Linked Areas none
Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

South Kaibab Trail

Post by Dschur » Mar 30 2011 4:39 pm

Hikers Injured in Rock Fall Incident at Grand Canyon National Park

Date: March 30, 2011

Grand Canyon, Ariz. – Two hikers were injured yesterday in a human-caused rock fall incident on the South Kaibab Trail below the South Rim of Grand Canyon National Park.

On Tuesday, March 29, at approximately 2:15 p.m., the Grand Canyon Regional Communications Center received a report that a male hiker had been injured by a rock fall in "the chimney" (a section of tight switchbacks located immediately below the rim) on the South Kaibab Trail. Emergency response personnel were immediately dispatched to the location.

Upon arriving at the scene, responders found two people who had suffered non-life threatening injuries in the incident – one nine-year old male and one 18-year old male. At that time, park staff were also informed that the rock fall appeared to have been human-caused.

While rangers began investigating the rock fall, emergency responders stabilized their patients before transporting them to the rim. By 3:15 p.m., both patients had arrived at the South Rim; and the nine-year old male was taken to the North Country Grand Canyon Clinic where he was treated and released. The 18-year old male was transported via ambulance to Flagstaff Medical Center for treatment.

The investigation has indicated that the rock fall was unintentionally caused by the activities of a visitor on a switchback above the injured hikers.

The National Park Service would like to remind everyone to use caution when approaching the edge both on the rim and on the trail as loose rock is prevalent and easily dislodged. Hikers are also reminded that during the spring freeze-thaw cycle an increase in naturally occurring rock falls should be expected.

No additional information about this incident is available at this time.

Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

KwaiChang
GC Bound
City, State: Rochester, NY

Re: South Kaibab Trail

Post by KwaiChang » Mar 30 2011 6:22 pm

Yikes!!! Good to know this - I will be hiking that trail in just under 6 weeks now! CAN. NOT. WAIT! :y:
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Mar 30 2011 8:24 pm

I'm glad at least one victim was quickly released and hope neither has lasting injuries. I don't like falling rocks. :(

maxpower
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by maxpower » Apr 03 2011 1:24 pm

I was coming up the Grandview Trail yesterday when I met a couple on their way down. The mentioned that someone had been hit by falling rocks dislodged from tourists scrambling above them. I got to the rim about 30 minutes after meeting this couple but everything must have been taken care of. I didn't hear any news other than this.

Sun_Ray
Javakaipelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Sun_Ray » Apr 03 2011 1:58 pm

Kwai Chang wrote:Yikes!!! Good to know this - I will be hiking that trail in just under 6 weeks now! CAN. NOT. WAIT! :y:
I know how you feel! I'm going in early June and think about it everyday. I'm driving my wife nuts with all the talk ;)
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

no avatar
0hurricanes
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by 0hurricanes » Aug 27 2011 2:19 pm

I will be hiking this for the first time (actually my first Canyon hike). My sister and I will be going about to the 3 miles mark. She's not acclimated to the altitude like I am. She's in good shape as she's a runner, me I just hike when I can! Anyway, what can we expect on this hike? How much water, etc. We are going on Oct. 3rd or 4th. Any info would be great! Thanks in advance!

Jeff

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 27 2011 2:24 pm

Bring 2 to 3 quarts of water for each of you, and salty snacks. Check weather before going. If hot, bring more water. Wear a hat and sunscreen. Bring a camera!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

no avatar
0hurricanes
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by 0hurricanes » Aug 27 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks! Water is a given as is the salty snacks, just wasn't sure of the amount. Was thinking of Peanut Butter sandwiches (Kroger makes a good natural PB) for a "filler". And a big YES on the camera. It's my 17th trip to the canyon and my first hike into it (always playing tour guide with family), and it will be my sis's first time ever there. I'm guessing it will be in the 60's at the rim and high 70's by the time we reach the 3 mile mark.

Jeff

Return to “South Rim”