Havasu Canyon Trail

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Chagmann
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Reopening?

Post by Chagmann » Jan 30 2009 12:08 pm

Does anyone have anymore information on Havasupai reopening after the flooding last year? I know the website says early May but no one answers the phone over there. I wonder if the water will still be that brilliant turqouise, or if the flooding changed anything...

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Reopening?

Post by chumley » Jan 30 2009 12:26 pm

Search "youtube havasu creek flood damage usgs" for a video of the result of the flood. Things are very different down there, but I don't have any further details than what the website says. Since tourism is such an integral part of their economy, they will probably try to publicize the opening to get people to come back as soon as possible.

As for your question, the flooding has certainly changed the landscape, but the water comes from the same source and has the same minerals in it, so the color will be the same as its always been.
Highway to hell

Chagmann

Post by Chagmann » Jan 30 2009 12:55 pm

thx! yeah you're right about the landscape, wow.

azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Jan 30 2009 3:15 pm

chumley wrote:Search "youtube havasu creek flood damage usgs" for a video of the result of the flood.
Wow, that is one sobering video. The bridge there was totally destroyed to the foundation...
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

nonot

Post by nonot » Jan 30 2009 4:08 pm

On Youtube, look for "New Supai" posted by fnotl, it shows the new awesome 50 foot falls, the wood-plank "bridges", the dried up Navajo Falls, Havasu Falls with the stacked rock attempting to rebuild the travertine dam, the campgrounds with trees (flatter and less privacy as trees have suffered some damage), and mooney falls without the lagoon.

At the end it shows them finding a picnic table from before the flood, you'll be surprised where they find it.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

chumley

Post by chumley » Jan 30 2009 4:29 pm

There's also another video showing Mooney Falls during the flood. What an amazing video that is. Dark brown water flowing over the entire ledge ... basically from canyon wall to canyon wall.
Highway to hell

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Apr 29 2009 10:28 pm

I was watching KPHO at 10pm this evening and they said that Havasu canyon was supposed to open on May 1st but because of the Swine flu they were going to not open till later in May (I think the end of May). Have been searching for info anywhere else on the net but can't find a it true or not true. Not even on their website. So anyone with Reservations for hiking this month might want to check and see if it still is okay to do.....
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 30 2009 4:34 am

So, they are buying into the media feeding frenzy. I hear that stocks for the companies that manufacture Relenza and Tamiflu are skyrocketing.

Someday there may be a true epidemic and no one will believe them, because they always cry wolf.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Vaporman
City, State: SLC, Utah

Post by Vaporman » Apr 30 2009 5:21 am

They're just buying themselves some extra time...
Yea, canyoneering is an extreme sport... EXTREMELY dramatic!!! =p

writelots

Post by writelots » Apr 30 2009 9:30 am

nonot wrote:On Youtube, look for "New Supai" posted by fnotl, it shows the new awesome 50 foot falls, the wood-plank "bridges", the dried up Navajo Falls, Havasu Falls with the stacked rock attempting to rebuild the travertine dam, the campgrounds with trees (flatter and less privacy as trees have suffered some damage), and mooney falls without the lagoon.
pretty amazing video. Makes me want to go check it out! I'm especially interested in that beach below Mooney - that debris pile must have some amazing things in it! I wonder how long it would take for that to slowly erode away!?
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

chumley

Post by chumley » Apr 30 2009 11:59 am

azbackpackr wrote:So, they are buying into the media feeding frenzy. I hear that stocks for the companies that manufacture Relenza and Tamiflu are skyrocketing.

Someday there may be a true epidemic and no one will believe them, because they always cry wolf.
I couldn't agree more. Approximately 36,000 Americans DIE every year from the flu. So far there are 109 cases of H1N1 in the United States, and one fatality (an infant brought to a Brownsville hospital from Mexico for treatment).

I'm not a health expert but I play one on TV. Mass-hysteria is not the answer here. Prudent caution is just fine.
Highway to hell

chumley

Post by chumley » Apr 30 2009 12:13 pm

nonot wrote:On Youtube, look for "New Supai" posted by fnotl
You can skip the first 3 minutes ... just the hike down. And grab yourself some dramamine before you watch it. There's more transitions than the worst-ever business meeting powerpoint presentation.

I can't wait for the sediment to sprout up all kinds of new grasses and greenery. Probably happening now. Should look awesome again in a few years.
Highway to hell

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Apr 30 2009 12:27 pm

A lot of random video stills thrown in, too...
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Ania

Post by Ania » May 07 2009 3:06 pm

I just received an email from them stating they are re-opening June 1st. I'm hiking in July so I'm hoping no rain and blue waters.

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » May 11 2009 4:56 pm

Yup there open, soonest permit I could get was the weekend of july 11th. They sure did book up quick!
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather » May 11 2009 10:59 pm

base871 wrote:Yup there open
:DANCE:
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather » May 29 2009 5:17 pm

Ariz. tribe hit by flooding to reopen to visitors

May 29, 2009 11:47 AM
Associated Press

FLAGSTAFF - Arizona's Havasupai Tribe is ready to welcome back tourists after months spent repairing trails and clearing debris from a flood that swept through their reservation last summer.

Tribal vice chairman Matthew Putesoy says the reservation deep in a gorge off the south side of the Grand Canyon plans to reopen to visitors on Monday.

Water from a summer thunderstorm surged through the canyon in mid-August, forcing the evacuations of hundreds of residents and tourists. Tribal members soon returned, but the reservation remained closed to tourists.

The area is best known for its towering blue-green waterfalls.

Those who hope to travel there might have to wait a while. Reservations at the lodge and campground are booked through mid-July.

sirena

Post by sirena » Jun 06 2009 9:00 pm

Here's a trip report from after the flood that has a lot of pictures:
( dead link removed )
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."
-Edward Abbey
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

fairweather8588
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by fairweather8588 » Jun 06 2009 9:09 pm

the new falls look awesome
No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac

Return to “Havasu”