Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
ShihanPaul
City, State: Bronx, New York

Rim to Rim in August

Post by ShihanPaul » Jul 19 2010 10:44 pm

Hello,

My sister and I plan to hike North rim to South rim in mid August 2010. I have spoken to a Grand Canyon ranger about what to expect during this hike.

Has anyone did a rim to rim hike in August? Can you give me some insight on what we will experience? Was it worth it?

I do 2 to 3 hikes a year and I'm in good shape. However I have never hiked the Grand Canyon.

Thank for your help and suggestions.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Rim to Rim in August

Post by joebartels » Jul 19 2010 10:45 pm

What did the ranger say when you proposed that?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Jul 19 2010 10:46 pm

I do 2 to 3 hikes a year and I'm in good shape. However I have never hiked the Grand Canyon.
I would recommend you not attempt a rim 2 rim dayhike.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 19 2010 11:15 pm

nonot wrote:
I would recommend you not attempt a rim 2 rim dayhike.
I agree. Save it for a cooler time of year when you can enjoy it more.

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Jul 20 2010 1:23 am

I hope you're ready for at least 2/3 of your hike to be in very warm temperatures. Like 100+-degrees-warm. Additionally, plan on packing a serious lunch with a lot of snacks and at least 300 ounces of water overall. The Canyon will not only be warm (except for the first 4 miles or so downhill from the North Rim when you start out), but the uphill portion up to the South Rim will be very warm. You'll be in complete sun and headed uphill. You should be able to get water @ Phantom Ranch. It will be humid as well.

Not sure what kind of hikes you typically do, but this one in August is a lot more involved than the elevation/distance indicate. Make sure you coordinate with rangers on both rims, but have a (local) safety contact as well.
For all we know you may be a Navy SEAL, but I highly recommend against trying this in August unless you're very prepared. The "Rim to Rim" triplogs only have 1 trip from August. The rest are by very experienced and strong hikers usually done in late spring or early autumn.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 20 2010 4:18 am

ShihanPaul wrote:I do 2 to 3 hikes a year and I'm in good shape. However I have never hiked the Grand Canyon.
I do 2 to 3 hikes a WEEK and I'm in good shape. (The rest of the days I bike.) I have hiked the Grand Canyon at least 15 times.

But I would not hike it in August. And if I had not hiked it before, I would do it in October or winter, or early spring, and just go down to the river and back. I would go down the South Kaibab to the river and back up Bright Angel. Or even, just down Bright Angel to Plateau Point and back up again.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 20 2010 4:26 am

joe bartels wrote:What did the ranger say when you proposed that?
Ditto.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

ssk44
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ssk44 » Jul 20 2010 6:54 am

ShihanPaul wrote:Can you give me some insight on what we will experience?
:stretch:
ISAIAH 6:2-3 / MATTHEW 11:28-30

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Jul 20 2010 7:44 am

Ditto what ssk44 (and everyone else) says...

In mid-August, that area will be pretty-near nuclear! I urge you to listen to the advice of the folks on this site; they know these areas well and I've learned to trust their experience...

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Jul 20 2010 8:20 am

In New York,
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of,
Theres nothing you can’t do,

New Yorkers are hardcore....I know I'm the son of one ;) . NEways going up Bright Angel in May was hot and there were a couple on R2Rers that looked to be in great shape and they were hurting. Everyone has diferent levels of risk they are willing to take. Just heed the warnings and if you do it be careful. I'm doing it in Oct when the weather isn't as hot...lucky for us in AZ we have that option.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 20 2010 8:36 am

What is this freaking obsession with R2R that seems to have taken hold of the world? The Grand Canyon is NOT a challenge course. It is NOT a race course, stairclimber, outdoor gym, ultramarathon area, etc.

It is an incredibly beautiful, deeply spiritually inspiring place and should be savored, not run over, run across, and pounded down.

