Linked Areas none
no avatar
ShihanPaul
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Bronx, New York

Rim to Rim in August

Post by ShihanPaul » Jul 19 2010 10:44 pm

Hello,

My sister and I plan to hike North rim to South rim in mid August 2010. I have spoken to a Grand Canyon ranger about what to expect during this hike.

Has anyone did a rim to rim hike in August? Can you give me some insight on what we will experience? Was it worth it?

I do 2 to 3 hikes a year and I'm in good shape. However I have never hiked the Grand Canyon.

Thank for your help and suggestions.

JimmyLyding
Sasquatchopelli
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Re: Rim to Rim in August

Post by JimmyLyding » Jul 20 2010 2:52 pm

It is really easy to become fatigued when hiking in the heat. Then it's easy to become disoriented. Then it's easy to make a very bad mistake.
http://www.amazon.com/Over-Edge-Death-G ... ikearizona

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jul 20 2010 4:08 pm

Stiller wrote:I’ve never been very competitive
spoken like a true Steeler fan

@rlrjamy must be a royal arch, you capitalized it :)
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 20 2010 4:47 pm

You mean, a Royal (pain in the) Arch? :D

I do believe I have come up with a new name for that hike! :D I'm probably not the first one to think of it, though!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jul 20 2010 10:09 pm

ShihanPaul wrote: Can you give me some insight on what we will experience?
Something akin to your perception of hell, except with a view.
Don't go in the canyon in August.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 21 2010 5:27 am

I wonder if they are going to look on here again?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Jul 21 2010 7:48 am

azbackpackr wrote:I wonder if they are going to look on here again?
It's not like you said "Welcome to Arizona... Now go Home!!" It was more of a... What the heck are you thinking? That's a dumb idea!!

...but in a polite way... :o

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 21 2010 8:11 am

Well, sheesh, don't all these heat exhaustion deaths make the national news at times? I really do wonder what the ranger told them on the phone.

Speaking of hiking in extreme heat, there are folks (mostly Phoenicians, I believe ;) ) who can tolerate it fairly well. I will be the first to say that I really admire that capability. It certainly would stretch the desert and Canyon hiking year quite a bit. I do realize that part of this capability is due to training for it. But there is also some genetic thing at work there as well, I believe. Some people just have a higher tolerance for heat. I used to hike to Hutch's Pool, Romero Pools, Sabino and Seven Falls in summer with my kids. We would hit the trail by 5 or 6 a.m. so hiking in to the swimming hole was ok. Then swimming all day. But the hike out was brutal for me, even though I spent a lot of time outdoors during summers in Tucson. I would bring extra water bottles and wear cotton. I would fill the water bottles with the creek water and dump them on myself periodically during the hike out in the afternoon. But later on that night I would always come down with a horrific debilitating nauseating killer migraine. (This was before Imitrex was invented.) Ugh. My husband finally asked me why I was doing that to myself! (The first part of it was so much FUN, though!)

Later on we discovered there was a pretty good pool not very far at all up Sabino. Deep enough to jump off a rock. This solved some of the problem since then the hike back out was only a couple of miles. (No, I didn't ride the dang tram, are you kidding? Too expensive with my kids plus their friends.)

no avatar
ShihanPaul
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by ShihanPaul » Jul 21 2010 7:03 pm

Hello All,

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. I must have used the wrong terminology or forgot to mention an important detail. I will be doing this hike in 4 days and 3 nights. Camping at Cottonwood, Bright Angel, and Indian Garden.

I like to savor my outdoor experiences and would probably never attempt to do a hike like this in one day. I do hope this changes some opinions.

After speaking to the Ranger, he also suggested to hike the Grand Canyon in October. But said my 3 night itinerary sounds doable if I am fully aware of the dangers. We then spoke for at least 30 minutes about precautionary measures.

I do have hiking experience. When I was younger I hiked the Himalayas for a month with Innerasia Expeditions. I met the late Lute Jerstad there. Summited Kilimanjaro. Hiked the Tahoe Rim Trail, Colorado Trail, Pacific Crest, Buckskin Gulch, and most of the Adirondack high peaks.

I do local hikes at least once a week, workout 6 days a week. I run the NYC Marathon each year and average at least 15 miles a week.
I'm from the Caribbean so I'm no stranger to the heat.

Again thanks for all your help.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 21 2010 7:25 pm

Well, that is reassuring! It sounds like you are much better prepared than we had believed. Please excuse us, but there are a great many people who do try to hike the Canyon unprepared in many ways. We just don't like to see so many people suffer and become ill, or even die, every year.

Have a great trip!

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 21 2010 7:41 pm

There was that Boston marathoner that died on a rim to rim a few years back, but hers was a one day trek. With a few days in the canyon and the proper safety precautions, it can be done. I would prefer not to myself, but if you have only this time to do it, then go for it.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Sun_Ray
Javakaipelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Sun_Ray » Jul 21 2010 7:59 pm

R2R is the only place a Park Ranger has looked me in the eye and asked and really mean't it...."how are you doing?", "how much water are you carrying?" and are you going up S. Kaibab or Bright Angel? They get tired of rescuing hikers.I didn't think I looked that bad. :D
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 21 2010 8:46 pm

@ShihanPaul The strongest hiker I've ever hiked with was an islander. Hope you enjoy your hike and post a triplog when you return so we can hear how it went.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

fricknaley
Yikesapelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by fricknaley » Jul 21 2010 8:56 pm

joe bartels wrote:@ShihanPaul The strongest hiker I've ever hiked with was an islander.
no, joe, i'm from indiana. i thought i told you that. :)
hi

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 21 2010 9:04 pm

Doh! :wrt:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

JimmyLyding
Sasquatchopelli
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Jul 21 2010 10:34 pm

Looks like our friend from the Bronx has a resume that most of us would be enviable of. Besides what other recommendations you've read here, I recommend using electrolyte-infused drinks. Straight-up water would make your trip miserable. Good luck, and don't forget to let us all know how it turned out (unlike that dude from Texas steelfrog!).

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » Jul 21 2010 10:52 pm

That's reassuring. Start early each day, at sunrise. You only have to hike a few hours a day. Find ways to stay in the shade and in/near the creek during the hottest parts of the day.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

no avatar
ShihanPaul
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by ShihanPaul » Jul 24 2010 7:42 pm

Thanks for the Garmin maps! The ranger I spoke to said I should start hiking at 3am and stop by 9am. Or hike at night.
He also suggested not to bring a sleeping bag. I guess a liner and pad will suffice. This should be interesting.

DarthStiller
Lombardi Caretaker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by DarthStiller » Jul 24 2010 7:57 pm

3am to 9am is a bit extreme. I hiked down to Ribbons Falls and back from the North Rim last August as a dayhike and we started at 5am. You do have to be careful, but I think the Ranger was being a bit overly cautious. There is a water line that follows the trail and there are spots where you can refill. once you're on the bottom, you can always get water from Bright Angel Creek if you have a way to treat it. Have fun and be careful. and post the triplog and pics.

Return to “Rim to Rim”