Havasu Canyon Trail

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
base871
City, State: Tempe

drinking water at campground

Post by base871 » Jul 04 2009 2:28 pm

Im going to Havasupai for the first time next week for 5 days and was wondering if the water at fern spring needs to be treated or if it can be drunk right out of the pipe. I have heard mixed replies on this, so any feedback would be great. Im just really trying to shed the 13oz filter if I can, and i dont really like chem treatments.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

aa7jc
City, State: Sierra Vista, AZ

Re: drinking water at campground

Post by aa7jc » Jul 04 2009 3:18 pm

Sorry I dont know about the water at Havasupai..
I just feel compelled to spread the word that Aquamira Water Treatment Drops (and tablets) are essentially the same technology as what makes tap water safe to drink. It is not like iodine or chlorine. It does not add any taste or dangerous poison to the water.
I dont think that filters even filter things like viruses.
http://aquamira.com/preparedness/aquami ... technology

base871

Post by base871 » Jul 04 2009 3:31 pm

Your right about filters, they dont kill viruses. I use on occasion sweetwater purifing solution kill viruses , but only if im taking water from a not-so-great source. Again tho its rare that I add chemicals to water, unless my life depends on it!
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Jul 04 2009 6:18 pm

Meh, it's a 3-4 hours backpack so I'd take a filter. I'd recommend you find some method of water treatment, why risk it?
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 05 2009 5:25 am

I would agree, especially since the flood. I have drunk directly from the spring (the pipe that comes out of the ground and not out of the springhouse) without mishap every time I've been there, but I haven't been there since the flood.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Jul 05 2009 10:20 am

If you're opposed to chem treatment (taste presumably?) and don't like the extra 13oz of a filter, look into a steripen. No taste, kills -well, neutralizes at least- everything (if used correctly and weighs in at less than 5 ounces (adventurer model).

As for the question, I'm going to echo the above two responses; if you have to ask it's best to treat (or at least have the option available).
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

base871

Post by base871 » Jul 05 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm gonna break down and take it. Now, what else can i do without? hmmmmmmmm...... :wrt:

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 06 2009 4:58 am

Don't forget your Tevas! (or other water sandals!) They definitely need to stay ON your list!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

base871

Post by base871 » Jul 06 2009 3:12 pm

Yup! there on the list! So is my mask and snorkel. Thats really the only "useless" item im taking. Oh that and the camera.

Return to “Havasu”