Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Supai Horse Abuse to be Prosecuted

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 28 2016 9:51 am

The horse abuse we have all seen at Supai/Havasu Falls/Havasupai (but why didn't we report?? I'm as guilty as anyone else) has finally reached the ears of authorities. Four horses in horrible condition were removed from the reservation, and one man brought into Federal Court on felony animal abuse charges.

The horses are being cared for by the Coconino Humane Association. They'd like some donations which will go directly to the care of the horses, most of which have huge sores and are 200 or more pounds underweight. Their hooves have already been treated by a farrier. There's more info on this page, plus news articles and a TV news link. You'll see a number of familiar names on the donor list.

https://www.gofundme.com/2rnd442s

The tribe makes millions of dollars down there every year with their overpriced camping fees, etc., but this kind of abuse has been going on for decades. I saw it the first time I went there in 1999, but others have told me they saw it decades before that.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Supai Horse Abuse to be Prosecuted

Post by outdoor_lover » Apr 28 2016 10:46 am

Yeah, the Photos finally hit FB and started creating quite a Stir, so it could no longer be ignored.... A lot of the Reason for the Neglect has to do with the Culture itself unfortunately. Animals are merely viewed as Tools or Equipment, there to serve a Purpose and nothing else....They treat Dogs in a similar Fashion, they just don't subject them to carrying loads like they do the Horses. Every time I've seen Horses for "Rent" to Ride on the Reservation, I pass them by because the Horses generally look terrible....If people would quit paying until the Animal Welfare improved, it might make a difference....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JasonCleghorn » Apr 28 2016 11:05 am

This is going to sound bad and if we have any Native Americans on here, I'm NOT generalizing, but I would have expected tribal people to take better care of animals given their heritage/culture, etc.. Maybe I'm just naive, but despite how much my better half wants to go to Supai, and ordinarily I'd be inclined to do anything to get her outside, I'm not going until those animals' conditions have improved.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 28 2016 12:06 pm

Their heritage with horses is this: they got them from the Spanish and later from the whites. They used them for food and for riding and as beasts of burden. Sort of like saying fry bread is part of their heritage. It's not. It's what they learned to make when they were starving and the government gave them lard and flour.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

ddgrunning
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ddgrunning » Apr 28 2016 12:10 pm

Saw the photos on FB. :cry: I never paid that much attention to the horses/mules on my trips down there, other than the "road apples" that were ubiquitous in the campground. As for the "free-range" dogs, I have awoken in the middle of the night to one snuggling up to the door of my tent ....

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 28 2016 12:11 pm

I grew up doing some horse back riding and was around horses a lot as a kid. I noticed right away about their feet and how skinny they are. One time I went there with my son, about 10 years ago. He had his own horse. He was pretty disgusted and disillusioned when he saw those horses.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Apr 28 2016 2:19 pm

Rez Dogs. If you expect reverence for animals on the rez, virtually any rez, look at the dogs. You'll see reality.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

friendofThundergod
ˈpōət kokopelli
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Apr 28 2016 2:40 pm

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
-Ghandi

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Apr 29 2016 8:29 am

On my trip down a couple years ago, we followed a blood trail much of the way from an unfortunate horse in front of us. Really glad there is finally some action being taken. I would still go there, but would never use the horses ... will probably helicopter out next time though, just for the experience and to save 8 miles of hot, boring uphill hiking.
Where is the "dislike" button?

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Apr 29 2016 11:02 am

destroying a culture and forcing them into poverty-- abuse sure does tend to trickle down.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Apr 29 2016 11:19 am

I think the beauty of the Havasupai is they are probably more than any other Native group the least "destroyed" because of their remoteness.They have certainly not been forced into poverty and there was a time not too long ago and I'm not sure if remains still to this day, as being the highest college educated per capita Native group in North America.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Apr 29 2016 11:31 am

Alston_Neal wrote:I'm not sure if remains still to this day, as being the highest college educated per capita Native group in North America.
based on quick and easy research: 7.5% of the Havasupai population has a bachelor's or higher. The average of all native groups is 9%. So no, you're wrong. And as for native peoples not being destroyed and forced into poverty? I just can't even fathom someone believing that but I'm not going to argue because obviously, its only gonna be a waste of time.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Apr 29 2016 11:37 am

Yep you're right arguing with you would be a waste of time. Thanks for pointing that out. Oh and I apologize for being wrong.
Ciao
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Apr 29 2016 12:18 pm

In other news ... look! Pretty horses!

Ja vi elsker dette landet

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Apr 29 2016 2:50 pm

If interested in the real story of the Havasupai, read the book "I am the Grand Canyon" ... it's fascinating.
Where is the "dislike" button?

Thoreau
Gadget Kokopelli

Post by Thoreau » Apr 29 2016 6:49 pm

Just another reason I will never go there. I'm hardly a hippie PETA type, but animal abuse is easily one of the top three ways to evoke my otherwise nonexistent violent side.

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli

Post by JasonCleghorn » Apr 30 2016 7:24 am

Thoreau wrote:Just another reason I will never go there. I'm hardly a hippie PETA type, but animal abuse is easily one of the top three ways to evoke my otherwise nonexistent violent side.
Same here...
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Apr 30 2016 7:37 am

Whenever someone tells me about hiking to Havasupai they gush about the natural beauty then say "but.. the dogs, outhouses, filth, etc." So it has never risen to be a priority, and if that wasn't enough, this will be.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

flagscott
Seed Sowin' Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by flagscott » Apr 30 2016 8:48 am

Sredfield wrote:Whenever someone tells me about hiking to Havasupai they gush about the natural beauty then say "but.. the dogs, outhouses, filth, etc." So it has never risen to be a priority, and if that wasn't enough, this will be.
+1. It's off my wish list, too (and not just because of the horses). If you want to get depressed about the state of things, read Abbey's description of the area from Desert Solitaire (he called it "Eden"). Then read some modern-day trip logs with tales of dogs, overcrowding, theft, etc. Bleh.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 30 2016 9:13 am

I went in September. They do have new restrooms, composting, which were pretty amazing considering what I had seen on 4 previous trips--no odor, etc. I didn't see many dogs this trip. I did see some pretty sad-looking horses. They have an ATV crew which goes around cleaning the bathrooms and policing/rangering. I thought there were at least some positive changes since I had been there 9 years previously.

All that being said, there is no excuse for animal abuse. And even if the horses were just owned by one guy, and he was charged and sent to court, the abuse of his horses was reported by tourists, not by other tribal members, who surely knew of it.

Return to “Havasu”