Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
ljm9304
City, State: tempe, az

Alternate routes, Havasupai falls

Post by ljm9304 » Jan 17 2008 12:57 am

Looking at the topo map I see a dirt road that runs along the top of long mesa to the west of the normal route, does anyone know anything about this? What is it used for and has anyone ever hiked this in? I've been to havasupai a few times and I am looking for a different approach.

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Alternate routes, Havasupai falls

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jan 17 2008 7:47 am

Don't get your hopes up until you check with the Tribe. You are on their Sovereign Territory. I would suggest going to Peach Springs and talking with them. You might be able to "hire" a guide for a large sum of money. Don't get caught on their land without appropriate permission. They don't like that.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 27 2008 7:39 am

I agree. You can get an old out-of-print guidebook that shows all sorts of trails leading into Supai, and also a lot of trails to the rim, etc., from Supai. But they don't want you on those trails. My pals got caught one time trying to hike up to the rim from the cemetery that is between Supai and Havasu Falls. They were lucky not to have to pay a fine.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

no avatar
jkern15674
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by jkern15674 » Aug 19 2008 12:10 am

I have spoken with the tribe on this subject and because of different sacred sites the only route is the main trial from hilltop or if you are in the GC you can hike up from the river. Harvey Butchart has documented many "routes" into the canyon from both the East side and West sides.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 20 2008 4:38 am

Re-reading this I see I mentioned that cemetery. That is where a large number of campers ended up waiting for the helicopter this week, according to an interview I saw on TV with one of them. When you are walking down the trail, that cemetery is on your left as you're approaching the top of Havasu Falls. There is a trail to the rim from there.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Havasu”