Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
ljm9304
City, State: tempe, az

Last minute permits

Post by ljm9304 » May 24 2010 10:17 pm

A friend and I discussed the possibility of hiking the GC this weekend (fri, sat, sun) and were curious as to what our chances would be. We've already been down and up the corridor trails and were hoping to get out on one of the less traveled routes. Specifically, in order of preference, the Hermit-BA loop, Boucher-Hermit loop, or any other out of the way route. Last time I hiked the GC I had a permit well in advance, and am unfarmiliar with the process of obtaining last minute permits. How do I find out if these options are available? I know it's purely specualtion, but what do you think our chances are of obtaining a permit to camp along these routes? Any comments on the different campsites along these trails?

Thanks

sirena
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Last minute permits

Post by sirena » May 24 2010 11:02 pm

I would call the Backcountry Office (928) 638-7875 between 1 and 5 pm and ask the rangers about what areas are available. Your other option is a walkup permit, but either way I would call first.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."
-Edward Abbey
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » May 25 2010 8:17 am

Get there before noon...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

no avatar
ljm9304
City, State: tempe, az

Post by ljm9304 » May 25 2010 1:24 pm

What is the trick to actually getting through on that line? Is it always busy?

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » May 25 2010 3:37 pm

ljm9304 wrote:What is the trick to actually getting through on that line? Is it always busy?
It's probably the same line the Interpretive guys use when they're hanging ot; I'd just keep trying until you get through. I wish they would get up to speed on a Web-based permit process...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Return to “Permits & Transportation”