Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
rally_toad
Quickapelli
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Water situation: Tonto from Grandview to South Kaibab

Post by rally_toad » Mar 05 2018 9:03 pm

Hi all,

Will be taking this route later this month, which seems to be a difficult section of the Tonto when it comes to water. A bit nervous given how dry this winter has been. Has anyone been in this section of the Tonto recently or have any information about the water situation I sure would appreciate it!

-rallytoad
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

arizona_water
aguapelli
City, State: Salt River Valley

Re: Water situation: Tonto from Grandview to South Kaibab

Post by arizona_water » Mar 05 2018 9:24 pm

@rally_toad
I can speak to the whole tonto section of your hike, but...
I do know that cottonwood creek will be running below the Grandview trail, at the junction of Cottonwood and the Tonto. It will be at least a trickle, but likely more. Cottonwood may not be 100% perennial, but I would definitely count on it flowing enough to filter water for your next section on the Tonto.
- there's nothing like finding Water in the Desert -

rally_toad
Quickapelli
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Post by rally_toad » Mar 05 2018 9:57 pm

@arizona_water
Thank you! I appreciate this!

Anyone who has insight into the situation at Cremation Creek would be appreciated. I can carry half my weight in water, but don't want to if there is not a need!
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Mar 06 2018 9:05 am

rally_toad wrote:
Mar 05 2018 9:57 pm
@arizona_water
Thank you! I appreciate this!

Anyone who has insight into the situation at Cremation Creek would be appreciated. I can carry half my weight in water, but don't want to if there is not a need!
If no water at the Grapevine crossing, look upstream a ways - always water there (really cool exploring up-canyon OR down-canyon @ GV - worthy of a layover day) . Lonetree - in this case the water (if none at the crossing) is downstream about 10-15 minutes, creek right - actually not IN the stream-bed but out of it a few yards.
Cremation almost never 'flows' - but the west arm,about 4-5 minutes downstream often holds water in the granite tanks. Unless a eastbounder bothers to look down in there and tells you, though it is tough to know in advance. In March, though I would say chances are good. If hauling becomes necessary, it's merely 4 mi. or less from Lonetree to Cremation. Camps at Cremation are of the hardship variety iMO. In cooler weather and wind-permitting, consider camping up on the Tonto to gather late and early sun.
If the Rim is calling your name you can shave about 1/2 hour, and the cluster at the tip-off by angling up to the SK from WB Tonto, about 2/3 mile before the tip-off. The route is obvious, but no trail as-such. igallery/image_page.php?id=4590
Last edited by hikeaz on Mar 07 2018 11:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
kurt

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 06 2018 3:58 pm

I had a permit for it this week but canceled it due to cold. I talked to Hippy Haley, who told me she had easily seen running water In cremation and grapevine when she was across the river on Clear Creek trail. She also said they usually do have some water in them all year.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Mar 06 2018 4:07 pm

azbackpackr wrote:
Mar 06 2018 3:58 pm
I talked to Hippy Haley.
@Hippy
Last edited by chumley on Mar 06 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smoke it

Hippy
Grand-opelli
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Mar 07 2018 9:12 am

@chumley i am answering summons!

yeah so we were hiking across Clear Creek and could see very clearly across to Lone Pine and it had definite water in it, this was February 13, 2018 and this was seen BEFORE it started pouring on us. we have had at least 3 itty bitty bouts of "snow" since then.

Cottonwood an Grapevine are almost always good on water, i've never had a problem on dayhikes etc you can get 3+ liters easily.
I recommend carrying a ziploc baggy to scoop with if youre gonna be searching for water in cremation after March of any year.

k, bye!

Return to “South Rim”