Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
KwaiChang
GC Bound
City, State: Rochester, NY

General "Grand Canyon" Questions

Post by KwaiChang » Jul 12 2010 10:53 am

Without searching this entire site for answers I come to you, my fellow bloggers with my questions.

On May 14th I will begin my GC trek - I have only visited the South side twice - never been below the rim. I am of above average skill set in hiking but have never done anything quite like the GC and I have read extensively about the dangers and warnings. Now I want to know the truth. My intended hikes will be as follows;

Day 1 - Day hike to dripping springs - a warm up hike so to speak
Day 2 - SK to PR - plan to leave about 6am - will take my time and take pixs - WHAT TO DO WHEN @ PR???
Day 3 - NK to North Rim
Day 4 - Day Hike to Roaring Springs
Day 5 - Still on North Rim (ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A DAY HIKE?)
Day 6 - EVERYONE WILL THINK I AM NUTS HERE - Leave NR @ 6am Hike NK to PR, then PR up BA to South Rim.
Day 7 - Some easy Sedona hikes
Day 8 - Wilson mtn in Sedona.

OK - Fire away - am I nuts? How much water do I really need? My plan is to have a 100 ounce hydration pack along with 2 16oz bottles of sports drink.....is that too much? I have the food thing covered - my biggest question is clothes. Since I am staying at the North lodge there what is the dress expectation for Dinner?

Thanks for all those who reply!!!!
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....

autumnstars
Viva Vegapelli
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Re: General Canyon Questions

Post by autumnstars » May 04 2012 5:17 pm

I found that REI (at least mine) is more than happy to fax the permit request for you.
This may be true of other outdoor gear stores as well.

To make it much more likely to get the permit you want, put lots of alternate date choices.
I always write that I will start the hike any day from the 1st to the 31st of the month.
I've yet to not get a permit I applied for. Maybe not the exact dates I hoped for, but it always seems to work out.
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

PatrickL
Semi Annual Kokopelli
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Re: General "Grand Canyon" Questions

Post by PatrickL » May 04 2012 6:02 pm

The 15th-16th work out best with the shuttle leaving the north rim at 1:30pm. I figured I would just work backwards for alternate dates.

This would be my first trip to the canyon, so I'm shooting for the corridor trails. I'll take a look at some of the others, though.

writelots
Wendipelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » May 06 2012 8:42 am

I think it's best to stick close to the corridor for your first trip unless you're going with someone experienced. Not that other trails aren't great, but you might as well figure out the whole 'canyon' thing before you also have to deal with other issues like rockslides taking out the trail or unexpectedly dry water sources.

The permits can be hard to get, but if you fax in on the day and have some flexibility it's not too bad. Just don't plan on the larger group sites - those are a bear to get!
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

PatrickL
Semi Annual Kokopelli

Post by PatrickL » May 16 2012 2:26 pm

I was checking out the permit form and it looks like I have to choose between Bright Angel and South Kaibab instead of having both as an open option. Decisions, decisions... BA has all of the history, but maybe SK would better my chances?

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

Post by azbackpackr » May 16 2012 4:57 pm

I think you are mistaken. They don't care what trail you hike, only where you spend the night. Bright Angel is also the name of a backpacker campground by Phantom. Could that be causing the confusion? A popular first bp trip is down SK, spend two nights at BA campground, then hike up BA trail, third night at Indian Garden.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

PatrickL
Semi Annual Kokopelli

Post by PatrickL » May 16 2012 5:15 pm

I was referring to the section on the form where you choose a beginning and ending trailhead. Isn't what that's for? :-k

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » May 16 2012 7:30 pm

All they care is where you camp at night, you could lie about the trails, just get the camping spots right.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

KwaiChang
GC Bound

Post by KwaiChang » May 17 2012 4:13 am

Novice hiker chiming in - last year this time I was in the big ditch - windy but nice weather - we hiked down SK - spent 2 nites at Phantom - saw lots and lots of open sites at Bright Angle campground - then hiked out the NK and spent a nite at the North rim. Then took that miserable, evil drive from north rim back to south rim - I would wade thru mule poo to avoid that drive again.......

One thing - be prepared for mule pee and poo - the steeper the trail the more poo.....I will NEVER hike a corridor trail again due to the poo - planning several side canyons and a hike including but not limited to Jumpup, Kanab, Indian Hollow and Kwagnut areas this fall or early next spring. Looking forward to it!!!

Have fun!

autumnstars
Viva Vegapelli
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » May 18 2012 12:30 pm

SK was nice while they were working on it and not allowing the mules. Unfortunately, it's fixed now, and the mules are back.

Anyway, the reason they ask about trailheads is if anything should happen and they have to search for you. Better to know what trails you are planning to take. Certainly, this is more important when you are in lightly-traveled areas.
I won't be too concerned about putting BA vs SK - there are always scads of people on both trails.
Parking is also not a concern for either trailhead. Park in the backcountry lot and either walk to the BA trailhead or take the early-morning shuttle to SK.
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

PatrickL
Semi Annual Kokopelli

Post by PatrickL » Jun 06 2012 5:25 pm

Permit was denied. Looks like I'll have to make it a goal to get in better shape and do a R2R dayhike. :wlift:

KwaiChang
GC Bound

Post by KwaiChang » Jun 07 2012 4:29 am

Yer young Pat - no problem - just take along alot of water, snacks and ibuprofen!! The muscles get sore! Have fun!

Return to “Rim to Rim”