Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
WoofDoggy
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Carlsbad, CA

Phantom Ranch Eats?

Post by WoofDoggy » Jun 09 2014 1:14 pm

Will be camping at Phantom Ranch June 29th, and planning on bringing dehydrated meals ... can someone who has spent a night at Phantom Ranch recently let me know what food options are available there if you are not staying in the dorms or cabins, and not making a meal reservation.

For example are there any significant dinner options, substantial snacks, or breakfast options for the next day at the general store there? We plan to leave bright and early for the hike out to the South Rim?

We are hiking down N. Kaibab to Cottonwood 1st day, on to Phantom 2nd, and then out to the South on last day ...

Thanks, Woof

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Phantom Ranch Eats?

Post by hikeaz » Jun 09 2014 1:53 pm

Meals are 'family style'.
Supper meals are: Stew (6:30 PM seating) Steak (5PM seating) and Veggie (I believe the 6:30).
Breakfast is also family style (eggs, flapjacks, bacon, etc. ( Same items @ 5AM or 6:30 AM)
All of these are priced quite high.

They have fruit,(apples, etc.) summer sausage, bagels and bars available for individual purchase. I would carry such things as fruit and bars - they are much less pricey at home & weight little (downhill).

The first two lines above are reserved through Xanterra although you can check with the Transportation Desk at BA Lodge a day ahead and sometimes once you are @ Phantom they will allow you to reserve/buy a meal there; check before 4PM @ the Canteen.
kurt

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 09 2014 7:21 pm

You state you are "camping" at Phantom? Or are you actually camping at Bright Angel Campground, just down the trail from Phantom? If you aren't staying in any of the Phantom cabins you can sometimes buy a meal but you have to go in there and ask if they have enough, as Hikeaz says, ask them at the cantina. It is very expensive, also, to buy one of their standard meals. They have a couple of choices for dinner.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

WoofDoggy
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by WoofDoggy » Jun 09 2014 9:00 pm

@azbackpackr
correct ... we are camping at Bright Angel campground. I was thinking of trying to get in on the 5:00 AM breakfast, or maybe picking up a couple of the lunches for the hike out. Do you happen to know what the lunch to go is comprised of?

Thanks, Woof

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 09 2014 9:14 pm

WoofDoggy wrote:@azbackpackr
correct ... we are camping at Bright Angel campground. I was thinking of trying to get in on the 5:00 AM breakfast, or maybe picking up a couple of the lunches for the hike out. Do you happen to know what the lunch to go is comprised of?

Thanks, Woof
I thought maybe it would be on their website but it doesn't seem to be there. Someone on here will probably know, though.

I notice you're from Carlsbad. I just left North County about 3 weeks ago to move back to Arizona. I was living in Valley Center, but spent a lot of time in Oceanside as well. I grew up in the area and have family there.

Have you hiked the Inner Canyon before? It's extremely hot down in there during summer, and the date you mentioned is just about the hottest time of the year. Be sure to cover up and wear sunscreen and a wide-brimmed hat, carry a lot of water and electrolytes and salty snacks, and be sure to DRINK the water! You may drink a gallon between Cottonwood and Phantom. Don't wear tank tops, wear some sort of light colored lightweight shirt.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

John9L
Dorsal Glacier Drifter
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by John9L » Jun 09 2014 9:24 pm

Here is a list of snacks & supplies available at Phantom Ranch. I took this pic a few weeks ago when I was down there.
Attachments
P1020822.JPG

WoofDoggy
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by WoofDoggy » Jun 09 2014 9:27 pm

John9L wrote:Here is a list of snacks & supplies available at Phantom Ranch. I took this pic a few weeks ago when I was down there.
Thanks, I found this list too on Frommers ... The sack lunch ($13) includes a bagel, cream cheese, summer sausage, juice, an apple, peanuts, raisins, chips, and cookies.

WoofDoggy
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by WoofDoggy » Jun 09 2014 9:31 pm

@azbackpackr

yes thank you for the concern ... we realize it will be very very very hot. I grew up in Flagstaff actually and did a lot of canyon hiking with Scouts. Definitely planning on a lot of water, long shirt, hat, electrolytes, early morning starts ...

KwaiChang
GC Bound
City, State: Rochester, NY

Post by KwaiChang » Jun 10 2014 7:41 am

Prices for all options;
Breakfast, per person $21.03
Sack Lunch, per person $13.07
Steak dinner, per person $45.81 :o
Stew dinner, per person $29.84
Veggie dinner, per person $29.84

You should call Xanterra asap if you want breakfast - the sack lunch - it is good - not great - shouldn't be an issue at all.....they crank those babies out.

When I was last there - April 22nd - we consumed a Steak Dinner, Breakfast and sack lunch.....not cheap but good none the less. :)

Like mentioned previously - it is family style eating - so you sit at one of 5 tables and pass all the food around.......quite honestly it was MORE than enough!!

PS - they also sell yummy COLD beer......nothing wrong with that option!!! :y:
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....

Return to “Rim to Rim”