Looking for a book about phoenix geology

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
New2hyk
City, State: scottsdale, AZ

Looking for a book about phoenix geology

Post by New2hyk » Jan 13 2012 2:42 pm

As I have started to hike here, I am fascinated by the different mountains but don't know much about their names or geology :( . Are there any good books out there that have color pictures as well as some geology info about various mountains here?Image
thanks in advance

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Re: Looking for a book about phoenix geology

Post by PatrickL » Jan 13 2012 5:48 pm

The sandstone around Camelback has always kept me wondering.

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jan 13 2012 8:01 pm

Start off with Arizona Geology and then Hiking Arizona's Geology. Like tracks rock can tell a story, of fire, flood, upheaval and of a past life now incased in stone. Enjoy the "book".
jk

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 13 2012 9:47 pm

I find "Roadside Geology of Arizona" pretty handy, even though it's one of the older books in that series. Its sections pertaining to Phoenix are scattered according to different road segments, so it has more to say about the area than it might first seem. That's especially true if you factor in what it says about features (such as metamorphic core complexes) in other parts of the state that have analogs in the Phoenix area.

autumnstars
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » Jan 14 2012 10:27 am

Yes, the "Roadside Geology" series seems to be quite good. I've used the Arizona and Utah ones frequently.

You might also find a book called "Arizona Place Names" of interest, since you asked about the names. As indicated by the title, this book gives the history behind many of the place names in Arizona - very interesting reading.
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

New2hyk
City, State: scottsdale, AZ

Post by New2hyk » Jan 15 2012 8:43 am

thankyou autumnstars, big_load and nighthiker for the recommendations :) Luckily, I was able to find most of them as used books on ebay :y: can't wait to get started on reading.
Hi Patrick L, if I find answers to your thoughts, I will post them. For now, I have watched the educational series on sonoran preserve website and they gave me a good start about the general landscape/marcus landslide..etc :)

Return to “Geology”