Linked Areas none
no avatar
ljm9304
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: tempe, az

Last minute permits for may

Post by ljm9304 » May 05 2013 6:47 pm

Hi everyone.

I finish school on Tuesday and am thinking of driving up to the canyon in an effort to get a walk-up permit. I'll be flying solo and am pretty flexible. Are May permits easy to come by? I'd like to stay on the corridor trails :? .....

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Last minute permits for may

Post by Al_HikesAZ » May 05 2013 7:17 pm

Wednesday, Thursday and maybe Friday might be good. The Weekend could be tough, but you could get lucky.

Be flexible. Bright Angel Campground might be booked, but consider going a little farther to Cottonwood. Or carrying extra water from Phantom Ranch and going up and out on Clear Creek to dry camp. The Rangers at the Back Country office are usually pretty helpful.

Be really flexible. If you have a little extra money, check in at the desk in the Bright Angel Lodge and see if any raft trips have cancelled reservations that day for the Phantom Ranch Dorms.

If someone ahead of you in line has just snagged a Corridor permit for less than 6 people, maybe you can charm your way and get them to add you to their permit.

If you have water purification skills and tools, consider the Threshold trails. Hermit or Grandview.

It is going to be warm, so take care and hydrate.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Re: Last minute permits for may

Post by cactuscat » May 05 2013 10:39 pm

As long as you are willing to wait around on the Rim for a day or two and go to the Backcountry Office in the morning when they open, you should be able to get a permit for a corridor campground.
You could also try to make friends with one of the HAZers who live here and ask them to get you a number from the BCO the day before you arrive to shorten your wait. :)
Where is the "dislike" button?

Return to “South Rim”