North Rim Hikes

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

New operators of the North Rim Lodge and Restaurant

Post by Dschur » May 20 2008 8:15 am

There is a new company that has taken over the operation of the North Rim lodge and Restaurant at the Grand Canyon. They now do not take reservations for dinner up there and it was a mess when we were up there this last weekend. It is first come first served so we got in line on Friday for dinner at 5pm and didn't move in line for about 30 minutes. A lady just in front of us got in line at 4:45 and was still in line. She then at 545 got a pager and then was able to go out of the line. My husband and I since we had a table for 2 was able to be seated then after standing in line for an hour. About 15 minutes after we got seated they finally seated the lady and her party after 1 hr and 15 minutes. They did the same with the tour busses too and had them seated in groups of 4 or more. Then finally about the time we left it was close to 7pm they started seating the others in line. On Saturday we didn't even try to get in line since we knew that was going to be the busiest day. Just giving a heads up to any that are going to do the Rim to Rim anytime soon.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Sun_Ray
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: New operators of the North Rim Lodge and Restaurant

Post by Sun_Ray » May 20 2008 12:16 pm

I was really surprised when I heard several months ago that Xanterra had lost the contract on the N. Rim. I've always had good luck with the customer service folks I've talked to via the phone. After a long drive or hike it's always nice to know you have a dinner reservation waiting. I sure hope what you experienced is a temporary situation.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » May 20 2008 1:32 pm

There's gotta be more to this story. Wonder how bidding for that contract works. Bidding to pay more and/or offer more services in the traditional sense of a bid? If Xanterra didn't get low balled they either had complaints or lost interest in the business.

Almost sounds like the new guys bid $50 to little and forgot to factor in a hostess :lol:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » May 20 2008 8:05 pm

I'll be up there in a few weeks, and I'll see if I can't get more information when I'm there.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Dschur

Post by Dschur » May 20 2008 9:11 pm

They said that this is the way that they run all of their resorts. I don't think that they realize how difficult it would be. I felt sorry for the people working there it was the managements decision not the employees. There were a lot of mad people up there. It was the first weekend of the season for them and it is the busiest but will be just as busy in October too. With all the rim to rimmers coming up. We have been going up there for the past 10 years or so twice a year and never had a complaint with Xanterra. The food was not up to the previous quality either. There was complaints in line of people that had to stand in line the night before. I don't know how the rest of the summer will be since there aren't as many rim to rimmers. But I think Memorial Day weekend will be bad. There will be lots of rim to rimmers then too. The housekeepers were slow too they didn't get to our room until 3pm on Sat. But they are starting out new this season and getting into the swing of things.
From the National park website
The selection of Grand Canyon North Rim, L.L.C. for this contract was made through a competitive process. The park received a total of seven proposals, including a proposal from the current concessioner, Xanterra Parks & Resorts, Inc. Xanterra at the South Rim, L.L.C. (a subsidiary company of Xanterra Parks & Resorts, Inc.) continues to hold the contract for providing hospitality services on the south rim of Grand Canyon National Park.
EXPERIENCE YOUR AMERICA
The National Park Service cares for special places saved by the American people so that all may experience our heritage.
Martin noted, “We look forward to continuing to work with Xanterra as they provide high-quality services under their continuing concessions contract on the South Rim.”
In addition to Grand Canyon North Rim, L.L.C. and Xanterra Parks & Resorts, Inc., ARAMARK Sports & Entertainment Services, Inc., Delaware North Companies Parks & Resorts, Inc., Guest Services, Inc., National Park Hospitality Company (associated with Vail Resorts, Inc.) and Mr. Darrell Hafen also submitted proposals for the business opportunity on the North Rim of Grand Canyon National Park.
A team of experts analyzed the proposals based on criteria specified in the Concessions Management Improvement Act of 1998. Those criteria include protecting and conserving park resources, providing necessary and appropriate facilities and services to the public at reasonable rates, the experience of the concessioner, the financial capability of the concessioner and proposed franchise
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » May 20 2008 9:23 pm

I hope they vendor adapts to improve the customer experience. Any initial plan will have flaws, the real test is how the vendor reacts to discovering them.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » May 20 2008 9:37 pm

Dschur wrote:I felt sorry for the people working there it was the managements decision not the employees
ya no kidding

did it seem more disorganized or understaffed
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Crzy4AZ

Post by Crzy4AZ » Jul 13 2008 11:25 am

I was just at the Grand Lodge for a couple of nights, and they must have gotten the message loud and clear about the necessity of reservations. You can call ahead and make reservations or you can make them in person for dinner. You've always got the Deli that's open until 9pm as a backup, but you're limited to hot dogs, pizza, and sandwiches.

I've been to the Lodge twice before, and everything seemed fine to me on this visit with the new management.

Dschur

Post by Dschur » Jul 13 2008 3:42 pm

According to the website it says same day reservations available did you make reservations ahead of the same day???? We are going again the first weekend of Oct. It is always the busiest next to the first weekend opened. And know that the diningroom will be very busy.
Dawn

Crzy4AZ

Post by Crzy4AZ » Jul 13 2008 3:54 pm

I made same-day reservations, but I specifically asked if you could call ahead to make reservations - and they said yes.

I double-checked and called from home this morning and asked to make dinner reservations for next week (just to test the system) - and they were ready to take the reservation.

I didn't ask them how far in advance they would take a reservation over the phone. Not sure about that one.

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 14 2008 9:44 pm

I was up there last week and discovered the same thing - advance reservations are being taken. I didn't make one, but they said they were doing them now.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Return to “North Rim”