Havasu Canyon Trail

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
base871
City, State: Tempe

Another flash flood at Havasupai

Post by base871 » Aug 01 2010 7:12 pm

There was another flash flood at Havasupai yesterday, similar to the one 2 weeks ago. I got to see it come first hand at around 8am. Rangers came around waking everyone up, telling us to get to high ground, and that we had 20-30 min before it would hit. It came exactly 20 min later as we were carrying our tent over a dry wash. I looked down at my feet and they were wet. Looked up the canyon and could see the bridge coming apart. The high water hit just as I crossed and looked back. Took about 6 hours for it to get back to "normal" level, but it carved out yet another creek bed on the west side of the campground.

I saw before the flood what the flood 2 weeks ago did. Needless to say, there are no more pools there at all. Yesterdays flood did even more damage, and I heard another was supposed to hit today. If your gonna go down this year, rule out the swimming and take pictures. Its gonna be a few years before its back to normal. Ill post the pics now in my triplog, and Ive got some really cool video of the picnic table floating away!

All in all, it was fun!
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Another flash flood at Havasupai

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 01 2010 7:15 pm

Wow! Just had an email from a friend who's a volunteer ranger at Lee's Ferry, said Badger and Soap flashed today, and he says watch the water gauge page, he thinks it'll go to 25,000 at Phantom by tomorrow.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Aug 01 2010 8:01 pm

base871 wrote:Its gonna be a few years before its back to normal.
naw, they'll build more fake crests
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Vaporman
City, State: SLC, Utah

Post by Vaporman » Aug 02 2010 5:35 pm

That's crazy! Sounds like the group I went with back on July 16-18th were quite lucky in visiting it just before the floods started hitting. :o
Yea, canyoneering is an extreme sport... EXTREMELY dramatic!!! =p

base871

Post by base871 » Aug 02 2010 7:21 pm

Here is some video I shot.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qvvDSJIk8M
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 03 2010 3:56 am

That video really shows more what it felt like to be there. I would guess, since you had only about 20 minutes, that some people in the campground lost some of their gear. Some people bring way too much gear there since they hire the horses to carry it.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

base871

Post by base871 » Aug 03 2010 3:49 pm

I dont think anyone lost anything. There was only about 25 or 30 people camping there last weekend.

Return to “Havasu”