number of openings available. The cost is $335.00 per person/double occupancy. This includes: Two nights lodging, deluxe roundtrip motor coach transportation from Phoenix, snacks and drinks on bus and entrance fee to Grand Canyon National Park. Depending on availability, there may be openings for a Rim-to-Rim hike (in one day) or a hike involving an overnight stay at Phantom Ranch.

* Please note: Friends Hiking Club has no affiliation with Early Bird Hiking Group, nor has it any experience with the Group or its members. So please ask questions and be satisfied with any response(s) prior to committing to this hike.
kurt

Sun_Ray
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Shuttle now $70

Post by Sun_Ray » Sep 24 2006 4:54 am

Wife and I used the Trans Canyon Shuttle service on Sept. 18, 2006 and it's now $70 one way. I note this as all the research I did before the trip (many websites) listed it at $65. Must have just gone up. Would recommend this company as they were organized and their driver took the job very seriously.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Sep 24 2006 6:08 am

I've used the Trans Canyon service also, several times in fact, and always found them to be fine. The $5 hike is understandable given the $3.00 gas (in spite of the pre-election dip).
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Canyonram
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Canyonram » Sep 27 2006 8:50 pm

In response to Sredfield's reply: The Trans Canyon shuttle provides great service. Drivers are also lovers of the Canyon and the history of the area and provide great coversation on the trip. Very happy with them (and yes, it is up to $70 but the increased costs for everyone affects this service as well.)

fprose
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Shuttle

Post by fprose » Sep 28 2006 10:25 am

On October 6 my hiking partner and I will be taking the (highly recommend) shuttle from South to North Rim. I'll post again to let people know how that went and we'll be posting picture set for our trip down and up Bright Angel (south).

Thanks to everyone who provided input on this posting.

no avatar
sandpa
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by sandpa » Oct 03 2006 10:20 am

I (along with 2-3 others) am hiking from the South to the North on the 6th and back on the 7th. So I guess I will meet you guys on the North Kaibab 5:30 am shuttle to the trailhead ;)

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Oct 03 2006 11:17 am

I am the shuttle from North to South and then South to North. My husband is hiking it the 13th and 15th of Oct. I drop him off on the south and then meet him on the North. We then drive around for the day on the North rim on Saturday and then on Sunday I drop him off at the North rim and drive to the South one. I have hiked the canyon a lot but haven't done the rim to rim yet. Make sure everyone that is hiking up there gets their dinner reservations in soon before it is too late and there isn't any more.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Trailrunner
City, State: Nicasio, CA

Re: Request for Grand Canyon North Rim Info

Post by Trailrunner » Apr 23 2007 12:18 pm

In response to fprose's reply:

Trans-Canyon Shuttle charges about $70 one way. It leaves the North Rim at about 7:30 a.m., and leaves from in front of the Bright Angel Lodge on the South Rim at 1:30 p.m. It takes about 5 hours for the trip, with stops for gas and refreshments at Cameron and Navajo Bridge. They'll drop you at Kaibab Lodge or Jacob Lake, as well as the North Kaibab trailhead, if that's where you need to go. They add vans to accomodate demand, but reservations (along with a 50% deposit in the form of a check -- they don't take credit cards) absolutely need to be made at least several days in advance.

George Forman
George Forman

Return to “Permits & Transportation”