Anyone know the road conditions on the North Rim?

North Rim Hikes

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Xiled1
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Anyone know the road conditions on the North Rim?

Post by Xiled1 » May 26 2010 7:38 am

I'm getting some conflicting (and vague) reports from the ranger and what their report says. We're supposed to start the Thunder River/Deer Creek loop on Sunday. Some things I've heard is that its still snowed in and only accessible by snowmobile. Any info is appreciated.

johnlp
Roastapelli
City, State: chandler,az

Re: Anyone know the road conditions on the North Rim?

Post by johnlp » May 26 2010 7:44 am

The road to the north rim/ north kaibab trailhead is clear and snow free. Don't know about elsewhere. There is still a fair amount of snow up there, but it's all melted in exposed areas.
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » May 26 2010 7:47 am

Xiled1 wrote:I'm getting some conflicting (and vague) reports from the ranger
What, you are getting vague reports from the Forest Service? Perish the thought... :o

I am sure everyone on here is laughing, since the darned info receptionists never know ANYTHING in so many of the district offices. See if you can get a phone number for someone on the fire crew. They are often the ones that go out there and actually know the area.

And yes, I have applied for that job (info receptionist) every summer for years. Never even got an interview.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » May 26 2010 7:52 am

johnlp wrote:The road to the north rim/ north kaibab trailhead is clear and snow free. Don't know about elsewhere. There is still a fair amount of snow up there, but it's all melted in exposed areas.
He needs a report on a 30-mile stretch of dirt road in the Kaibab NF to Monument Point. As I said, if the ranger office is not forthcoming with good info, he should ask for the fire crew's phone number, or talk to the actual district ranger, not the phone-answerer.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

writelots
Wendipelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » May 26 2010 8:03 am

Xiled: I've also heard that you can get very reliable road info from the folks at the Jacob's Lake Inn. They not only see many of the visitors who try to go out on those roads, but they often travel them in person.
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » May 26 2010 8:52 am

Ahh, great tidbit of info to store away for future use!

Xiled1
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Xiled1 » May 26 2010 11:50 am

Managed to get some clarification between what NF said, what GC backcountry office said, and what their report states from 5/25. HWY 67 and the FR's that branch off are around 8K ft and those roads still have a lot of snow on them. But to access the Monument Pt trailhead, you can take FR 461 to 462 to 22 to 425 to 292. This route sits at a lower elevation and is clear of snow or mud. Mostly car accessible, except for possibly the last mile or two. Thanks for the input, I think I'll give the Jacob's Lake Inn a call to confirm.

Sun_Ray
Javakaipelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Sun_Ray » May 26 2010 2:09 pm

Xiled1, when you return let us know what you found the roads to be like as I'm headed Jacob Lake Lodge on June 8th. Thinking all should be open by then.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

Xiled1
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Xiled1 » May 26 2010 3:22 pm

To Clarify, HWY 67 is all clear. Its the FR's that branch off of 67 that still have snow. Most of those are closer to the North Rim as well.

Xiled1
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Xiled1 » Jun 04 2010 2:09 pm

Update: Got back on Wednesday and the route mentioned in my previous post was completely clear. No snow, mud, or moisture of any kind. It was all passable by car as well. We did not get any closer to the lodge, so I can't comment on the conditions up there.

Canyonram
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Canyonram » Aug 11 2010 6:45 pm

NPS has a website location to update trails/roads, etc.
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/t ... osures.htm

Return to “North Rim”