Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Description  • Rim to Rim, AZ
Linked Areas none
Nan
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Time of Year for Rim to Rim

Post by Nan » Aug 06 2006 10:53 am

I want to do my first Rim-to-Rim this spring, but the Xanterra website says that facilities on the North Rim don't open until mid-May, by which time it's stinkin' hot at the River. What's up with that? Surely any threat of snow is long gone by April, even at the Rim?

Davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli
City, State: Northern Italy

Post by Davis2001r6 » Aug 06 2006 6:02 pm

It can still snow in April & May up there.

1st and 2nd weekend of October I think are the most popular weekend for a Rim-Rim.

I was up there last weekend in March 2 years ago, ground on the North Rim was completely covered.

Canyonram
Seed Gatherin' Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Canyonram » Aug 06 2006 8:05 pm

(1) Late spring and late summer best times to schedule a rim-to-rim. You do need to get your request for dates in ASOP because everyone understands the heat issue and will avoid the summer months. On the other hand, if you can deal with the heat you can sometimes get your hiking schedule during the dog days of late June - early September.

(2) Unless you are going to partner you will need to arrange transportation back to your vehicle. I believe there is only one option, TransCanyon shuttle.

(3) I'm doing a R-T-R in mid-September. Will drive to north rim day before and dayhike along rim. Camp on north rim. Catch shuttle next day to south rim. Site see half day and stay in motel that night. Hike to Phantom (probably via South Kaibab), next day up to Cottonwood, next day hike out to my truck on the North Kaibab trail head. Shower, steak, a few beers.

I prefer to spend as much time in the Canyon as I can and hike as slowly as I can to relish the experience. The trick to hiking the Canyon is to not be worried about getting out.

Davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli

Post by Davis2001r6 » Aug 06 2006 8:30 pm

My post was a bit more orriented towards a day hike.

If your backpacking it you can go year round. For a backpack you could just do a Rim-Rim-Rim and camp a few spots along the way. On the North Side at Cottonwood, then it would be a 14 mile dayhike to the Rim and Back from there.

I've done it as day-hike the last two years. Just go with a group and start at both ends and swap keys in the middle. It had worked great for us.

I'll be doing it on Sep 30th this year. Will be in Hawaii first two weekend of October otherwise I would have done it then.

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Aug 06 2006 8:35 pm

davis2001r6 wrote:My post was a bit more orriented towards a day hike.

If your backpacking it you can go year round. For a backpack you could just do a Rim-Rim-Rim and camp a few spots along the way. On the North Side at Cottonwood, then it would be a 14 mile dayhike to the Rim and Back from there.
I think that I heard somewhere that they turn off the water on the North Rim and the Kaibab - North trail. So no water at Cottonwood or at the Rim. Means you would need to dry camp. I'm not 100% certain so please don't quote me on this. But confirm it before you attempt it. Surprises are no fun.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Nan
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Nan » Aug 06 2006 8:59 pm

My back's not up to carrying a tent and sleeping bag, so I'm limited to months when the North Rim lodge is open. Oh well, however hot it gets in the Canyon at least it's cooler than PHX!

Davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli

Post by Davis2001r6 » Aug 07 2006 5:58 am

al1inaz wrote:So no water at Cottonwood or at the Rim. Means you would need to dry camp.
Yes the piped water is turned off, but your right next to the creek so it's easy place to filter.

Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Aug 07 2006 7:41 am

In response to Nan's reply: What ever the temp in PHX is what the temp is at the bottom. So if it is 106 today that is what the bottom is going to get to. My husband does it twice a year for the past 10 years. Yes even year before last they delayed the opening of the north rim from the 15th until the 19th of May the snow was still 5 feet deep by the entrance gate. The May one can be hot. (Last year even with the snow he opted not to go back across since it was 115 in the bottom). The Oct is the best as well as the fall colors on the north rim are in full swing at that time. You have to have reservations at least 6 months to even a year at the North Lodge and don't forget to do your dinner reservations before you get up there. Or there is only a little Cafe with pizza to eat if you don't have the reservations.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Nan
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Nan » Aug 07 2006 10:30 am

Welp, Phantom Ranch is booked solid through the end of June next year, so October it is. Thanks everyone for the advice.

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Time of Year for Rim to Rim

Post by hikeaz » Aug 07 2006 12:11 pm

Nan wrote:I want to do my first Rim-to-Rim this spring, but the Xanterra website says that facilities on the North Rim don't open until mid-May, by which time it's stinkin' hot at the River. What's up with that? Surely any threat of snow is long gone by April, even at the Rim?

My first visit to the North Rim was over Memorial Day W/E in '83(?).
I was tent camping & awoke to 12" of new snow. Rare? Yes; but it happens.

More seriously, I believe that the NPS/Xanterra err on the side of caution, (on the close date as well) taking into consideration that many clients come from all over the world & would be greatly disappointed that they could not GET to the Lodge even when they have a reservation.
kurt

Return to “Rim to Rim”