North Rim Hikes

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • South Canyon Route, AZ
Linked Areas none
Crocodile Ryan
City, State: Tempe, Az

South Canyon Info

Post by Crocodile Ryan » Feb 23 2007 1:45 pm

I am thinking about a trip into South Canyon in early march, and i was getting ready to send in the permit application but i do not know the required information for the area,

what is the use area?

any other information is welcome as well

it would help me out a bunch

scorpion scus
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by scorpion scus » Feb 23 2007 2:25 pm

when i was there last year i just put s. canyon on the permit.when you hit the slot shortly after bedrock canyon go up on the ledges on the left. if you bring ropes you can go down the slot to the beach. quite a few obstacles to overcome. the beach is big and beautiful,lots of ruins, vaseys paradise,and a huge redwall cavern down river on the opposite side. don't fall in the drink trying to get to these places. need any more info, lii be glad to help. have fun.

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Feb 23 2007 4:26 pm

I've been there 3 times over the last 9 months and I'll be in the area again this weekend. Any thing specific you need to know? I don't remember the use area off-hand.

http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=655&EXT=MT

Have fun!
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 24 2007 5:14 am

Use area is AC9. I've been there once, did not use ropes, did not go down by way of Bedrock Canyon. Went directly down South Canyon itself. Ropes could be used to lower packs, but we didn't.

As stated, the beach is great, be sure to visit Stanton's Cave (read about it first in Robert B. Stanton's book, Down the Colorado if you can find it anywhere!) Redwall Cavern about 3 or 4 miles downstream as I recall. You can see it across the river, but can't get to it.

Best to plan on spending at least two nights down there so you can enjoy the place. Also, we camped right at the trailhead one night, so we could get an early start in the morning. It's a long drive from anywhere to get to that trailhead.

Hoffmaster

Post by Hoffmaster » Feb 26 2007 8:01 am

azbackpackr wrote:I've been there once, did not use ropes,

Ropes? Who mentioned ropes? :?: That's just extra weight and completely unnecessary...unless you go down the narrows! :twisted:
azbackpackr wrote:did not go down by way of Bedrock Canyon. Went directly down South Canyon itself.
I wrote a trip report for both routes into the canyon. For a backpacking trip, I think directly into South Canyon would be the preferred route. The Bedrock Canyon route has some very steep/borderline rock climb sections!
azbackpackr wrote:Best to plan on spending at least two nights down there so you can enjoy the place. Also, we camped right at the trailhead one night, so we could get an early start in the morning. It's a long drive from anywhere to get to that trailhead.
No doubt. I spent the weekend at Soap Creek and Rider Canyons and once you turn on the dirt roads, it can be slow going (but not 4WD). The camping situation at the South Canyon trailhead is good, but it is frequently very windy there. Bring lots of tent stakes! If possible, I would spend 2 nights at the river, to have a full day to explore. Stanton's Cave is not much to look at, but the history is fascinating! Vasey's Paradise is awesome, and there are many caves in the area. Be sure to walk some of the terraces above the beach and find the indian ruins and petroglyphs. There is almost too much to see there! :)
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Davis2001r6
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Feb 26 2007 8:52 pm

I would agree as well about having 2 days to spend down there. Only 1 night was too short for me. I personally loved the Bedrock "shortcut" route as I like to think. If you pack is under 40lbs and you don't mind some scrambling and a little climbing I think it's great.

Hoffmaster

Post by Hoffmaster » Feb 26 2007 11:32 pm

davis2001r6 wrote:I personally loved the Bedrock "shortcut" route as I like to think. If you pack is under 40lbs and you don't mind some scrambling and a little climbing I think it's great.
Don't get me wrong! You steered me in the direction of the Bedrock Canyon route and I thought it was great as well. Much, much shorter route to the river. There was one section about 3/4 of the way to the top that seemed particularly hard though. I was thinking about how I was glad I didn't have a larger pack on at the time...although I suppose I could have taken it off and lifted it up the obstacles. I was just surprised at how unnerving that section was on the way up. Usually it's the downclimbs I don't like!

Davis2001r6
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Feb 27 2007 5:00 pm

Your right Matt, bedrock isn't for everyone. I haven't done the regular route so I guess I shouldn't compare the two. I had a friend tell me how horrible (difficult, long, steep) the regular route was so I've been biased I guess.

I love climbing and scrambling though, adds to the adventure for me, similar to the few walls that you have to climb/downclimb along the Escalante Route. My backpack never left my back. Others it almost turn people around or they lower and raise there packs with ropes along the way. South Canyon is a destination hike IMO, I want to get to the river to have as much time explore down there that I can. I think the bedrock route does that for me.

Hoffmaster

Post by Hoffmaster » Feb 27 2007 5:44 pm

davis2001r6 wrote: South Canyon is a destination hike IMO, I want to get to the river to have as much time explore down there that I can.
For sure. The canyon itself is not that interesting, but the river area is outrageously beautiful and interesting!
The thing I didn't like about the scrambles up the Bedrock Canyon route, is the rock seemed loose...like I might pull a huge chunk off at any moment. I'm not a big fan of that. I did the Escalante Route and I remember being perfectly comfortable on all of the climbing. The rock seemed more solid.

scorpion scus
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by scorpion scus » Feb 28 2007 10:36 am

how ever you go it is still a fantastic hike. i went down the length of s. canyon and loved it. never did bedrock canyon. scrambling and climbing is much fun.

Return to “North Rim”