Linked Description  • Rim to Rim, AZ
Linked Areas none
no avatar
bowdent1
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Rim to Rim difficulty?

Post by bowdent1 » Sep 11 2007 11:00 am

Just looking for some info from those more experienced. I am planning a rim to rim in the next few weeks. North to South and I am trying find out if I am physically ready. I do Squaw Peak 4 times a week and did it 3 times in a row last Saturday, and was tired but with a half hour or so rest probably could have done it again a time or two. Is the rim to rim more difficult than this? Thanks for any input.
"The good things that come to those who wait, might just be the things left by those who got there first."

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Rim to Rim difficulty?

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Sep 11 2007 5:22 pm

bowdent1 wrote: did it 3 times in a row last Saturday, and was tired but with a half hour or so rest probably could have done it again a time or two. Is the rim to rim more difficult than this? Thanks for any input.
Do the math & you be the judge. Piestewa 3 times is about 7.2 miles and 3,600 feet. Rim to Rim is about 21.5 miles and about 5,500 feet climb at the end of the hike. The 21 miles is roughly 7 miles down, 7 miles "relatively flat" and 7 miles up. Piestewa 5 times (12 miles 6,000 feet) puts you in the ballpark since on the Rim to Rim you do have about 7 miles relatively flat from Cottonwood Campground to Pipecreek Beach.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

no avatar
bowdent1
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by bowdent1 » Sep 11 2007 5:37 pm

Thanks for the advice, I just like to feel overprepared for something like this. I've done the Weatherford trail to Humphreys summit in one day 5 or 6 times, but it's all down hill at the end. I could do Piestewa 5 times with a little rest stop for 30 minutes in there somewhere. Thanks again.
"The good things that come to those who wait, might just be the things left by those who got there first."

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Sep 12 2007 9:13 am

bowdent1 wrote:I've done the Weatherford trail to Humphreys summit in one day 5 or 6 times
just imagine doing it backwards, you'll be fine

personally I think it's easier doing the downhill first
that's when you have to concentrate and it's harder on the knees
it's easier to convince yourself to break on uphill returns too

enjoy the urine stench
yuck
I'm curious how bad it is?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Sep 12 2007 10:51 am

I agree PiestaSquaw peak is not going to be much of a challenge, you might try doing some Humphreys or Supes Ridgline type hikes even tho acclimation is not an issue at Grand Canyon, the workout is much the same if you were to do these 2 hikes back to back during one weekend.
Just to note, I went down Grandview, over to the Cave of Domes, back down to Hance Creek, around the Tonto trail circumnavigation of Horseshoe Mesa, down into Cottonwood and back up to the top in about 6 hours. Something like 17 miles with all my exploring and about 7000' gain overall. I was tired, but not considerably so.
:D

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Sep 12 2007 2:36 pm

In my experience, the physical toll exacted by long, continuous stretches of uphill or downhill is much higher than the same amount of gain and loss spread over a number of smaller repeats. This seems especially true of downhill. My local weekend dayhikes are all at least +/- 3000 ft, but alternating between up and down and having some flat spots in between keeps any single muscle group from taking a bad beating. I can really tell the difference on a real 3000 ft climb. Rim to rim is certainly feasible, but I agree with te-wa that a trip of intermediate difficulty should come first.

Davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Sep 15 2007 12:25 am

The main thing I trained for my Rim-Rim-Rim of a few years ago, was hiking in the Phoenix Mountains. Mainly Squaw Peak + the Circumference trail around it. I've never done Squaw Peak 3 times in a day, heck not even twice for that matter. Have done a double humper on camelback a few times though. If your already hiking Squaw Peak 4 times a week i would bet your in good shape. Being able to do it 3 times or 5 times in a day although it is not as far it is certainly steeper IMO than the grand canyon.

I think you'll be fine.

If you can mix in a good 10-15 mile hike though it wouldn't hurt, I don't think it needs to be as steep, but distance is distance.

When you go for the rim-rim: pace yourself, bring plenty of electrolyte type stuff (ie salty foods along with some gatoraid powder), just take it easy, no need to set a record your first time.

-TIM-

no avatar
bowdent1
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by bowdent1 » Sep 16 2007 3:29 pm

Thank you for all of the input, it's nice to have a great resource of hiking experience to ask questions, thank you for this site. I am going for the rim-to-rim. I think hiking the Weatherford trail in one day (about 21-22 miles) counts as good preparation. I've done it one day and then hiked it again via the snowbowl trail the next day, and I'm in about the same shape as when I did that a few years ago. I will be taking plenty of water and food (salty stuff) and I will go with a headlamp in case unexpected problems arise and I need to wait for cooler night temperatures to finish out. I will also be going with a group that I hope will just drag me by the shoelaces if necessary. Thanks again for the advice.

Return to “Rim to Rim”