Grrrr... ](*,)

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Jul 20 2010 8:54 am

azbackpackr wrote:Grrrr... ](*,)
Liz... You shouldn't keep all those feelings bottled up. How do you really feel?

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 20 2010 9:25 am

Just thought I'd mention it. :D

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Jul 20 2010 1:01 pm

I find the grand canyon best avoided... way too many people. For me, that feature makes the area "less than"... I do think it suitable for challenging day hikes... it has a nice up/down aspect.... that when repeated enough times could make for a satisfying day
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 20 2010 1:58 pm

Where I go in the Canyon I generally see very few people. Last 4-day backpack I did there was totally on good safe trail. We saw no one at all until we met some river runners who stopped at the beach where we had camped to give us beer--a tradition with those folks. Oh, and at the end of the hike, when we returned to the remote trailhead which is reached by a very long dirt road, we briefly saw a guy on a 4 wheeler. Several other backpacking trips I have done in the Canyon, both North and South Rims, have been similar, sometimes seeing no one for a day or two, then maybe a couple backpackers or their camps here and there.

Part of the reason for this is that the permit system actually works.

DarthStiller
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by DarthStiller » Jul 20 2010 1:59 pm

azbackpackr wrote:What is this freaking obsession with R2R that seems to have taken hold of the world?
My personal hiking philosophy/personality/tendency is to take my time and savor the outdoors anywhere I hike. I’m not out there to race anyone (as anyone who has hiked with me can attest to), and I’ve never been very competitive. But I also take a “live and let live” attitude towards those who like to push themselves and do these types of things. I can understand anyone who wants to be able to brag about accomplishing a R2R just as peak baggers do for that sort of thing. For better or worse, the so-called “American spirit” has a large element of exploration and conquest, so this is just a natural extension of that.
azbackpackr wrote:The Grand Canyon is NOT a challenge course
Doesn't that depend on the perspective of the beholder?

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 20 2010 2:09 pm

Yes, yes have been through this whole argument before with plenty of other people. My objective here is to get some of them to perhaps open up their frenzied and hurried urban minds to another level of enjoyment. Everyone is in such a hurry! The "American Way" of competitiveness is not the only way to see things. It has its place, of course, but there are other ways to see things. If a person truly wants an experience, and not just some fancy exercise, I think he or she needs to be made aware of this. If all newbie hikers ever hear about is competitive hiking, faster R2R, etc., if all they are exposed to are other people who just do that sort of thing, how are they going to know about some of the other values if some of us don't try to talk to them about it? Apparently, according to that other thread that is up right now about nature writers, no one is really reading books any more. Who reads John Muir any more, for example? Reading The Mountains of California changed my life when I was about 17.

DarthStiller
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by DarthStiller » Jul 20 2010 2:13 pm

azbackpackr wrote:how are they going to know about some of the other values if some of us don't try to talk to them about it?
You can lead a horse to water....etc. I'm with you in principle, but I never get worked up enough to try to make someone think differently than they're wired to.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 20 2010 2:21 pm

I agree with that horse analogy. But I aim to at least talk about some of these values with people.

This brings something else to mind. I have noticed that quite a few HAZers have an incredibly sensitive eye when it comes to photography. Not only picking an interesting subject, but also in how they frame it and present it. When I see their photos, I can see that they really "see." This is a wonderful thing, and I am glad to be in the company of so many people with this level of visual perception.

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Jul 20 2010 2:44 pm

Its all about the endorphins :y: . I enjoy trail running but I also enjoy hiking. I sometimes hike to take pictures(not lately). I sometimes hike to create a course to run. I sometimes hike to see wildlife or a waterfall or an Arch. I hike a lot just for the exercise. People in general run,hike,bike for all diferent reasons. Some people actually hike to a spot and read a book. Some people hike to find trinkets. Lots hike to relieve stress. Hike Arizona It Rocks(tm Joe Bartels).

And if you hike in the Heat...be carefull.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

Return to “Rim to Rim”