Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
dgroat
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Cottonwood, AZ

Canyon Permits

Post by dgroat » Apr 25 2007 6:25 pm

I'm heading up to the South Rim backcountry office on the first of the month for my September permits. Does anyone know when the line starts to form? Last year I didn't get up there til almost nine and drew a large number. Still got the permit I wanted but it was a long boring wait (all day)around the Village. I'd like to get up their early enough to quickly get my permit and have time to do a fun day hike. Do you think 7:30 is early enough?

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Canyon Permits

Post by hikeaz » Apr 25 2007 7:31 pm

In response to dgroat's reply:
I have heard a rumor that they hand out waiting list #'s the afternoon before. Mind you that this is a rumor.
kurt

Davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Apr 25 2007 10:41 pm

Maybe I just get lucky and don't go at "Rush Hour" or whatnot, but never seen more than 2 or 3 groups in there at once, much less people who are applying for permits at the maximum months away. Then again I don't think I try and get the normal routes. I guess I have been lucky for the most part, the only time I had been turned down was because it was within 3 weeks of the hike, they said it was open so I just showed up at 0800 when they open and they gave me the permit.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 27 2007 5:05 am

So...why aren't you just faxing it? That's what I always do. Do you have a better chance by standing in line?

If you have a better chance by standing in line I would assume you are wanting to go to one of the busy areas? For lot of the un-busy areas you can get a permit a couple weeks before your trip.

I don't have time to go up there and stand in line, so I always put a lot of choices of dates and different trails on the fax, just so I'll get something.

dgroat
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Cottonwood, AZ

Post by dgroat » May 02 2007 6:15 am

You're right, there's no need to go at "rush hour." I hiked the Grandview trail first, then walked into the Back Country Office around three o'clock. No one was there so I picked up my permit (Nankoweap!) and was out the door in five minutes.

Yes, I could've faxed my request in, but where's the fun in that? This way not only did I cut to the front of the line, but I had a great day at the canyon... Us Married W/Children guys sometimes need silly excuses to get outside!

Return to “Permits & Transportation”