Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Nan
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Transportation at North Rim

Post by Nan » Apr 29 2007 6:30 pm

Other than the early morning shuttle between the Lodge and the North Kaibab TH, is there any shuttle or other transport service at the North Rim? Otherwise it looks like a healthy walk to any of the THs from the Lodge. (I'm not thinking of the shuttle between the North & South Rims, just internal to the Park.)

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Apr 29 2007 6:35 pm

I don't know the answer for sure Nan. I do know there was a lodge to TH service posted at one time on the NPS site. You can read through the squable here
http://hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtopic.php?t=2375
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Nan
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Nan » Apr 30 2007 7:01 am

Ah well, guess I'll have to wait till I do my recon in August. I'll be sure to post my findings here. :)

I've got a Rim-to-Rom planned for October that gives me an extra day on the north side, with my car on the south side. I want to check out the Widforss Trail if I'm not too shattered.

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Apr 30 2007 7:34 am

I'll be up there before August, I can probably find out what the current status is.
Road to the North Rim is scheduled to open May 15th!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Re: Transportation at North Rim

Post by Dschur » Apr 30 2007 4:40 pm

In response to Nan's reply: I go every 6 months to the north rim and watch all the hikers come up from rim to rim while waiting for my husband to do the rim to rim. I drive over which gives him an opportunity to not go back if he doesn't feel like it. I will be up there on the 18th of May to the 20th. I have never seen them take hikers except at the early morning. We have been doing it for about 10 years now both in the May and Oct. The website says

HIKER SHUTTLE
A shuttle to the North Kaibab trailhead is available 5:20 a.m. and 7:20 a.m. daily. Cost is $5 for first person and $2 for each additional person. Purchase tickets at Grand Canyon Lodge front desk. Pick-up point is in front of the lodge.

I am my husbands shuttle. He normally starts out about 4 in the morning. It is 1.5 miles from the trailhead to the lodge and see lots of people hiking back to the lodge when they get to the top from the south rim. The only other shuttle that I see is from the mule riders down to the corral there.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Apr 30 2007 5:04 pm

Perhaps a hike description for the Lodge to Trailhead trail is in order? :D
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Nan
Exploring Kokopelli

Re: Transportation at North Rim

Post by Nan » May 01 2007 10:21 am

In response to colek's reply:

I'll be up on the North Rim October 3-5, so sounds like our plans don't match up. If your dates change, Message me - I'd be willing to do the drive on the 5th.

Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli

Post by Dschur » May 01 2007 4:16 pm

In response to Nan's reply: Widforss trailhead is about 2 to 2.5 miles from the lodge. It is another .5 to 1 mile past the Kaibab Trailhead and that I know there is no shuttle service to that trailhead. If you want me to find anything out on my May trip I can just let me know so I can be on the lookout and gather info. We are also going in Oct but I believe we are on the 5-7. The best thing to have during that time is a car or someway to get around while you are on the North rim because the first weekend of Oct on the North rim is the best for the fall colors of the aspen trees. There are a few near the rim of the canyon but some of the best are on the drive out to Imperial Point. And in the Kaibab National forest. We always do alot of driving and picture taking on the day between the hikes.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli

Post by Dschur » May 01 2007 4:20 pm

In response to Dschur's reply: http://www.nps.gov/grca/parknews/upload/NR_07.pdf

Here is a copy of the North Rim paper for 2007 all the info for shuttle is available as well as other info.
Dawn

Nan
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Nan » May 02 2007 9:08 am

Thanks everyone for all the great info. Sounds like my best option is change my schedule so I can park at the North Rim and shuttle south.

Return to “Permits & Transportation”