Did you feel the earthquake in Arizona? :o

I was able to record some of the shakes... see the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwd0jjtOTpg

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Earthquake in AZ

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 07 2010 5:26 am

So, you have said something I didn't know, that you can feel a 3.5 as long as you are at epicenter. And DON'T run for doorframes, that is what they used to tell us, but that info is old. You want to be on the floor next to big solid counters or on the floor next to the couch, or way out in the open. But you may not have time to get outside. If the roof pancakes in you want to be next to a strong, solid object that won't smash down. An air pocket can form next to something like a couch. Whatever you do, don't crawl under a table, lest you become PANCAKOPELLI! :D

I read just the other day that a lot of people moved to San Diego from San Francisco after the big 1906 quake. Looking on the internet, I could find no really big ones that have hit San Diego in my lifetime. There was a 6.5 at Borrego Mtn. in 1968, which is in SD county, I can't remember it. It was at 2 a.m. The San Andreas Fault runs at an NW-SE angle from LA out into the desert. So San Diego has always been thought of as being fairly safe. In the 70's they tore down all the pretty school buildings in San Diego I had grown up in, and built very ugly, uninspiring prison-like windowless boxes. And they think kids don't care? Here in little Round Valley we have some beautiful school buildings built in the late 1980s/early 90s. If Round Valley can build pretty schools, why not "progressive" California? Our schools not only have windows, but wonder of all wonders, you can OPEN the windows!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Apr 07 2010 7:47 am

How about that 7.7 that just hit Indonesia !? Now that was an Earthquake! If we get something like that here in CA, Yuma will probably be beachfront property (maybe I should buy land there like the wife wants...)

Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Apr 07 2010 7:50 am

Felt a 4.2 one when growing up in Prescott was centered in Paulden.... That was the only one major we felt it rolled the ground... My mom at first thought our woodstove was falling thru the floor....
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 07 2010 8:37 am

Anything 6.7 or above in Calif, you are talking major damage, despite all the building codes.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Aug 23 2011 11:32 am

smoke it

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Aug 23 2011 12:40 pm

chumley wrote:... and now a 5.9 in DC.
My building in NJ took a pretty good shaking in this one. It lasted well over a minute.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 23 2011 1:33 pm

big_load wrote:
chumley wrote:... and now a 5.9 in DC.
My building in NJ took a pretty good shaking in this one. It lasted well over a minute.
:o

big_load
You talkin' to me peli

Post by big_load » Aug 23 2011 2:51 pm

It was more interesting than scary. I've experienced much stronger earthquakes in Alaska. It was funny that most people didn't know what was going on and still couldn't quite grasp the concept when I said it was an earthquake. Our NC office felt it just as intensely, so the geographic range of the effect was pretty wide for a fairly small quake.

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Aug 23 2011 7:40 pm

Mexico city in the 70s about 6.7 epicenter in Acapulco, beds sliding across hotel floor, whole big windows falling out,swag lamps swinging and touching several points on the ceiling. people running down the hallway screaming in their underwear.

San Francisco in the 80s, a couple 4.8 always in the middle of the night.

Memphis, tenn when the new Madrid fault woke up, small like a 4.0 but I was on the 21st floor and the building sway was interesting.

San Diego for No12rthridge which did a lot of damage in LA, I just had a picture fall off the wall.

JimmyLyding
Sasquatchopelli
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Aug 23 2011 7:49 pm

Seismic bracing and calculations are part of my daily work life here in the Bay Area, and I can only imagine the damage sustained by capital equipment all across the East Coast. Today's earthquake's epicenter is in Zone 1 which means earthquakes are believed to be very unlikely and relatively weak. Consequently, I believe it's likely that the damage will run into the tens of billions of dollars. Still waiting for the Big One out here...

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 23 2011 8:11 pm

I was in the 6.7 in Kona in November 1983. Other than that, a lot of shake and bake in San Diego while I was growing up. The one in Kona shook that 100-year-old coffee shack like crazy, and I grabbed my newborn baby and ran out the door, but by the time I got there, it had stopped. My husband was right behind me with our two-year-old.

Hurricanes are a lot scarier, I think. They last a long time. I was in one of those in Kona, too. You don't want to be in a coffee shack in a hurricane.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli

Post by big_load » Aug 23 2011 8:56 pm

My biggest quakes were a 5.5 in Anchorage and a 6.1 elsewhere in AK. I totally agree with hurricanes being scarier.

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Aug 23 2011 10:50 pm

I was about a mile from the 1989 Loma Prieta quake epicenter on a hillside. That was interesting...
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Trishness
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Aug 27 2011 9:04 pm

I've never been in an earthquake and think that my life experiences in hurricanes, tornadoes, n'oreasters, blizzards and now haboobs should exclude me from ever having to be in one.
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

PrestonSands
Original Kokopelli
City, State: Oro Valley, AZ

Post by PrestonSands » Jun 29 2014 11:08 am

"I'm going for a coffee, but you never know when a hike might break out." -Jim Gaffigan

paulhubbard
Harley Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard » Jun 30 2014 11:41 am

earthquake.jpg
:sl:
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 01 2014 6:38 am

Earthquake last night, 11-30-2014, felt strongly by my daughter (and probaby everyone else who was awake), in Flagstaff, centered in Munds Park, a 4,7. Enough to rattle your dentures, probably not enough to break Grandma's china pitcher. I think it was a couple minutes before 11 p.m., not sure on the time. The news says it was felt in Sedona, etc.

Return to “Geology”