North Rim Hikes

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

North Rim Rescue

Post by Dschur » Feb 24 2015 4:43 pm

An Arizona Department of Public Safety helicopter was plucking stranded Northern Arizona University students out of an area near the north rim of the Grand Canyon and flying them to...
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loc ... /23936159/
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: North Rim Rescue

Post by big_load » Feb 24 2015 5:46 pm

Sometimes the hardest part of getting out doesn't start until you reach the car. That's happened a couple times for me. Once a storm was coming and I spent half a day nearly running out under a full load so I could get my rental car across the ford before water rose. After eight miles, I beat the rain by half an hour, but the water was already rising. (I'm glad I read the weather signs right). Another time was more like this story. Mrs. big_load and I were coming up from Havasu Falls in a heavy snow that was burying our car up at the top. We were lucky not be stuck, but we drove for two hours before getting much above walking speed.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: North Rim Rescue

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 24 2015 5:59 pm

Thanks for posting!

This was NAU Outdoors. They have a lot of great classes available to take as elective credit or also if you are majoring in Parks and Rec Mgmt. A 3 credit class in Multiday river guiding was my fave, in Grand Canyon! I also took mtn bike repair, whitewater kayaking, medicinal plants, water rescue, etc. (This was mostly in 2011.)

I noticed the article says "They knew what they were doing." They do work hard to have a respectable program. I didn't take any of the backpacking courses because I wanted to experience new stuff, however.

Glad to hear they got out okay.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “North Rim”