Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Description  • Rim to Rim, AZ
Linked Areas none
greg
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: mesa, az

Rim to Rim to rim

Post by greg » Jan 29 2010 9:11 pm

I am wanting to do a South Rim to North Rim back to South Rim during the first weekend in October. I wanted to go South Kaibab to North Kaibab and back to the campgrounds around phantom ranch; then camp at the bottom and hike back out the next day. Any advice from veteran grand canyon hikers? I hike Camelback over and back a lot and will be doing a triathlon the weekend before, so I don't believe that endurance will be an issue. How long does a hike like this take and what sorts of permits and overnight parking issues will I need to deal with to do the hike?! Thanks!

dysfunction
Tutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Rim to Rim to rim

Post by dysfunction » Jan 29 2010 11:27 pm

You'll need a permit for a campground, on that one I'd probably do Indian Garden or BCG.. but it is nice to wander into Phantom Ranch for a beer. Best advice, leave early on our way up bright angel last year we were in the shade till the last 1/4 mile or so.. which rocked. If water's still running you can get away with an extremely minimal load on the way up bright angel (I carried a 20oz gatorade bottle and left the 3l bladder empty in my pack), there is no water from the river on going up South Kaibab. Since I haven't done N Kaibab beyond the Clear Creek turn off I can't comment on that trail with any first hand knowledge at all though. I want to say we were down to the river within 3 hours at a reasonable pace with some goofing off.
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

DarthStiller
Lombardi Caretaker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by DarthStiller » Jan 30 2010 12:00 am

Wally did that same hike the same weekend last year. here's his triplog. You can contact him for further info. FYI.

http://www.hikearizona.com/x.php?I=4&UI ... &tag=46420

wallyfrack
Superpelli
City, State: AZ

Post by wallyfrack » Jan 30 2010 12:04 am

The first weekend in October is good. The trip across is normally 8 to 10 hours each way. Camping at Bright Angel Campground would be a good choice. You need a pass to get into the park and a permit for the campground. There should be water at Phantom Ranch, Cottonwood Campground, Roaring Spring Pumphouse, Supai Tunnel and possibly North Kaibab trailhead. We hiked this 10/3/09 and the water fountain at the North Rim was frozen but all the others were working. If you exit via Bright Angel there is water at Indian Garden, 3 mile house and 1.5 mile house on the way out. No water on South Kaibab. There is also Bright Angel Creek on the North side if the fountains are turned off as an alternative. The full moon is good if you're hiking any of it at night and have blister block, comfortable shoes and plenty of snacks. Foot problems have stopped others who were in good shape but not prepared for blister prevention.
Last edited by wallyfrack on Jan 30 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 30 2010 4:04 am

Permit: Put in for your Oct. permit for Bright Angel Campground on June 1, no earlier, no later, and keep your fingers crossed. To avoid wasting your time, put in for several campsite options and several Oct. date options. Otherwise, we are all spinning our wheels cuz you ain't gonna get the permit.

Parking: Call the BCO to verify latest South Kaibab parking. Last time I did SK to BA, I parked at BCO parking lot, caught the shuttle to the SK trailhead. That way my car was where I wanted it to be when I was done, since I planned to hike out the BA.

Phantom: We camped at BA campground, and the Phantom people had extra meals on hand, would have sold us a couple. Too expensive for me, but if you have some cash on you, you may luck out. They close the cantina at dinnertime--only people eating there can stay inside, but you can go back in there after 8:30, I think. Once you have your permit, you can also call and try to reserve a meal if you want one.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Jan 30 2010 7:50 am

A friend just invited me to do a r2r2r with her about that same time... I think she's planning on staying at the lodge on the north rim... I'll likely do the hike as a longer one day outing...

http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/featu ... im-t.shtml

from the Ultra website...

It should be fun!
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jan 30 2010 9:59 am

Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli

Post by imike » Jan 30 2010 10:26 am

thanks... now, just got to figure out what the weather will be that weekend!
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

dysfunction
Tutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by dysfunction » Jan 30 2010 11:38 am

In response to imike:
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?azphan

Not as nice and colorful as the weather popup on haz for Phantom Ranch, but i couldn't figure out how to link that

It'll say that the average high in Oct is about 85º, however it was about 110º when we were there mid October last year, so it's gonna be hard to forecast it out long term. I just kept checking the NOAA forecast for a couple weeks before the trip and packed for that.
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli

Post by imike » Jan 30 2010 12:22 pm

dysfunction wrote:In response to imike:
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?azphan

Not as nice and colorful as the weather popup on haz for Phantom Ranch, but i couldn't figure out how to link that

It'll say that the average high in Oct is about 85º, however it was about 110º when we were there mid October last year, so it's gonna be hard to forecast it out long term. I just kept checking the NOAA forecast for a couple weeks before the trip and packed for that.
110! Hopefully, we'll catch the days that make for the nice average 87... perhaps a high of 67? Oh, well, guess it will be good training for something...

greg
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: mesa, az

Post by greg » Mar 02 2010 12:21 pm

thanks for the feedback and input everyone! i'm doing a triathlon in tempe the week before, so hopefully between hiking all summer and training for that i'll be in the best shape of my life heading into the canyon!!

Return to “Rim to Rim”