Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Grasshopper
Detailapelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

"Queen Creek-San Tan Mtns" Hiking Fatality on 1/21/08

Post by Grasshopper » Jan 27 2008 3:01 pm

As some of you may have heard, Lyman Scott from Queen Creek,AZ, died this past Mon-1/21/08 while hiking near his home in San Tan Regional Park. Lyman was a friend, an active member of AOTC, and a fun guy with a great sense of humor.. He will be missed by all who knew him. His wife Sheila, who wrote the below BIO, has given permission for me to publish:

"Lyman H Scott

As many of you know Lyman Scott passed away January 21,2008. Lyman joined AOTC in the year 2000 and became an active member of the organization as both a hiker and a member of the Board of Directors.. Hiking was a passion for Lyman and he greatly valued the friendships he has made at AOTC, it was a big part of his life.

Lyman went hiking off trail in the San Tan Mountains Regional Park in Queen Creek. His goal was to hike all the peaks in the San Tan Mountain Park, near his home. He set out to hike "Rock Peak" and never returned from his outing. Sheila called the sheriffs department who than went out to the park and discovered his car was still there. Mountain search and rescue was deployed and late in the afternoon of January 23, 2008, a helicopter discovered his body. Lyman had fallen about 200 feet. Mountain rescue went in and discovered he was deceased and recovered the body later that evening. The investigator went back to the hiking site the next 2 following days. He reported to Sheila it was a very steep, narrow, rocky trail and would not recommend anyone go up there. From what he found he believes Lyman made it to the summit of the mountain. The investigator, himself, did not summit as he thought it was to dangerous.

There will be 2 memorial services - One in Montana and one in Arizona. Lyman's last wish was to be cremated, and for his 2 sons to scatter his ashes over the Great Continental Divide in Montana. These wishes will be carried out on June 10, Lyman’s 62 birthday. The memorial service in Arizona will be towards the end of February, as his family in Montana will be here at that time. The date will be announced at a later time."
Last edited by Grasshopper on Jan 27 2008 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: "Queen Creek-San Tan Mtns" Hiking Fatality on 1/21/08

Post by joebartels » Jan 27 2008 3:07 pm

Sorry to hear, my thoughts go out to his family.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Vaporman
Mythical Legend
City, State: SLC, Utah

Post by Vaporman » Jan 28 2008 5:09 am

That's very unfortunate... Which peak in the San Tans has a 200ft drop? I played around the San Tans awhile back, but don't remember anything too treacherous...
Yea, canyoneering is an extreme sport... EXTREMELY dramatic!!! =p

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Jan 28 2008 7:28 am

Vaporman wrote:That's very unfortunate... Which peak in the San Tans has a 200ft drop? I played around the San Tans awhile back, but don't remember anything too treacherous...
You'd be surprised to know then, that there is some multi-pitch climbing in the San Tans. I have never climbed there, but I know some people that know the area quite well. I will be moving to the dreaded Johnson Ranch in a few months, so I'll probably explore the area extensively.

Hank, sorry to hear about your friend. My condolences.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Jan 28 2008 8:20 am

My condolences as well. What is AOTC?
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

davidanthonyporter
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by davidanthonyporter » Jan 28 2008 8:41 am

So sorry to hear of this tragic loss. Please give our thoughts and prayers to the family.

Grasshopper
Detailapelli

Post by Grasshopper » Jan 28 2008 8:46 am

Vaporman wrote:Which peak in the San Tans has a 200ft drop?
ROCK PEAK in the San Tan's is the peak where he took the 200' fatal fall.

Rob- AOTC stands for "Arizona Outdoor Travel Club".. a very active PHX area, non-profit, hiking club since 1983

Hank

Vaporman
Mythical Legend
City, State: SLC, Utah

Post by Vaporman » Jan 28 2008 4:06 pm

You'd be surprised to know then, that there is some multi-pitch climbing in the San Tans. I have never climbed there, but I know some people that know the area quite well. I will be moving to the dreaded Johnson Ranch in a few months, so I'll probably explore the area extensively.
There is...sweet! Probably not sport though. I only lead moderate sport routes so far... :? I'll have to look more into it.
Yea, canyoneering is an extreme sport... EXTREMELY dramatic!!! =p

IrvFerguson
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Coolidge, AZ

Post by IrvFerguson » Mar 15 2014 5:57 pm

Very sorry to hear about that. Irv.
Irv

Return to “Fatality & Obituary”