Linked Guide  • Rim to Rim, AZ
Linked Areas none
Trailmix
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

1st time Rim to Rim...Advice?

Post by Trailmix » Dec 06 2007 3:07 pm

Hi all,

Before we leave Arizona, my wife and I have vowed to do a NRim to Srim GC hike. From what I have read and considering our time constraints, we will opt for a May hike. I have planned to do this hike over 3 days/ 2 nights.

My idea is to do a N. Kaibab to Bright Angel hike...camping in two spots along the way...the question is where? We are accustomed to backpacking / dry camping.

Suggestions...advice would be great. Thanks.

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli
City, State: Canton, OH

Re: 1st time Rim to Rim...Advice?

Post by Hoffmaster » Dec 06 2007 4:23 pm

Camping along these trails is in designated spots only, so you'll need to get a map and check it out. Then you'll have to apply for the permits.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Dec 06 2007 4:26 pm

Trailmix wrote:Before we leave Arizona, my wife and I have vowed to do a NRim to Srim GC hike. From what I have read and considering our time constraints, we will opt for a May hike. I have planned to do this hike over 3 days/ 2 nights.

My idea is to do a N. Kaibab to Bright Angel hike...camping in two spots along the way...the question is where? We are accustomed to backpacking / dry camping.

Suggestions...advice would be great. Thanks.
May permits open for application January 1. Your itinerary -3 days/2 nights is very reasonable. I would suggest a strong first day and getting to Bright Angel Campground for the first night. Then Indian Gardens for the 2nd night. These are established campgrounds with water and waste facilities. No drycamping involved.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Dec 06 2007 5:15 pm

I agree with Al, BTW the North Rim usually opens for services the 2nd weekend in May so no earlier than that I wouldn't think. You only other option for camping along the way is at Cottonwood which is only 7 miles (albeit the hard miles) down North Kaibab. Then you get to choose either an easy 7 miles to Bright Angel or continue for another 4(I think) to Indian Gardens.

My proffered way to go is actually South to North. They just staying at B.A and Cottonwood, either way you should really enjoy the trip.

-TIM-

Trailmix
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Trailmix » Jan 02 2008 3:45 pm

OK...wow...Well a GC trip over the New Year assured us NtoS route camping in Cottonwood and BA CG over Memorial Day weekend. Reserved shuttle. Making reservations for a Nrim room at the lodge tomorrow.

Now...if you had to plan some "practice" hikes...what would you recommend?

Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Jan 02 2008 10:23 pm

Trailmix wrote:OK...wow...Well a GC trip over the New Year assured us NtoS route camping in Cottonwood and BA CG over Memorial Day weekend. Reserved shuttle. Making reservations for a Nrim room at the lodge tomorrow.

Now...if you had to plan some "practice" hikes...what would you recommend?
You will be lucky to get a room at the Nrim lodge especially on that weekend as well as can be in the 110 to 115 degree temps in the bottom. We go twice a year and always reserve our place on the north rim a year in advance. The one we made for Oct was the day we could and got the second to the last cabin. We have been doing it for 10 years now. (My husband does the rim to rim and back to rim twice a year) There was even a year in May where it was going to be 120 in the bottom of the canyon on his return trip and so he opted out not to do it). Then there was a year were the delay of the north rim opening was 5 days due to the snow fall on the north plateau. It was taller than the entry station that year. Just some stuff I have seen in the past 10 years.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Jan 02 2008 11:14 pm

For practice, how about doing the Superstition Ridgeline from LDSP, tag Peralta trailpost, then heading back over the ridgeline, with a backpack?

Or climb up and down Squaw Peak 4 times in a day with a backpack?

I want to do a rim-to-rim, but it isn't in the cards for me this Spring.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

kgmolson
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix

Post by kgmolson » Jan 25 2008 6:55 pm

do you guys think I would still be able to get permits for a May rim to rim hike?

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jan 25 2008 7:04 pm

Following the Permit link listed on the Rim to Rim page states to request for May starting January 1st

seems unlikely considering it's one of the four most popular months, but I really don't have a clue
somebody else likely knows better
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jan 26 2008 12:42 am

kgmolson wrote:do you guys think I would still be able to get permits for a May rim to rim hike?
Doubtful, but you only need permits if you are camping below the Rim. If you are doing a Rim2Rim in a day, you just need Reservations on the other Rim. And if you are doing a R2R2R you don't need any permits. I guess I don't understand your question. What is this about a R2R fixation? Are you talking about the MULE PISS R2R? Allyn Cureton did a Mule Piss R2R2R in about 7.8 hours Most mortals do it in 20 hours. Why are you interested in a Mule Piss R2R? It is one of the least interesting hikes in the Canyon. I know, I did it and I wonder why! A real R2R is down South Bass and up North Bass. Or down Nankoweap and up Tanner like the old horse thiefs did it. You would definitely need permits for these. And if you don't know the BCO folks, you aren't likely to get them.

OK Al, get off your soap box and back on your meds. Some folks like to "challenge themselves" with a Mule Piss R2R..... And I guess if it keeps people off the good trails I should be happy eh?

What is it about a Corridor Trail Rim to Rim that fascinates people? What do you really see? Or are you just jetting through? or conquering the Canyon? or Conquering yourself? Is it about you or about the Canyon?
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Jan 26 2008 8:56 am

Al_HikesAZ wrote:OK Al, get off your soap box and back on your meds. Some folks like to "challenge themselves" with a Mule Piss R2R..... And I guess if it keeps people off the good trails I should be happy eh?
If the above post is you off of your meds, then throw the meds away! That is the best thing anyone has ever said on this site!
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 27 2008 6:38 am

I so agree! After doing South Bass in Oct. There is only one main South Rim I have not yet hiked, plus I have not yet through-hiked the Escalante/Tonto or hiked Royal Arch Route. (And I still haven't done the Boucher.) I have done BA and Kaibab in the middle of winter, just so I could see that area, during its less-crowded time of year. But by then I had already hiked Tanner, South Canyon, Bill Hall, New Hance, Grandview, Hermit, Monument, etc., plus a couple of Tonto Loops.

I still haven't done a Rim to Rim! I have steadfastly avoided it. Maybe someday a friend will set up a key swap and talk me into going along. I am not like that guy I met one time, Maverick, who likes to see the same scenery over and over and over and over and over and over again! The Canyon is 300 miles long! There are at least 15 main rim to river trails, plus a lot of more difficult routes.

Okay, bring on the meds, pass the toke, whatever! ;-)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Rim to Rim”