Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Description  • Rim to Rim, AZ
Linked Areas none
Hoshway
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Running rim to rim

Post by Hoshway » Jun 23 2007 10:26 pm

Does anyone have experience with running north rim to south rim? If so, I'd like to pick your brain about a few things...I'm planning on running it for time in October if all goes well. Thanks!

davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli
City, State: Northern Italy

Re: Running rim to rim

Post by davis2001r6 » Jun 24 2007 7:27 am

I wouldn't exactly call myself a runner, but I have done about 5 Rim-Rim crossings, 1 of those I did run down the North Side and hike up the South. October is the time of year to do it. What type of questions do you have?

Hoshway
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Hoshway » Jun 24 2007 9:43 am

Well, I guess I'd like to know the main things one NEEDS to bring along while still staying as light as possible. I would like to cross in under 5 hours. Also, it may sound like a weird question, but do you have any pointers on running downhill relatively efficiently? I feel like I'm really bad at it, I'm either braking too much and using a ton of energy, or out of control fast haha.

davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli
City, State: Northern Italy

Post by davis2001r6 » Jun 24 2007 6:18 pm

Like I said I'm not a runner, but in fair shape (sometimes). Last year I did the crossing in like 7:15 or something. My fastest by a good hour. I went North to South that time as well, running (more like jogging) all the downhills along the way and hiking any uphills. I even used trekking poles while running downhill.

I would imagine if your going for 5 hours then your a true runner. The only think I would add that you would want to bring is more water and more food and electrolytes than you would think you need. My friend passed out. had some convulsions, throwing up last year from hyponutremia (sp), he's ran a few marathons, the crown king scramble, a 50k and a 50 miler and still underestimated the salts/electrolytes he would need. We was on pace for a 5 hour trip I believe. Hit the wall hard about 2 miles from the top.

As long as you plan it for when the North Rim still has water running, that shouldn't be a problem, plenty of water along the way. I think the longest stretch w/o would be 7 miles.

Hoshway
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Hoshway » Jun 24 2007 9:40 pm

Cool, thanks for the info. I have run two full marathons in 2:45 and 2:38, but it wasn't hot and didn't have very much elevation gain or loss(Air Force Marathon '05 and '06). My training was as flat as you can get and I really wasn't exposed to hilly running until I moved to Flagstaff this past October where it's near impossible to avoid hills(it takes around 4min to climb the hill into my neighborhood haha). I do plan on going while the water is still on on the North side and I have all of the mileages to each water stop, and based on your friend's experience, I'll make sure I have plenty of electrolytes/salty stuff. I did my first rim to rim hike in May and we intended for it to be a day hike, but a woman in the group ended up severely suffering from hyponatremia and we had to spend the night on the trail(on devil's corkscrew) until daylight when a helicopter could get her out. It was craziness haha, so I'll be sure to avoid the situation she was in that night...Anyway, thanks for the info! Anyone else have any info they'd like to share?

Return to “Rim to Rim”