Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
TrackerAZ
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Prescott, AZ

GPS Joe

Post by TrackerAZ » Jan 07 2011 12:51 pm

I am somewhat surprised at the lack of media coverage of the Gps Joe search .Why has there been so little ?

paulhubbard
Harley Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: GPS Joe

Post by paulhubbard » Jan 08 2011 10:42 am

An elderly man disappeared while walking the golf course at Red Mountain (my neighborhood) over Christmas, and there have been helicopters looking for him every day - Including right now. Not sure if they're private on not, but it would be nice if SAR had the same diligence when searching for Joe.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

SUN_HIKER
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix & Overgaard, AZ

Post by SUN_HIKER » Jan 09 2011 1:38 pm

SAR was out for one week looking for Joe (Joe's son and myself being there with them) They did everything they could from Helicopters to ground searches, dogs etc. However after not finding a thing after a week and changes in the weather, there are only so many resources available and it becomes like looking for a needle in a haystack. Everyone who has been out there in that terrain knows and understands the difficulties the search efforts are faced with.
SUN HIKER

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Jan 09 2011 4:17 pm

I think the other thing to consider with SAR, is that they have to be choosy with their limited funds. Once something obviously changes from a rescue to a recovery, it makes sense they would keep their resources for situations where a life might actually be saved. Though it would have been nice if they had searched longer, I'd rather see them using their limited resources for times that really count. Another week of them searching was not going to bring Joe back and, in all honesty, someone's life is worth much more than someone else's peace of mind :( . When the weather gets better up there, he will most likely be found by members of the hiking community and if not-- he will remain at rest in the wilderness he loved. I think both endings have their own unique comfort to offer.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

IrvFerguson
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Coolidge, AZ

Post by IrvFerguson » Mar 02 2014 11:25 am

I found out about GPS Joe only by looking up the Superstition Search and Rescue at sar.org while I was adding some things to update my website, as a result of this I have put his name where he was last seen on the site to try to help in some way and will keep a look out for him. Very sad sorry to hear about him. Irv.
Irv

Return to “Fatality & Obituary”