Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
tuliplrig2
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

walk-in permit for north Rim

Post by tuliplrig2 » Jul 01 2008 10:38 pm

I am trying to find out if anyone has ever tried to get a last minute walk-in permit for backpacking the north rim? It seems that I put my application in to hike the north rim to phantom ranch in too late and my days got denied. So it looks like my only option is trying the walk-in and getting a permit, apparently they only give out 3 a day. Has anyone tried this? Thanks for your help.

Meredith.

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Re: walk-in permit for north Rim

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 02 2008 6:01 am

Depends on what dates you're looking at. I've chatted with the backcountry folks at the North Rim a few times, and for the summer its generally no problem. September and October things become very tough.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jul 02 2008 8:57 am

I presume that you want to stay @ Bright Angel Camp? One option would be to call (1-5PM) and ask if there are any dates that ARE open. And, if so, immediately fax in a permit request for THAT date.
Second, you could try getting a permit for Cottonwood and backpack to Cottonwood on day 1and take the next day to go spend the day @ Phantom, etc. and then stay @ Cottonwood again. That way you'd at least have ONE option if the walk-up doesn't come in.
The North Rim, as you likely know, is a he@@ of a lot less crowded that the South Rim, BUT, they both issue permits from the same pool.
kurt

no avatar
tuliplrig2
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by tuliplrig2 » Jul 03 2008 3:11 am

Thanks for the input. My friend and I are trying to go at the end of September camping down to Phantom Ranch, it looks like you get the walk-in permit on the south rim? that's a 4hour drive to the north rim!! I am definately going to try and call to see what is available. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Permits & Transportation”