Schnebly Hill Formation - Pine/Strawberry

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Schnebly Hill Formation - Pine/Strawberry

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Mar 10 2009 4:47 pm

I'm doing a research project on the Schnebly Hill Formation for my Historical Geology class. My professor mentioned that there are some exposures of it in the Pine/Strawberry area. Anybody know of some good hikes to see the exposures? Dschur?
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Re: Schnebly Hill Formation - Pine/Strawberry

Post by Dschur » Mar 10 2009 9:00 pm

The whole rim from Strawberry/Pine is Schnebly Hill Formation to the 260 on the East Side of Payson below Willow Springs Lake. So any of the trails going off the rim and onto the Highline trail will cut thru it. Right at Strawberry /Pine is the Pine Canyon Trail 26. It goes from the Kaibab thru to the Naco. This would have to be when the roads open up and the snow goes since there was still a couple of feet of snow at the gate off of 87. Another place to see the Ft Apache member is at the trail head at the top of the hill from Pine before Strawberry on the way up the rim. I am not sure what the name of it is but the Ft. Apache is very visible from Pine with all the pine trees killed off from the bark beetle we can see it better there now. It also crosses the road right at just before the vehicle pull out spot above Pine. You can also see some good exposures on the Fossil Springs Trail. http://www.hikearizona.com/images/maps/pay/HTC4.png To see some of the trails off the Rim...
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Re: Schnebly Hill Formation - Pine/Strawberry

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Mar 10 2009 10:21 pm

Awesome, thanks! I'll probably be heading down that way next Thursday.
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

Return to “Geology”