Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
KwaiChang
GC Bound
City, State: Rochester, NY

Phantom Ranch Questions

Post by KwaiChang » Apr 29 2011 12:54 pm

This is my final question ( I promise, I think) before I leave in two weeks to begin my first adventure. :y:

I am staying at Phantom for one night. I have the full monty as far as food - good god proally more food than three people can eat but I have it all - at any rate - seeing that I have never been there and I can only get scant info on the this place I am wondering the following;

What is the earliest time you can get into the dorms and "claim" your bunk?
Is your "stuff" safe in the dorm when you are not there? IE; do I gotta take all my stuff with me to dinner and breakfast?
What time does the cantina open/close?
Do they lock the doors of the dorms at a certain hour in the evening?
Ever hear about anyone's stuff missing?
Is it reasonable to think I could hike to Ribbon Falls and back to Phantom in say 4-5 hours?

Thanks in advance Hazer's. ;)
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Phantom Ranch Questions

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Apr 29 2011 4:47 pm

3 What time does the cantina open/close?
The canteen is open from 8:00AM to 4:00PM and from 8:00PM to 10:00PM. It opens after breakfasts are served. It closes to set up and serve dinners, then it opens for the evening.
1 What is the earliest time you can get into the dorms and "claim" your bunk?
4 Do they lock the doors of the dorms at a certain hour in the evening?
I would suggest you call Xanterra Phantom Ranch (actually the Bright Angel Lodge Front Desk) at 928-638-3283. You have to check in at the Bright Angel Lodge to confirm your reservation and meals. I don't remember a curfew or the doors being locked. But I fell sound asleep for the night.
2 Is your "stuff" safe in the dorm when you are not there? IE; do I gotta take all my stuff with me to dinner and breakfast?
What is your Karma Quotient? Usually Canyon Carma protects most stuff. If you're worried about your Karma, you can buy a steel mesh/lock device. They're heavy so I've never taken them into the Canyon. If you want more info about these locks, I can find out for you.
5 Ever hear about anyone's stuff missing?
When I woke up one morning, I found that my bottle of Tequila was empty. But I might have been partly to blame. I just couldn't remember
6 Is it reasonable to think I could hike to Ribbon Falls and back to Phantom in say 4-5 hours?
How fast can you hike? It's about 12 miles and 1,300 AEG. You should just have a light daypack. It can get hot going through The Box. At 2.5mph avg, you could get there and back in 5 hours. It just doesn't give you much time to explore it and enjoy it. Jogging at 6mph you can get there and back in 2 hours. If the creek isn't running too fast and If you're good at bushwhacking across creeks, you can bushwhack across the creek and not go up Asinine Hill and over the bridge. Could save you 15 minutes each way. Unless you get lost. Or swept back downcreek to the Colorado River.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

writelots
Wendipelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Apr 29 2011 5:40 pm

Kwai Chang wrote: Is your "stuff" safe in the dorm when you are not there? IE; do I gotta take all my stuff with me to dinner and breakfast?
Just remember, what you steal from Phantom Ranch, you have to haul out on your own back. It is FAR more common to have people sneak stuff into your backpack or just abandon all of their gear altogether rather than stealing. Of course, there was that time I drank all of that guy's tequila while he was passed out... :lol:
Kwai Chang wrote: Is it reasonable to think I could hike to Ribbon Falls and back to Phantom in say 4-5 hours?
I suppose, but why would you want to? Last time I visited, we meandered out there at about 1.5mph, taking photos, enjoying the wildflowers, generally wrecking havoc. Then we hung out at the falls long enough for lunch, good conversation and a good Tibbernation. Then we hauled pumpkin back to the lodge - I think we made it in 2.5 hours, and according to Tibber's GPS it was closer to 8 miles than 6. We were motivated by beer - we wanted to get to the ranch before they did last call before dinner.

Where's the beer chugging smiley, anyhow???

Have fun! I'm jealous that you'll be in the canyon and I'll be stuck here!
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Apr 29 2011 7:50 pm

writelots wrote: Of course, there was that time I drank all of that guy's tequila while he was passed out... :lol:
IT HAD TO BE YOU,
WONDERFUL YOU,
IT HAD TO BE YOU!!! :y:

All I remember is a dream where an Angel kissed me on the forehead and whispered tenderly in my ear "Sweet Dreams and an easy hike". That is still my favorite memory of the Canyon and well worth a bottle of Herradura Seleccion Suprema Ultra Anejo. :kf:

Yeah where is that beer chugging smiley. :M2C: Te-wa must have one of those to share with Joe.
Rick: Of all the dormitories, in all the Canyons, in all the world, she walks into mine. :sl:
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

writelots
Wendipelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Apr 29 2011 10:28 pm

;)
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Apr 29 2011 11:01 pm

writelots wrote:Where's the beer chugging smiley, anyhow???
Ja vi elsker dette landet

Davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Apr 30 2011 12:04 am

writelots wrote:Just remember, what you steal from Phantom Ranch, you have to haul out on your own back. It is FAR more common to have people sneak stuff into your backpack or just abandon all of their gear altogether rather than stealing.
That is the truth, before you leave to hike out make sure your friends didn't "load you up" with their gear they didn't want to carry out. But an extra rock in there backpack always makes for a laugh.

