Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Ania
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Havasu Falls

Post by Ania » May 07 2009 3:03 pm

I'm hiking the Havasu Falls this summer. However, we have decided to arrive on Friday somewhere close by and stay the night and then early in the morning start the hike on Saturday. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a hotel/motel and an area. We will be coming from Phoenix. It was recommended to stay in Peach Springs, but by looking at the map posted here with directions, it appears we would be getting farther away. Wouldn't staying in Williams or Grand Canyon make more sense? I'm thinking at least Williams is on the way and by looking at the map, Grand Canyon is closer even if we need to turn around. Anybody??? Thank you! Anna

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli

Re: Havasu Falls

Post by JoelHazelton » May 07 2009 3:08 pm

Ania- You will actually drive quite close to Peach Springs on the way to Havasupai. You turn onto the 66 at Seligman, then take the 66 to tribal road 18 which is right before you hit Peach Springs. My recommendation, however, would be to just camp at the trailhead.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » May 07 2009 3:18 pm

I don't recommend either one. I would say motel at Grand Canyon Caverns, which is very close to the turnoff for the Supai road, or camp at their campground. The restaurant is not bad, either. We always eat there after the trip and get the salad bar or veggie burger, pie, etc.

They have a website.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

rally_toad
Quickapelli
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Post by rally_toad » May 07 2009 4:28 pm

When I went a few years ago, we slept in the Hualapai Hill Parking lot the night before.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » May 07 2009 6:01 pm

We camped out on Hualapai Hilltop, too, not far from where they line up the mules. It's not the best campsite ever, but it has a great view.

JimmyLyding
Sasquatchopelli
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » May 07 2009 8:05 pm

I've always stayed at Grand Canyon Caverns. They have a life-size representation of a giant sloth. Hualapai Hilltop obviously has the advantage of being *much* closer to the trailhead, but I've heard that security is a concern there.

writelots
Wendipelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » May 08 2009 10:06 am

I love staying in Seligman. Not as close as Grand Canyon Caverns - but there are some great kitchy old motels in the area, and Lilo's Westside Cafe has some of the best pre- and post- hike food anywhere. But, then, I'm driving from Tucson, so just the trip to Seligman is 5 hours easy - just about when I'm ready to stop for a while! It's over an hour to the TH from there. I stayed in Peach Springs once, found the rooms very over priced and lacking in any flavor, and the restauraunt was only eh.
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

Ania
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Ania » May 08 2009 12:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. I think they overcharge for the rooms also at the Hualapai Lodge ($110) per night. I think maybe because they don't have any competition. So there is a possibility of camping at the Hualapai Hilltop? However, it would be nice to take a shower before the hike and have nice breakfast :)

Ania
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Ania » May 08 2009 1:06 pm

Also, I was wondering how long does it "really" take to get down to the falls and the return back up? I understand everyone hikes at a different pace but I'm trying to figure out an average...

big_load
You talkin' to me peli

Post by big_load » May 08 2009 1:12 pm

We got to the falls in about three hours at a relaxed pace. The hardest part was fine, deep sand near town, but there may be less of that after the flood. (Around here they call that sugar sand). It took a little over 4 hours to get out, and it was snowing heavily.

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » May 08 2009 3:21 pm

My times were very close to big load's. However my friends took their sweet time and didn't arrive in camp until 45-60 minutes after I had secured a campsite.

I'd put most people in decent shape at 3-4 hours down 4-6 out, unless you take a chopper or horse.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » May 08 2009 3:22 pm

Oh, "camping" on the hilltop usually indicates sleeping on the parking lot, possibly between other cars. There may be a prime spot right next to the port-a-potties though ;)
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Ania
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Ania » May 08 2009 3:58 pm

:lol: ok. I'll pass on camping by the port-a-potties. I think I'll stay at a hotel "nearby".

big_load
You talkin' to me peli

Post by big_load » May 08 2009 6:46 pm

nonot wrote:Oh, "camping" on the hilltop usually indicates sleeping on the parking lot,
We were out on the ledge. It was the kind of spot where you have to think twice before stepping out of the tent.

TwoWeims
Weimkopelli
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by TwoWeims » May 08 2009 8:33 pm

writelots wrote:Lilo's Westside Cafe has some of the best pre- and post- hike food anywhere
I second the part about Lilo's. Don't miss that. :bigth:
I've never stayed in the area. Being form Prescott, it is not that far of a drive.

Ania
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Ania » May 09 2009 5:57 pm

Awesome! Great info! Thanks. :)

base871
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » May 11 2009 4:54 pm

There is the aztec inn in Seligman, only has 8 rooms but its only 38 bucks a night. Nice folks who own it too.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Post by WilliamnWendi » Feb 25 2012 8:48 am

I am curious about "Claiming a spot". Everyone talks about "Leaving from the top early" or "Hiking fast" in order to claim the good spots. How does the actual "Claiming" work. How do you know if (assuming you get there early) which spots, if occupied, are opening up? Do they have a way of letting you know which sites are opening up. I've read that the spots closest to the falls are the primo, so I'll be shooting for those but I am not sure what protocol is.
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Feb 25 2012 9:29 am

it's a free-for-all

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Post by WilliamnWendi » Feb 25 2012 9:34 am

Sweet!
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

Return to “Havasu”