Linked Guide  • Havasu Canyon Trail, AZ
Linked Areas none
no avatar
jchang16
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Smyrna, GA

Havasupai

Post by jchang16 » Jul 14 2003 4:36 am

I will be doing the Havasupai Trail Labor Day weekend with a group of friends from Atlanta and, unfortunately, we will not be able to get as early a start as I would like to, due to people's schedules on Friday. However, I was hoping to drive up late Friday afternoon and then camp somewhere near (or relatively near) the trailhead so we can get an early start on the trail Saturday morning.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions. Your help is greatly appreciated.

no avatar
tibor75
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: g

Post by tibor75 » Jan 09 2004 8:55 pm

I just made my reservation today for the havasu campground. the number to use is 448-2141. It's always busy..I got through on my 30th try. I'm going in late march...anybody have a general idea as to what the weather will be like? thanks.

photohiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mishawaka, Indiana

havasu falls in may

Post by photohiker » Jan 26 2005 4:40 am

For anyone interested,I will be hiking to havasu on the morning of may 22nd.I plan on staying 3 nights and hiking out on may 25th.It took me awhile to get through and make campground reservations.The phone was always busy.I finally got through.The number I called was 928-448-2141.When I asked the person on the phone,I was told that the water is already treated.However the havasupai tribe website says to filter any water.Does anyone know for sure? I don't want to bring a water pump if I don't have to.

desertgirl
Bika pelli
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by desertgirl » Apr 19 2005 12:55 pm

I have consumed the water with & without treating to no ill effects -- The water is usually clear so you do not necessarily need a filter --

But I would recommend treating the water before consumption; especially in light of recent posting about general cleanliness etc -- not worth the risks ..The place is just too beautiful to spend worrying ....

mcontreras
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by mcontreras » Aug 19 2005 7:41 am

Could this be a day hike? If course we would start the hike pretty early, but just wanted to know if it could be a day hike.
JJ & Michelle Parents of 3

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Aug 19 2005 7:50 am

If you leave the kids at home, it could be a day hike, but it would be miserable. I did it in a weekend last October, and it wasn't enough time to enjoy the falls at all. It could be done in a day, a long day, but you will kick yourself for not allowing time to enjoy the falls!

mcontreras
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by mcontreras » Aug 19 2005 10:00 am

I would love to bring the kids on this hike, but that would be almost impossible. I love for them to experience the same things we do, so that they enjoy being out in nature and learn to respect it, but I also know that they can learn to hate it if their experiences are not fun or just bad.

So for this trip they would have to stay with the sitter. Maybe when they are older, much older we can do a family hike.

We are trying to plan a trip for sometime next year or sooner if we can. Do you have to make reservations for camping spots? If so, how far in advance?
JJ & Michelle Parents of 3

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Aug 20 2005 8:21 pm

mcontreras wrote: Do you have to make reservations for camping spots? If so, how far in advance?
Yes, you need a permit and reservations. I can't remember how far in advance, but I think it's something like 30 days. It's a nice fall trip, but it seems harder to get through to make reservations. It once took me a couple weeks of trying several times a day.

bryanmertz
Exploring Kokopelli

Re: Havasupai

Post by bryanmertz » Mar 12 2008 10:03 pm

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I would continue this one. There is a group of five of us going up Thur-Sun in May. Just curious what the opinion is on starting in on Thursday? We are hoping to beat the crowds down, but now I'm questioning if that's reasonable unless we get on the trail 5-6am?

Also - what's the driving time to the TH from Phoenix?

And any other tid-bits the veterans feel like sharing? Weather in the middle of May? Rain? Bugs? Dogs?

Bryan

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Mar 12 2008 10:17 pm

I just updated the page with the a new trailhead feature that spits out estimates on time from google. It's posting 5 hours. Not sure how that road runs. If it's smooth like some of the Navajo roads it could be a true time.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Mar 13 2008 8:16 am

bryanmertz wrote:Rather than start a new thread, I figured I would continue this one. There is a group of five of us going up Thur-Sun in May. Just curious what the opinion is on starting in on Thursday? We are hoping to beat the crowds down, but now I'm questioning if that's reasonable unless we get on the trail 5-6am?

Also - what's the driving time to the TH from Phoenix?

And any other tid-bits the veterans feel like sharing? Weather in the middle of May? Rain? Bugs? Dogs?

Bryan
5 hours is about right.
I generally go towards Prescott, use the new bypass out to 89, then up to Ash Fork & then over & up to the T/H.
I always try and stop at Delgadillo's Snow Cap in 'downtown'? Seligman - it's a hoot.
I've not encountered bugs in May - you WILL see a bunch of res dogs. Weather should be good for swimming, and, as it will be warm, make for a lighter pack as well.
There are a few campsites that you need to cross the creek to access; seems that when I've used these sites that I've been a little more protected from undue encroachment from other campers.
Keep any, or as much as you can anyway, gear INSIDE your tent (if you are using one) at night - especially your shoes. Seems that some RESidents think it's a garage sale at night.
As well, there are ringtails from time-to-time, so protect your food bag accordingly.
The hike is an easy one, with the only caveats being some 'sand-slogging' and, of course, the 1.5 miles of switchbacks on the way out. Overall, though, the hike itself is a piece-of-cake.
I would also highly recommend the hike down to the Colorado since you will have the time.
kurt

Return to “Havasu”