Linked Description  • Bright Angel Trail, AZ
Linked Areas none
nicholac
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Phantom Ranch Meals

Post by nicholac » Apr 09 2003 10:37 am

Hi Everybody!

I have a simple question. How do I reserve a meal at the Phantom Ranch? I plan to stay the night at the Bright Angel Campground and would like to get my meals there, instead of packing in and out.

Thanks,
Chris

no avatar
desertgirl
Bika pelli
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by desertgirl » Apr 09 2003 2:23 pm

Call Xanterra & make reservations. It is the same # you use to make rim room reservations.

Phone: 303.29.PARKS (303.297.2757) or
888.29.PARKS (888.297.2757)

Fax: 303.297.3175

Hours of operation: Open, 7:00 am - 6:00 pm, Mountain Time, 7 days a week. We are closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day. For same day reservations or to reach a Lodge guest call 928.638.2631.

E-mail: reserve-gcsr@xanterra.com

Website http://www.xanterra.com/

nicholac
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by nicholac » May 27 2003 3:44 pm

Thanks for the information. Just as a side note, you want to get your meal reservation in as soon as you get your back country permit. They have a limited number of meals available every night.
-CN

coaster
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by coaster » May 27 2003 3:55 pm

I once made a reservation at PR a year in advance but had to cancel due to unexpected illness. I'd like to eat there one of these days (I hear the stew rocks!). Anyhow, I was speaking to Kurt this weekend on the Hellsgate trip and he mentioned that you can often walk into PR and pick up a cancelled meal for the same day. Bring some extra food just in case you don't get it though :-)

Newbie hiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Avondale, AZ

Cost of meals at PR

Post by Newbie hiker » May 27 2003 5:22 pm

So, how much does this cost? I know dorm-style accomodations are $26/night, but what about the meals?

no avatar
Diane Tuccillo
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Diane Tuccillo » Sep 15 2003 10:05 pm

I think it is around $27. But it is worth every dollar! The hiker's stew is absolutely amazing, but it is not just that. It is the salad, and the cornbread, and the chocolate cake too. It was all you can eat, and they were actually begging us to eat more, there was so much food.

It is truly a meal to remember, to go along with the awesome hike.
jersey girl

Glitter
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Glitter » Sep 16 2003 9:05 am

I heard that the meals down there are great to, made a reservation too late last time. Save me the weight and the hassle of stove and extra food. Thanks for the great info.
Keep on truckin'
-Chris

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Sep 22 2003 1:53 pm

You may make your meal reservations up to two years in advance (with Xanterra) & receive a refund (with 48 hour notice) if you end up not getting the BC permit to match. I have done this 2X a year for over 10 years & have never been skunked on the BC permit request.

Also, if you can't get to Phantom, but would like to try the stew......

PHANTOM RANCH STEW

8 to 10 servings

Heat large pan on med-high heat and add 5 lbs. lean stew meat (use a good cut, you may pay more, but it is well worth it). After the meat is cooked, let simmer until there is a dark scum on the top. DO NOT DRAIN ANY LIQUID!

Add the following ingredients:

1 ½ Large onions (I use red onions) coarsely chopped.

½ stalks (bunch) Celery.

4 oz. Burgundy Wine.

4 oz. Red Wine Vinegar.

3 oz. B-V beef base B-V Broth and Sauce Mfg. by Major Products, Little Ferry, NJ 07643.

16 oz. Water.

1 TBS Garlic powder ( 3 or 4 cloves of fresh garlic works very well).

1 TBS Thyme.

1 TBS dried Oregano.

1 tsp ground Cloves.

2 tsp fresh ground pepper

1 large Bay Leave

Stir all ingredients and bring just to a boil then turn down to low and let simmer for at least 3 hours, then ADD the following CANNED vegetables.

60 oz. of green beans.

32 oz. of carrots.

96 oz. white potatoes.

32 oz of corn.

Bring to a boil and then turn back to low. Let simmer and thicken with corn starch (will not need much).
kurt

no avatar
greenie44
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Phantom Ranch Meals

Post by greenie44 » Jan 26 2009 11:02 am

You should definitely book meals as soon as you make reservations. I didn't - got a cabin for two nights, called back 2 months later and all dinners were sold out.

We are still trying to pick up any cancellations, but one solution that was suggested was to reserve a sack lunch for dinner. I understand they will hold it for you.

hulagu79
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: phoenix

Post by hulagu79 » Sep 18 2009 12:44 am

i was there a month ago and the food is really good.Dorms are 45$ a night sack lunch is 13$ (and very good) dinner is for vegi about 27$ and for beef i think it was 45$
everyone shares the food and usually there is enough leftovers so even if you get vegi u may be able to try beef or vise versa :wrt:
i made my meal reservations only 3 days before my trip.....

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 18 2009 3:50 am

I was camping down by there (BA campground) a few years ago during winter solstice, (I'll have to tell you that story sometime) and we stopped in at the Cantina. They had extra meals to sell us if we had had the money to buy them. I assume they'd had cancellations.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

krispykritter
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: santan valley

Post by krispykritter » Aug 14 2012 1:13 pm

I know its an old post but... Is the stew big enough for my wife and I or should I reserve 2 meals? I remember seein the stew looking realy big when I was there last.

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Aug 14 2012 1:19 pm

krispykritter wrote:I know its an old post but... Is the stew big enough for my wife and I or should I reserve 2 meals? I remember seein the stew looking realy big when I was there last.

It's served family style. Actually I don't believe that you may even be in the canteen for dinner w/o a reservation/payment for each person entering. (It's almost always full and the 'store' component is closed from 4-8PM)
Last edited by hikeaz on Aug 15 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
kurt

krispykritter
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: santan valley

Post by krispykritter » Aug 14 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks! What I saw was them serving it family style. Makes sense now. Its my wife first time to the Canyon and all she can think about is whats for dinner.

writelots
Wendipelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Aug 15 2012 11:13 am

I hope her first trip to the canyon is good enough that she keeps thinking that way. Some folks get down there and can only think about getting out :o
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

Return to “Phantom Ranch”