Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Havasu Canyon Trail, AZ
Linked Areas none
no avatar
jchang16
City, State: Smyrna, GA

Havasupai

Post by jchang16 » Jul 14 2003 4:36 am

I will be doing the Havasupai Trail Labor Day weekend with a group of friends from Atlanta and, unfortunately, we will not be able to get as early a start as I would like to, due to people's schedules on Friday. However, I was hoping to drive up late Friday afternoon and then camp somewhere near (or relatively near) the trailhead so we can get an early start on the trail Saturday morning.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions. Your help is greatly appreciated.

glenntm
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Re: Havasupai

Post by glenntm » Jul 14 2003 8:04 am

In response to jchang16's reply:

There is plenty of room to camp for the night at the trail head. Nothing to write home about, but it will enable you to get an early start in the morning. Not a bad view to wake up to either.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jul 14 2003 9:53 am

Either on the way to, or the way back, you should not miss Delgadillo's Sno-Cap in Seligman. It is one-of-a-kind.
kurt

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jul 14 2003 9:55 am

Oh I miss Bill Leverton's craggly voice on the local news excerpts

http://www.travelsw.com/southwest-trips ... oute66.cfm
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

no avatar
jchang16
City, State: Smyrna, GA

Post by jchang16 » Jul 14 2003 1:24 pm

It is my understanding that you are not allowed to camp on reservation without paying the per night fee. Is the trailhead not in the reservation?

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jul 14 2003 1:43 pm

Have camped in the T/H Parking Lot the night before hiking in 6 or 8 times, and have never been asked for a permit/fee.
kurt

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 14 2003 1:44 pm

good question

I couldn't find anything on the internet about needing a permit to camp at the trailhead
which yes is on the Hualapai Reservation unless I'm blind

countless pages mention camping at the trailhead but nothing about needing a permit

as mentioned on the Havasu Canyon page
Fees/Permit: (928) 448-2121 Havasu - Call & Ask

so I called
you don't need a permit & yes it's allowed
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

olesma
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by olesma » Jul 14 2003 4:24 pm

jchang16 wrote:I was hoping to drive up late Friday afternoon and then camp somewhere near (or relatively near) the trailhead so we can get an early start on the trail Saturday morning.
Heck - you can't ask for a better scenario. Give the "early start" thing a pass and just drive up and start hiking. A night-time hike into the canyon is the best way to go in my opinion. The trail is hard to miss, the scenery at night is simply other-worldly and it's not hot at all. I've hiked an early start (1 hour prior to sunrise), not so early start (7:00 AM start time), farily late start (10:00 AM) and night hike (1:00 AM start). I much prefer the night hike to the other times.

The other option, of course is to reverse that and hike in with an early start and then out as a night hike. Either way - in my opinion - a night hike simply should not be missed.

desertgirl
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by desertgirl » Jul 15 2003 9:23 am

If you are hiking in late -- have good flashlights/headlamps. The trails are a bit of a challenge towards the end after a few hours in the summer heat (especially if you are hauling in your packs -- of course depends on how heavy they are ). I'd hate to loose my footing as I descend towards camp..the descent is quite steep as it skirts the waterfalls

Have fun

jmangum
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by jmangum » Jul 15 2003 5:26 pm

My favorite time to start the hike in is between 3:00 - 4:00am. That way you can get to the village about 8:00, check in and your good to go. You'll be at the campground early enough to get a great spot and You'll be swimming before noon. If you leave that early you will also miss the "great havasupai highway" - mule trains, hordes of hikers, and the if your real lucky the helecopter flying past every 20 minutes.
"You know, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't work."
-Calvin

desertgirl
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by desertgirl » Jul 16 2003 9:21 am

jmangum wrote: If you leave that early you will also miss the "great havasupai highway" - mule trains, hordes of hikers, and the if your real lucky the helecopter flying past every 20 minutes.
Excellent point...This does make life a lot harder -- especially the mule trains & the dust they raise.

David Garcia
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by David Garcia » Sep 22 2003 2:40 pm

Sorry, I did not see your message until now. It would have been fun saying hi to you down at the falls. I was also at Havasupai this past labor Day. You may recognize the waterfall behind me in my picture. It was my eigth annual trip. This time I took a digital camera. All I have to do now is get them posted.
Well, maybe next year.

Greg Jackson

Post by Greg Jackson » Oct 21 2003 1:32 pm

I'm going in this weekend,

Can anyone tell me about the water quality. The food availiblity vs. cost at the store in town. And is the cafeteria any good?

Also, what are your ideas of the can't miss attraction down there?

Thanks!
Dog is my co-pilot.

olesma
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by olesma » Oct 21 2003 2:02 pm

Water quality: good - if you get it from the tap (they have them in quite a few places)
Cafeteria/store in town: not over priced - and the mexican food isn't terrible (they have a decent beef and been burrito if I recall - filling and quite good, even if you tent-mate will hate you for it)

Can't miss attractions - well, you have to descend to Mooney Falls - then I highly recommend a hike down to the Colorado. Great little trip there.

There used to be a spot called Indian Springs (or falls) but I understand that it isn't quite as pretty as it used to be.
'Weird is a relative, not an absolute.' - A. Einstein

Glitter

Post by Glitter » Jan 05 2004 2:08 pm

Does anyone know if the phone number Joe gives is correct? I've tried it a couple of times and it just keeps on ringing. Also, what does it normally cost for permits down there. Any info would be appreciated.
Keep on truckin'
-Chris

Shi
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by Shi » Jan 05 2004 3:10 pm

In response to Glitter's reply: The number I have is 928-448-2141, the cost for on season is $20 a person to enter and $10 a person per camping night. Hope that helps. When are you planning on going?
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."

Ancient Indian Proverb

azhiker96

Post by azhiker96 » Jan 05 2004 3:18 pm

I haven't checked the number on HAZ but here's the tribe's website,
http://www.havasupaitribe.com/

Their reservations number is listed as 928 448 2120. There's usually one person near the phone. The cost per person is $20 to enter and $10 per night to camp. I haven't stayed in the lodge or eaten at the restaurant. I heard the pancakes stacks were huge. Prices in the store were about double what I find here which is not unreasonable considering everything has to be helicoptered or mule packed in. It's real easy to get reservations. Also, last October we drank the water coming out of the pipe at Fern Spring without treatment and had no problems. Have fun!
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain

Glitter

Post by Glitter » Jan 05 2004 4:02 pm

In response to Shi's reply:
Thanks for the help, I will try these different numbers out. I am planning on going up for Labor Day with a large group, hopefully everything works out.
Keep on truckin'
-Chris

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 05 2004 5:16 pm

In response to Glitter's reply:

That number was good a year ago (11/02). It wasn't regularly staffed then either, especially in the off season. The entry fee was $20 each, plus $10 per person per night camping, plus 5% tax.

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

g

Post by te_wa » Jan 06 2004 8:24 am

my 2 cents: this time of year you dont have to make reservation. The trailhead is NOT a campsite, simply a parking lot. It is advised to sleep in your vehicle, temps on Hualapai hilltop and temps in the canyon vary steeply sometimes 40 degree difference. Water from the treatment "hut" was contaminated/untreated as of Sept. 03. We drank directly from the spring coming out of the cliff wall near the treatment bldg. No adverse affects. I would surely Purify (using viral filter) for the creek itself. Make sure to dayhike to Beaver Falls, 2 miles beyond Mooney. Like I said before, in January you are going to see maybe 15 tents in the canyon floor on a Saturday. Although it may be especially crowded for unknown reasons so its up to you.
:D

Return to “Havasu”