Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Hippy
Grand-opelli
City, State: Grand Canyon

Phantom Ranch moving to Lottery?

Post by Hippy » Sep 09 2015 1:02 pm

So we all know about "The Bid" battle right? Xanterra being pushed out and a new concessions contract is up...old news.

BUT...did anyone else besides a little birdie friend read the NPS Prospectus?

The major stuff planned is valet service at el tovar, expansion of patio seating on rim side, quick service food in et bar, food trucks around the village, tear down of maswik south (think that is 2017) and renovating Maswik cabins to be year round (currently they are closed in winter due to lack of insulation and heating) also its stated that BA lodge cabins will be spruced up and remodel (oh exciting!)

As far as I know the concessionaires are to adhere to the NPS prospectus and it clear as day stated Phantom Ranch will be moved to a lottery drawing. (Like what they have in the popular High Sierra camps in YOSE.)

Last time I heard about this being a possibility was back in early 2013...why did it never happen? Does it have something to do with Xanterra being in charge?
Is this yet "another reason" why the big X is being pushed out of GRCA?

Personally I think a lottery system for Phantom is a great idea. It won't trouble me at all. Oh the joys of having friends in low places ;)

Thoughts?

Mick
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Phantom Ranch moving to Lottery?

Post by Mick » Sep 10 2015 3:59 am

I like what Delaware have done with Yavapai-somewhere to drink if it is raining in Mather. Not sure if a new company at Phantom would lower beer prices for punters or just give NPS a bigger slice of the profits.
AZMick

nikorock28
Thumb Butte Bandito
City, State: Kingman, AZ

Post by nikorock28 » Sep 10 2015 10:13 am

Well, I just got the email and Xanterra was awarded the contract.

nikorock28
Thumb Butte Bandito
City, State: Kingman, AZ

Post by nikorock28 » Sep 10 2015 10:22 am

As for the items that Hippy has presented, I signed a confidentiality agreement last year so am unable to comment.

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Sep 13 2015 6:14 pm

Cancellation rates @ Phantom are high (especially from the ones who reserved a year+ in advance). Who would like to be cooped up in a 10-person dorm anyway? YUK!
kurt

Return to “Phantom Ranch”