Post by MARLIN » Apr 05 2010 5:35 pm

Did you feel the earthquake in Arizona? :o

I was able to record some of the shakes... see the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwd0jjtOTpg

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Earthquake in AZ

Post by joebartels » Apr 05 2010 5:40 pm

There may have been a quake but the Easter Bunny chugging vodka was swaying the camera too :sl:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

MARLIN
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by MARLIN » Apr 05 2010 5:45 pm

.... a little bit, I admit, but still...

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Apr 05 2010 7:16 pm

Cool! I've been following this story since it happened yesterday. Thanks for posting the video.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Apr 05 2010 8:39 pm

I was working at me desk and I thought I was having a medical reaction - I was wobbling. Then I noticed my blinds were wobbling so I thought it was something happening to the building - like a big truck in the basement. Then my third thought was - hey maybe it's an earthquake in CA. So I Googled and found out it was an earthquake in Mexico. Then I got worried that maybe too many Mexicans had crossed the border and like Congressman Johnson's Guam - maybe we were about to capsize. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9R-cQ_A_6w

Then I had some coffee and crunched some more tax numbers.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Nan
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Nan » Apr 06 2010 8:51 am

Didn't feel a thing at my house.

allanalxndr
City, State: Phx, AZ

Post by allanalxndr » Apr 06 2010 9:02 am

I was sitting on the couch watching a movie and the TV started moving around and I felt this swaying motion. I thought in my head, is this an earthquake, but ignored it and continued watching the horribly slow and boring movie, Up in the Air. After I found out it was an earthquake, I was a little bent with myself for not going out and checking the pool... First experience here...

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 06 2010 9:04 am

My daughter was in San Diego at a big Easter party and thought it was all the little kids kicking the couch she was sitting on! The rest of the adults in the house knew what it was. She said, she missed her first earthquake because she thought it was the kids!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 06 2010 9:06 am

I have always thought if I felt one in Phoenix or Tucson, my first thought would be, "There goes L.A."

But of course, Tucson did have a big one in May of 1887, which was centered south of the border, but did cause damage in town. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... _05_03.php
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

MARLIN

Post by MARLIN » Apr 06 2010 9:29 am

I wonder if any of the rock piles (cairns) were knocked down. Next time I go hiking I‘ll have to check it out…

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Apr 06 2010 9:38 am

We didn't feel a thing here. I think a lot of those in Tucson who were not on a higher floor of a building are being overly-dramatic about the whole thing... ;)
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Nan
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Nan » Apr 06 2010 11:14 am

I did notice the door of the guest bathroom sticking that afternoon, so maybe the foundation settled a little.

PrestonSands
City, State: Oro Valley, AZ

Post by PrestonSands » Apr 06 2010 2:12 pm

My wife and I were in a Tempe Applebees, and we felt the booth shaking back and forth. The chandeliers were swinging, too. It was my first earthquake experience. A pretty mellow one, but exciting!
"I'm going for a coffee, but you never know when a hike might break out." -Jim Gaffigan

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Apr 06 2010 4:21 pm

Was camping in the desert near Wickenburg didn't feel anything about what time was it???
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

MARLIN

Post by MARLIN » Apr 06 2010 4:58 pm

It started at 3:39 PM.

T Harris
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by T Harris » Apr 06 2010 5:02 pm

I don't think i've ever seen people/media make such a big deal out of something so small like this. I was driving during the time the "earthquake was felt" so I didn't notice anthing, but maybe all of this is so ridiculous to me because i've been in a REAL earthquake before.

juliachaos

Post by juliachaos » Apr 06 2010 5:08 pm

I was in Sedona. Didn't feel a thing up there.. bummer! =P

tibber

Post by tibber » Apr 06 2010 6:32 pm

I was driving toward the Mayan Palace resort in Rocky Point, Mexico when Tonto wanted to veer sharply left. When we got to the resort, the couple we were meeting said that there was an earthquake and the people that were on the beach and by the pool all started to stand as they watched the water slosh around pretty good but didn't know quite to do.

On a liter note, Rose, one of the people we were meeting says, she looked out to sea and didn't see a tsunami so figured they were okay and sat down. :lol:

FYI - big blues/brown shrimp are only $7 per pound. I also bot some scallops, some of the largest escargot I've ever seen in my life and Mister Fish threw in some clams. What a deal! :D :y:
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 06 2010 6:47 pm

T Harris wrote:I don't think i've ever seen people/media make such a big deal out of something so small like this. I was driving during the time the "earthquake was felt" so I didn't notice anthing, but maybe all of this is so ridiculous to me because i've been in a REAL earthquake before.
I was in a 6.7 in Kona--that was a pretty good shaker. Have been in a lot of them in both Hawaii and San Diego, but the rest of them were not that big. You can feel them when they are 5's. (I am not sure if you can even feel 4's).

Here's the usgs write-up of the biggest one I was in. It was early in the morning, we were still in bed. We grabbed the kids and ran outside.
Historic Earthquakes
Island of Hawaii
1983 November 16 UTC
Magnitude 6.7

This earthquake, the most destructive in Hawaii since a magnitude 7.2 event occurred there in 1975, caused heavy property damage on the island of Hawaii and injured six people. The Small Business Administration reported 35 commercial buildings sustained varying degrees of damage, 317 houses had minor damage, and 39 houses had major damage. Unanchored chimneys fell. Roads, bridges, and other government facilities also were damaged.

At Volcano, many houses and garages were moved off their foundations, causing extensive damage to ceilings and walls. Highways in the area were cracked severely and were closed temporarily. Elevated water tanks were thrown down; water tanks on gravel bases were moved as much as 5 cm, and some had their roofs damaged or knocked off by sloshing water. Three chimneys collapsed. Moderate damage on Hawaii Island also occurred at Hawaiian Volcano Observatory, Hilo, Kipapala Ranch, Kaumana, Kilauea Military Camp, and Wood Valley.

Landslides and ground cracking occurred in many areas on southern Hawaii Island. The most severe ground failures were on Crater Rim Drive, a road around Kilauea crater. The road extended near the edge of the crater wall in several places, and a section of the road fell into the crater. In other areas, cracks as much as 1-1.5 meters wide and 3-6 meters deep formed in the road. Also many sections of trails in Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park collapsed into the main caldera of Kilauea Volcano. At South Point and Kealakekua Bay, parts of cliffs fell into the ocean. Felt on Kauai, Lanai, Maui, Molokai, and Oahu.

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Apr 06 2010 10:34 pm

When I was stationed in CA we had a ~3.5 quake hit on the central coast. It was almost right beneath us so we got pretty shaken up and some equipment was damaged. All the contractors were locals and they all ran for door frames...I didn't know what the heck was going on and it just made me want to get back home to AZ even faster!! :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Return to “Geology”