KwaiChang
GC Bound

Post by KwaiChang » May 03 2011 3:00 pm

Thanks so much for the answers Al and for the Ribbon Falls hike advice Tibber - all you folks here on the HAZ site are making this a much more enjoyable deal for me - way less stress to when/what/where.

Thanks again!!!

Can
Not
Wait
Till
The
14th!!!!!!
:thanx:

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » May 12 2011 10:35 am

What are the dates of your actual hike? I might hike down to Cottonwood on the 20th and spend the night if I can get a permit at the walk-in office.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

KwaiChang
GC Bound

Post by KwaiChang » May 12 2011 12:04 pm

Hi Liz - I will be doing the following;

Saturday , 14th, a day hike on Hermit to Dripping Springs and back to Maswik for the nite
Sunday, 15th, down BA to Phantom
Monday, 16th, over to Ribbon Falls and a quick side trip into Phantom Canyon then back to Phantom
Tuesday, 17th, out NK to NR Lodge
Wednesday, 18th, down to Roaring Springs back to NR Lodge
Thursday, 19th, Down NK, up BA and pass out in the hot tub in the GC Hojo outside of the GC.

OK as I typed this up I realized I will not be there for the 20th - sorry to miss you! Hope you get your pass. Thanks for all the advice on my many questions.

Sun_Ray
Javakaipelli

Post by Sun_Ray » May 12 2011 12:15 pm

Kwai..........rest is a good thing! You may want to consider Monday or Wednesday as a rest day because you will not miss anything as you can stop and see either Ribbon Falls or Roaring Springs as you pass by going up or down NK. Have a wonderful time, we HAZers will be thinking about you.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

KwaiChang
GC Bound

Post by KwaiChang » May 13 2011 6:42 pm

Sun Ray - Yeah we have already thought about that too......we are going to base this entire thing on what our bodies tell us!!!

In Flagstaff now - wow a million people here due to the NAU Commencement tomorrow - congrats to all the grads and best of luck to them as they venture out into the "real" world!

Packing up the backpacks now......trying to figger what we really need versus do not need.....that and hoping I get WiFi at Maswik. Brought way too much stuff I think......better to have too much than not enough I suppose.

YES! We are here!

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » May 13 2011 7:11 pm

Dude where you at? I live right in town.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

KwaiChang
GC Bound

Post by KwaiChang » May 13 2011 7:50 pm

Hi Liz - we are at the Hojo by 17 on Lucky Lane - getting ready to go out and get some more stuff we need and then maybe going out for a nite cap.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » May 13 2011 8:00 pm

Oh, my niece just stayed there, it is not far from here. Well, I am actually overwhelmed with stuff to do. I am just finishing up the last paper of the semester, I have to submit it tonight, and am also getting ready for a one-week river guide school that starts tomorrow at 9 a.m. We are going to raft the lower Grand Canyon, out in W. AZ, my first GC big water trip!! Yippee!! We don't leave for the put-in until Sunday afternoon, though. And they are going to teach me a bunch of stuff. I am stoked! 3 university credits, too!

So, I guess I am not going out. It would be fun to meet you, though.

I hope you have a great time! I am sure you are prepared, and will have fun. If you're going to buy more gear, I don't know if any place is open. I like Four Seasons. But maybe you just meant food. There is a Fry's super market on Rt 66 that is pretty good. About a block from my house!

KwaiChang
GC Bound

Post by KwaiChang » May 13 2011 8:07 pm

Hey Liz - have a great time on the water!!! Totally understand that you have a ton of stuff to do - not like I gave you much warning! ;)

We are just going out to get water, a cheap rain pancho for my buddy and some tequila for the evening while down at Phantom Ranch..... :D

Good luck on your paper - I am sure I will be back out here again soon!!!! :y:

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » May 13 2011 8:14 pm

Woohoo! We are both starting out on some pretty awesome adventures in the Canyon!

eduley
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Washington, DC

Post by eduley » Dec 18 2011 8:42 pm

Several years ago somebody took a couple of sandwiches and other food from my wife's backpack at the dorm in Phantom Ranch. We didn't find out until later when we stopped for lunch at midday ... it didn't make us happy.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 19 2011 11:39 am

eduley wrote:Several years ago somebody took a couple of sandwiches and other food from my wife's backpack at the dorm in Phantom Ranch. We didn't find out until later when we stopped for lunch at midday ... it didn't make us happy.
One more reason to stay off the tourist path... :D

Return to “Phantom Ranch”