Linked Areas none
Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Backwards

Post by Dschur » Oct 16 2008 12:31 pm

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Man walks rim to rim in one day backwards

Many are proud of the fact that they have hiked the Grand Canyon rim to rim in one day. But for Bill Kathan, self-proclaimed "Exercise Champion of the World, the adventure would be different - he would hike the Canyon rim to rim in one day - backwards.

In late August, Bill Kathan traveled to the Grand Canyon to plan his next record-breaking adventure. At that time, he shared his plans with the News, promising to return soon with a story of his adventure and photos.

Kathan's backward hike began from the Canyon's North Rim on Sept. 24. At 5:53 a.m. he left via the North Kaibab Trailhead. He reached the Colorado River and Phantom Ranch at noon, resting for 40 minutes. He arrived at Indian Gardens at 4 p.m., where he rested for 30 minutes. Kathan emerged from the Canyon at the Bright Angel Trailhead at 9:30 p.m.

When he was finished 15 hours and 23 minutes later, he had hiked 24 miles backwards. He endured a 6,000 feet elevation change, accompanied by Benjamin Kastelic - his cameraman and water boy for the adventure.

"Out of all my records, this was by far the hardest of them all," Kathan said. "This is truly the unforgiving Grand Canyon."

Kathan carried a 22 pound bag containing food, water and extra supplies for the first 12.2 miles of the trek. When he started, he was hiking at a rate of four miles per hour and ended going less than one mile per hour. He crossed four creeks, where he had to remove his shoes and cross barefoot.

The trip was not entirely pleasant. Kathan said he tripped once and fell over a trail log. Having to walk with his head turned made breathing difficult, and he says that chlorine in well water made him ill. At times, Kathan said that he experienced dry heaves, vomiting, stomach pains and dizziness.

"The Grand Canyon is quick to temp you down into it, because of it's wonders and beauty, but going for a world record with a 22 pound bag becomes extremely dangerous," said Kathan, who is 56-years-old.

Last year, he logged 3,320 miles in the reverse position, from Hartford, Conn., to Newport, Ore., earning attention from Ripley's Believe it or Not! What garnered less notice is that he actually made two cross country trips in one, parking his van, walking forward three miles, walking backwards to his van and driving ahead for the next three-mile section.

Since 1998, when he saw someone setting a jumping jack record on TV, he's set out to break as many records as he can. He can knock out more than 1,400 jumping jacks in 15 minutes and has done more than 46,000 in a 24-hour period. He's also completed 24,360 leg lifts in six hours and 1,084 abdominal crunches in 15 minutes.

Kathan does most of his training in the Prescott area, where his brother works as a police officer at the VA Hospital and coming up to Grand Canyon when he can.

"I train every day," he said. "Some of the training is just to keep my head turned around."

Kathan said his most recent adventure will be another chapter for the book he plans to write when he "retires" from record-chasing: "Mr. Bill's Book of World Records and Life's True Stories."
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Sun_Ray
Javakaipelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Backwards

Post by Sun_Ray » Oct 16 2008 1:22 pm

I just wish I'd not read this story as his time was about the same as mine.... walking forward!
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Oct 16 2008 2:40 pm

I've got to be honest... I think it's stupid. Maybe if I didn't think it was so dumb I'd be impressed. Kinda funny to read about though.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

azdesertfather
Peacopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Oct 16 2008 3:31 pm

I have to agree. The 100-mile deal from Humphreys Peak to the bottom of the canyon in a day was far more impressive! At least that's my 2 cents... ;)
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Oct 16 2008 3:42 pm

Dave, if you did the hike we wouldnt know if you were coming or going!
I hear OSHA was going to investigate a fine for not installing a back-up alarm on his waistpack. :sl:
he needs one of the tiny helmet-mounted mirrors like the road bikers have.
:D

Return to “Rim to Rim”